• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustyjai
    • Jan 2020
    • New Zealand

Temperature Gauge Reading Low - 4D56t

Hi All,

I've recently picked up a first-gen 1990 Pajero with the 4D56t.

Seems as though the Temperature Gauge on the tacho only goes to quarter (when running normally) as opposed to halfway like on every other vehicle. With a heavy foot, the gauge reaches just over a quarter but never gets to halfway.

So far I have replaced the Temp Sender Unit and cleaned the plug contacts with electrical spray, with no luck.

Any ideas?
    (I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket temp gauge, anyone know of the coolant hose size and normal operating temperatures?)

Cheers
  • Ratbago
    • Sep 2019
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by rustyjai View Post
    Hi All,

Seems as though the Temperature Gauge on the tacho only goes to quarter (when running normally) as opposed to halfway like on every other vehicle. With a heavy foot, the gauge reaches just over a quarter but never gets to halfway.

So far I have replaced the Temp Sender Unit and cleaned the plug contacts with electrical spray, with no luck.

Any ideas?
    (I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket temp gauge, anyone know of the coolant hose size and normal operating temperatures?)

Cheers

Thermostat is probably stuck open, check that first. From memory the radiator hoses are 36 mm ID , not 100 percent sure though so when you check the thermostat just measure them up.

Comment

• Kingmarz
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2016
      • South Island New Zealand

Originally posted by ratbago View Post
      thermostat is probably stuck open

02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• eyeballgummy
        • Feb 2009
        • In The Bush Somewhere

Pull the sender out, earth it and tip boiling water over it. See then what the gauge reads. If its still barley moving, maybe the gauge has lost some sensitivity, cant remember if they use springs or not, but from memory its easy to replace them alone in the cluster. Or just note where boiling is on the gauge and stay out of that range. Mine never breaks half way under heavy steam. Used to go past 3/4 but that was fixed with a proper radiator clean - desoldered and all vanes cleaned.

Comment

• Nebra
          • Sep 2020
          • US

Originally posted by rustyjai View Post
          Hi All,

Any ideas?

Cheers
          Just curious, what's the mileage it has already run. And how's the overall condition of this '90 model.
          https://www.hod9.com

Comment

• rustyjai
            • Jan 2020
            • New Zealand

Originally posted by Nebra View Post
            Just curious, what's the mileage it has already run. And how's the overall condition of this '90 model.
            270,000km's on the clock, has a brand new cambelt and engine runs pretty sweet.
            I tried the idea of pouring boiling water over the earthed temp sending unit. With 90 degree hot water, the temperature gauge reads just under halfway, so this suggests the thermostat.

Now to figure out why the transfer case/front diff makes a grinding noise/clunk when in 4x4.

Comment

• cruisn06
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • Perth WA

All my diesels have read the lower quarter. if you are reading higher, aka half way or above, you are not only getting the coolant hot, but pushing it that hard your egts will be cooking to. its not a race car. slow and steady and they will last for ever.
              07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X