• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dagsdog
    • Mar 2015
    • Wauchope

Best Locker for nm

Just after some info on locker diffs. What's the best way to set up my nm 3.5 manual,as I like to have some fun in the old girl
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

I don't think there is an E-Locker available for the Pajero - ie. electrically activated. That would be my first choice. I have an air locker in the rear diff of my NP, which has traction control but I prefer to have the option of a diff lock as the traction control has its limitations.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• daniel1582
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

air lockers are really your only option. As Ghendo mentioned e-lockers aren't available for gen 3 and to use an auto locker is possible but you loose the 4H function on bitumen as this will engage the locker when ever any variation of 4WD is engaged (if fitted to the front that is).
      Daniel1582

2001 NM Exceed, V6 Auto, Toughdog/Lovells 2" lift, side awning, rooftop tent, Owl Lighting 140w LED Driving lights, 80ch UHF, 285/75/16 goodyear wrangler duratrac

Comment

• Gus
        Administrator
        • Mar 2008
        • Traralgon. Vic

If your LSD in the rear is good & it should be.. I'd go an air locker up front.

I've found it transformed mine off road..
        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

Originally posted by Gus View Post

Agree 100%. Had the same setup on the Triton and it went everywhere the twin locked ones did. Learn to use the handbrake to load up the LSD and you'll have the best combination of all. Much nicer than the TC I have on the Paj and even though that's twin locked, I use the front one first.
          Chris

Comment

• Bundyk
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2012
            • North Nowra

Originally posted by Gus View Post

This is the setup I'm aiming for as well. Probably the TJM Pro-locker. LSD in the back works a treat...once you get used to the way it works.
            Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• MatthewP
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • North of Brisbane

Originally posted by daniel1582 View Post
              air lockers are really your only option. As Ghendo mentioned e-lockers aren't available for gen 3 and to use an auto locker is possible but you loose the 4H function on bitumen as this will engage the locker when ever any variation of 4WD is engaged (if fitted to the front that is).
              I don't see how an auto locker will effect 4H on road too much at all.

My understanding of an auto locker, ( please correct me if I'm wrong), is that there is no differential action but that it makes the axles rotate at a minimum of 100 percent of the driven speed but it allows the axles to spin faster than that if they are able.

which is what happens when cornering.
              the inside tyre will rotate at 100 percent of the driven speed but because the outside tyre is travelling through a larger arc the distance it travels across the ground is further so it will rotate faster than the driven speed.

As long as the the centre diff isn't locked you could have one front and rear and they shouldn't effect each other because the front and rear drive shafts aren't forced to run at the same speed like they are when the centre diif is locked.

Once the centre diff is locked then you may have issues if you have them in both the front and rear, and are driving on bitumen, because the inside front and rear tyres will be driven at the same speed but are travelling different distances over different arcs during a turn.

But driving on high traction surfaces, like bitumen, with the centre diff locked isn't recommended anyway.

I agree with the others that the stock Torsen style lsd in the rear is one of the best lsd and can be helped to lock up with a bit of handbrake action, so your money is better spent putting a locker in the front. Either Auto locker or Air locker.

You get what you pay for with auto lockers, the cheaper and simpler ones will clunk more as they engage and disengage the overrun.
              Eaton Detroit Auto lockers have spring packs and stuff in them to ease the diff into disengaging and engaging, so they will be quieter and smoother but that does come with a higher cost.

I dont know if Eaton even make a Detroit Locker for the front of the Paj, but I thought I would comment about them to illustrate that not all Auto lockers are the same.

Because my NP has traction control and the wife drives it more as a family car then its off road and even then she will be driving it sometimes too,
              If I had the money I would put torsen lsds front and rear and let the traction control help the diffs start transferring torque and use the handbrake to give it a bit of help when needed.

I know that setup wouldn't be as effective as having a locker, but it would help quite a bit and is completely idiot proof.

And its usually me that proves themselves to be the idiot rather than the wife.

Matt
              Last edited by MatthewP; 18-03-15, 10:59 PM.
              05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

The problem with an auto locker in the front of an AWD (4H) is that it can produce some rather unexpected handling and directional changes as the tyres grip when drive is returned to them by the differential. So, in a corner there is a tendency to pull to the inside of the corner because the inner wheel is driving while the outer freewheels. In a situation where more power is applied this is amplified when the outside wheel stops freewheeling and begins driving again. This creates even more pull, well push actually, to the inside of the corner. If enough power is used to break traction at the rear then it gets even worse and on slippery or greasy roads reaches an even greater magnitude of dangerous.

By contrast, normal Super Select (with the open front diff) in the same situation provides much needed grip and very predictable handling.

Although it sounds good, an auto locker with Super Select is not a good thing. Even worse if other people, who may not be expecting this kind of behaviour, may be driving the vehicle. Basically, if you have Super Select, then a manually operated (air or electric) front locker is a much safer proposition.
                Chris

Comment

• Goodsy
                  Who ya gunna call....
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Hervey Bay

As Gus said and others agreed. Air locker up front. You have a great LSD in the rear.
                  This combo will get you almost anywhere.

Auto lockers should be called an auto unlocker as they are locked 99% of the time.
                  Would only have one in the rear and never in the front of a super select Pajero.
                  Actually I would never have one.
                  .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                  NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Kumabear
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Sydney, Macarther Region

not to mention the additional strain that having a auto locker puts on the power steering and other steering components.

Once you are off road and in 4x4 its always locked and can take a fair bit of force to unlock, mixed with having to come off the power.

Mate has one in his hilux and the poor power steering is copping a beating, sounds like a scolded rat.
                    2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• basil
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Gembrook

As others have said, air locker up front.
                      Had the auto lockers and they do work but are a pain in the a__ most of the time.
                      If you are into shoulder reconstructions then the auto lockers are fine , but you will never look back with an air locker.

Cheers,

Comment

• pajflareo
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Syd

How much are the ARB and TJM air lockers (including install) these days?

Comment

• offroaddad
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Perth

Hi Pajflaro,
                          last time I looked ARB was $1700 installed for front locker plus approx $550 for a compressor under the bonnet. If you go to one of the 4x4 shows then ARB was offering good specials last time I went. From memory TJM was more expensive, but I can't remember the price.
                          Regards.

Comment

• bigmadjules
                            • Sep 2014
                            • Tasmania

Yep, lockers up front, leave the LSD alone. Mate of mine that comes out all the time is considering removing his rear lockers as they, believe it or not, limit his high range driveability, especially on sand. He does drive a Triton though...
                            05/00 NM Forester Green GLX 5spd 4M40T. Alloy Bar; Bushskinz; 2" lift; X-Rays; TJM Airtec; Oricom; Bridgestone M/T 764; Hybrid TF035/TD04 (4M41 turbine wheel/WRX 15G compressor wheel). Coming Soon: diff breathers; winch

Comment

• Rich0
                              • Dec 2011
                              • Sydney, South

I'm saving my pennies for an air locker. I've read before Gus' and others preference to leave the LSD alone and go for a front locker only but I always dismissed it because of loss of steering. But I've seen a rear locker push forward under steering anyway.
                              I've got a good feel for my LSD but not a good understanding of the handbrake technique. So, has this been written up before? And the fellas with front lockers, has it ever been an issue needing to steer with the front locker engaged?
                              I'm hearing you when you say leave the LSD alone. It leaves a lot of others behind.
                              2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
                              My build thread on the to do list

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X