• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Play day @ Wilbinga

So on late notice, arranged about 2130 the night before, SteveMc181 and Hammer07 (who I incidently grew up with and haven't seen for over 25 years) met up with myself for a play day @ Wilbinga.

On one of the best winter's day you could get, we made our way in:

And soon enough were at the air down point:

then down the track, ascending the dune of the "bowl" we made our way for the coast:

Last edited by sharkcaver; 05-06-16, 10:49 PM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • sharkcaver
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Down on the coast, a party of about 5 vehicles came past and shot up one of the adjacent dunes. One of the party got stuck part way up and caused chaos for the following vehicles. Unfortunately, the dude in the cruiser, made a wrong deviation in reverse and was now stuck fast, at the bottom of a very soft and steep section of dune:

We still shake our heads and can not understand why? his mates, sat in their respective cars, some hundred meters or so away, and offered no assistance to the poor fella, well and truly stuck in a shitty situation - what the? - anyway, being fair minded Paj blokes, we assisted:

Nearing the top of the sloppy slope, he was stuck fast and couldnt even get onto the Maxtrax - Until Steve asked if he was in low range - of which he was not. Subsequently reversed back on the maxtrax for yet another run up, this time success:

So now after some hard work he was out and rejoined his slack arse mates. If it was me, I would have told them to go screw themselves. But we got a reward for our efforts: Best you dont drink that Steve till the CSR....seeing you buggered off with the bottle

The whole time witnessing this event, all I could do was think - what can I do to make my paj sound like this:

This is "V8 Cruiser, stuck @ Wilbinga" by sharkcaver on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
    Last edited by sharkcaver; 05-06-16, 10:40 PM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Being such a lovely day, and no bloody wind - a first for Wilbinga - it was time for a fry up for lunch:

And eventually hit the tracks again. After checking out some country to the South, we returned to the Sand Bowl:

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
        • May 2009
        • Perth

It was then Hammer spotted a dune and the lure was too great, so up he went and came down again:

Not to be outdone, the competitive old bugger - "It might be small, but it packs a punch"- had to show he had the goods too.

So I guess, it was now my turn:

Last edited by sharkcaver; 05-06-16, 11:08 PM.

My Journeys

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          Best you dont drink that Steve till the CSR....seeing you buggered off with the bottle
          Bahahahaha! I thought it was finders keepers!
          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• sharkcaver
            • May 2009
            • Perth

However, mine doesn't have any punch any more

So after two failed attempts, I returned to basics: tyre pressure

Interestingly, my tyres had gained at least 6PSI since I let them down. If only I could work out how I did that, I would have a ready business opportunity - self inflating tyres

So with pressures a lot lower, I whipped that mofo dune's sorry arse:

And then it was time for home. Unfortunately I have now gained a slight under body knock. So I guess apart from emptying the tonne and a half of sand from my tranny plate and sump guard, I have to find the source of that noise now.

I just wanted to say to Steve and Hammer, cheers for a great day out. We should do it again some time
            Last edited by sharkcaver; 05-06-16, 11:07 PM.

My Journeys

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Thanks for the report Shane, it turned out to be a good day both weather wise and company wise. It was made a great day by conquering the hill where two land cruisers couldn't get up! Though I think the whole group were a tad inexperienced and certainly didn't have their mates best interests at heart.

The moral of the story: If you want to share the Scotch, bring a flask!

We'll have to head out again one weekend for an overnighter somewhere.
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Jaster
                • Apr 2008
                • Wollongong, NSW

Wow, looks like a good day ... I'd need a little more notice though ...
                Current: Cool Silver '11 NT RX Auto
                Retired: Green '02 NM Exceed Manual

Comment

• grhyso
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Perth

Well the cruisers numberplate sumps up his trans selection stuff up well.

Looks like a great day guys, always nice up there if you can stay away from the bogans though i dare say i am being spoilt with cable beach at the moment.
                  2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• grhyso
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Perth

As for the underbody knock, if you have the trans bashplates fitted try tightening the bolts at the auto crossmember. My old ironman plates sent me round the twist trying to find an underbody knock and the bushskinz produced the same noise after a few hundred kms of corrugations.
                    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                      As for the underbody knock, if you have the trans bashplates fitted try tightening the bolts at the auto crossmember. My old ironman plates sent me round the twist trying to find an underbody knock and the bushskinz produced the same noise after a few hundred kms of corrugations.
                      Thanks mate. I think I found the culprit. The LRA tank was hitting the rear crossmember. Sorted that by insulating the components with a piece of rubber sheet. Noise now gone

My Journeys

Comment

• Connormcintosh
                        • Jun 2015
                        • Gascoyne Junction

Good day

Looks like a good day out!!! We are there pretty often, would be there even more often if it wasn't for the idiots that are usually inhabiting the area. We are only about twenty minutes from there so a good back up.
                        Had; 2005 NP 3.8L auto with all the berries

Now 2010 Patrol Zd30 with even more berries

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • Wellington,New Zealand

so what sorta pressure do you guys run in that soft stuff?
                          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                            so what sorta pressure do you guys run in that soft stuff?
                            l

We were running on 16psi most of the day, but I did drop to 10psi when I went up and did the loop where the Landcruiser was stuck. It was surprisingly soft for this time of year, I've only been to Wilbinga twice, but last trip the sand was not as soft as this time. We went to test out some recovery gear and had trouble bogging the Pajero's that day, even at road pressures.

I thought with all the rain around that the sand would be a fair bit firmer, but that wasn't the case.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2014
                              • Wellington,New Zealand

i wouldnt have contemplated 10 psi,good to know .Dont do much sand here!
                              2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                              BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X