Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Not happy with Safari Snorkel (Problem Fixed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NIFTY NEV
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by brett View Post
    I thought there was only standard and heavy duty for the rear. What springs did they put in that were 25mm longer, are they a one off or do they have an ARB part number?
    Not sure they told me they were their springs and they got them in from melbourne. Their was an NT gl with steel rims sitting next to my NS which they put the same rear springs and shocks in and the height was the same.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

Originally posted by NIFTY NEV View Post
      Yep.
      Seems to be around the 21-2200 rev range.Even in 3rd gear at about 50kms it drones.
      When in 5th at 110-115 you get a vibration through the pedal and even the wheel slightly. ARB are doing the 3rd set of rear springs tommorrow and I told them about other forumites problems.
      They said it could be where the snorkel comes out from the guard inner and said they;d look at it.
      Will let you know but I,m not gonna hold my breath
      Nev.
      We might have to get on to head office if we don't get any help from the dealers. I've just been up to Mansfield and Mt Stirling on the weekend and anywhere from 102km/h - 110km/h it drones. I had to stick right on 100km/ to avoid it. Not happy at all.

Still waiting to hear back from ARB. Will keep you posted.
      2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007

you may need to add a disruption to the air flow somewhere to get rid of any vortex shedding induced resonance .... should not be too hard to track down

is the snorkel able to be squashed to change shape etc at any point to help id source of noise 'excitement'..
        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007

I'm 99% sure its a resonance issue rather than a panel vibration one so it may be fixable with an extra baffle to disrupt the air as matthewfnorbert said.
          I've tried to deform the snorkel to locate the area it's happening but its too stiff. Any suggestions?

What can I do to dirupt the resonance? Obviously I need to put something in the tubing but where? and what?

Cheers, Sam.
          Last edited by Hookedon4wding; 26-05-09, 03:22 PM.

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

Update:

ARB have offered to pick the car up from me on Friday (1 hour from their workshop) and return it same day. Back in the goodbooks

Safari have given them some possible remedies so hopefully it gets resolved.

Cheers, Sam.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007

Problem Fixed!

ARB picked the car up from my office on Friday and managed to fix the problem by applying some foam tape to areas inside the guard and on the A pillar as well as putting some pressure on the one of the inlet tubes to ensure it didn't move/vibrate.

Drove the car quite a bit on the weekend and the vibration is now gone so I'm very happy.

Steve at ARB Brighton (Vic) has said that they'll now apply the same fix to all new installations to ensure it doesn't happen to other Paj's.

Credit where it's due, Steve was on annual leave for two weeks when this occured, hence his delayed response. Once notified of the problem it was fixed quickly.

Nifty Nev, might be worth contacting them to see exactly what they did.

Cheers, Sam.

Comment

• Jd23
                • Mar 2019
                • Western australia

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
                Problem Fixed!

ARB picked the car up from my office on Friday and managed to fix the problem by applying some foam tape to areas inside the guard and on the A pillar as well as putting some pressure on the one of the inlet tubes to ensure it didn't move/vibrate.

Drove the car quite a bit on the weekend and the vibration is now gone so I'm very happy.

Steve at ARB Brighton (Vic) has said that they'll now apply the same fix to all new installations to ensure it doesn't happen to other Paj's.

Credit where it's due, Steve was on annual leave for two weeks when this occured, hence his delayed response. Once notified of the problem it was fixed quickly.

Nifty Nev, might be worth contacting them to see exactly what they did.

Cheers, Sam.
                Hi, could you please post photos of what ARB did to fix your issue? I’m having the exact same issue with my NW and would love to fix it. Thanks!

Comment

• JoshF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Jd23 View Post
                  Hi, could you please post photos of what ARB did to fix your issue? I’m having the exact same issue with my NW and would love to fix it. Thanks!
                  His last logon was 2012, but you might find him on pradopoint these days
                  NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                  Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Old pops
                    • Aug 2020
                    • United Kingdom

Snorkel

Hi guys I’m new to the site but had same sort of issues without my safari snorkel I found it was the lugs on the air box rattling in the holed slots only moving a small amount can hardly see it but it vibrates all the way to the pedals I’ve put a heavy duty luggage strap around air box and pushed foam into the slots between lugs and holed slots it seems to have worked also I’ve moved original washer bottle to opposite wing cut off neck and put a flex pipe back instead which connects to the original filler that means still get loads of washer liquid and can keep original pumps and keep headlight washers just extending wiring and re routing washer pipes well I say I did it my mates a mechanic so he did it hope this helps someone

Comment

• Connellyrig
                      • Sep 2020
                      • Baldivis WA

Hey Old Pops. I don’t suppose you’ve got any pictures of where you moved the original washer bottle to and how/where you cut off the neck and fixed the flex pipe on?

Comment

• Old pops
                        • Aug 2020
                        • United Kingdom

Here’s some photos think I’ve done them right ,can’t really take more detailed photos I’d have to remove iner wing plastic guards,and to be honest all you can see then is the bottom of bottle,hope these help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Old pops
                          • Aug 2020
                          • United Kingdom

When you cut neck off bottle,then add flexible rubber tube to connect them use pleanty of sealant (sikaflex) I used,but had to remove it 4 times as it didn’t seal properly,so make sure it’s water tight ,also found a breather that I fitted with another small tube with a diff breather filter on the end,cabletied that to top of neck,you can see it in photos,blue pipe .hope this is some use to you .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X