• Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Front end noise

Hi All,

We have had an intermittent front end noise lately in the NS. I was only able to replicate and record tonight. Poor sound quality but you can hear it clearly from 9 secs. https://youtu.be/23q6dYoAYpY

I recently did a tyre rotation and couldn't find any noticeable CV or bearing issues on the front. The noise seems to happen at low speeds (1st/2nd gear). The front passenger CV was replaced just over 12 months ago.

In 2WD I had no noise tonight - only in 4wd.

Any ideas on what to look at would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

From reading other threads could be a vacuum or solenoid issue on the front diff but it seems usually the issue is in 2wd not 4wd like I have.
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• rgrubby
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2018
      • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Axis View Post
      From reading other threads could be a vacuum or solenoid issue on the front diff but it seems usually the issue is in 2wd not 4wd like I have.
      As I understand it vacuum is used to keep 2wd engaged, 4wd is the "natural state" with no vacuum.

If you are struggling to pinpoint the source of the noise you could try using a short hose, one end at your ear, poke the other end around to see if you can isolate the source
      2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Axis
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2011
        • Highett Vic

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
        As I understand it vacuum is used to keep 2wd engaged, 4wd is the "natural state" with no vacuum.

If you are struggling to pinpoint the source of the noise you could try using a short hose, one end at your ear, poke the other end around to see if you can isolate the source
        Thanks. It may be difficult as the car needs to be moving. I’m going to try a few things to find the source of the sound. Then I’ll see. For now it’s staying in 2WD

Comment

• rgrubby
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2018
          • Wellington - NZ

Thanks. It may be difficult as the car needs to be moving.
          Yeah that could make the hose method a bit tricky. How did you get it to make the noise while parked in the video?
          2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Axis
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Highett Vic

I was driving. Can't upload a sound file only so just put the pic into a movie file.

Confirmed yesterday the noise happens in all 4WD modes. Been too wet to do much else. Thinking of dropping the front diff oil to check for any issues - if nothing may drop transfer case oil as well.

Comment

• Axis
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Highett Vic

Still can't pinpoint the source of the noise. Have confirmed visually the front diff actuator is moving correctly.

Also found that I only get the noise in 4WD when there is some load. If I back off the accelerator or coast in neutral it stops.

Noise is now present all the time in 4WD - will get a better sound file. Driving perfectly in 2WD.

Comment

• RUGGA
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2014
                • Adelaide

Noise is now present all the time in 4WD - will get a better sound file. Driving perfectly in 2WD.

4WD or 4H
                02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Axis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Highett Vic

Hi Rugga,

All 4WD modes - 4H, 4HLC, 4LLC. Dropped and strained front diff oil yesterday and it was clear with no metal or paste on magnet - I changed this in Jan (13k kms ago).

Today I'll drop the transfer case oil and see what that is like.

Here is an updated vid of the noise in the driveway in 4H.

Cheers,
                  James

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

I think the only happens in 4WD or at low revs is probably related to the correct vibration for the noise to occur

Sounds to me something like one of the heat sheilds or small metal tangs that come off the exhaust system has broken its weld. I only say as I had a very similar sound and found it to be a broken weld on a tang. Only occurred at low speed and low idle.

I'd be underneath with a rubber mallet a systematically tap things from front back. I wouldnt start dropping oils bud until fully checked for loose stuff.

Im going with either exhaust system as stated above or engine/transmission mounts or perhaps the front shaft stricking something. Last guess since you did a tyre rotation recently........metal baking plates behing rotors.
                    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Sorell, Tasmania

Just replayed your videos......

Could it be one of those metal dust covers over one of the props
                      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Axis
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Highett Vic

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                        Just replayed your videos......

Could it be one of those metal dust covers over one of the props
                        Will check those, the backing plates and exhaust. Transfer is due for an oil change anyway so will probably do it anyway. Have been worried about driving too fast in 4H but might do some more testing.

Thanks for the input

Comment

• Axis
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • Highett Vic

Got under again and moved things around. I noticed a lot of movement in the transfer case. Compared it to a mates NX which has far less movement (newer and less kms, also mine is MT vs their AT). Checked brake backing plates and exhaust - no issues there. Wouldn't you know it - i then put the paj in 4H for the first time today and no noise.

The rear of the front prop shaft also has a loose noise when holding the rear metal dust cover. I'll put up a vid of this. Mates NX doesn't have the same movement.
                          edit: video link of back of front drive shaft https://youtu.be/FO8bg0w8_SA

Might need to look at replacing the transmission mounts (probably should do engine at the same time).
                          Last edited by Axis; 15-08-19, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Axis
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Highett Vic

Last update on this issue for now - noise is still gone. Have been driving mostly in 2H but did a fair amount in 4H on Monday - headed up Baw Baw way.

I did do a gearbox and transfer oil change however the noise had gone before I did those.

Comment

• tonee
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Queensland

What did you do, replaced the transmission mounts?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X