• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Holy arachnids Batman!

So I replaced the radiator hoses & thermostat on the NL on the weekend.

Hmm , I noticed it was running a few degrees warmer & would go to 95 & then back to 90 again in a very short while. So I pulled the thermostat & found this!!! Now theres another reason to hate spiders. Wonder how the bugger got in & where the hell is the rest of him, probably at the botom of the radiator I suppose.
    Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 14-03-13, 07:40 PM.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker
  • Barfly
    • Jan 2013
    • Hopetoun WA

lol. I remember as a kid my mum used to always say "You keep drinking from the end of that hose and you'll get a spider in your mouth.

Cheers Max.
    1991 NH GLS

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

"Golly Glycol Robin, tell your mate Spiderman to stop peeing in the coolant!!!"
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Least its well cooked.

Gives me the shivers
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Lazyc
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2011
          • Brisbane

Thank you for sharing.

I think i will now do under the bonnet as well as under the seats weekly...

and chassis rails.

LC

Comment

• t-rex1995
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2011
            • Imbil Via Gympie QLD

just after dinner and watching them eat spiders it totally ed up
            Formely 93 NH Pajero LWB, 3.0L V6 NOW OWN 2004 GU Patrol Wagon T/Diesel 3LT
            WITH 4'' TOUGHDOG SUSPENSION, FULL 3'' TBE, EGT & BOOST GAUGE 33'' MUDDIES, 21'' LED LIGHT BAR

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

that's brilliant. But a little worrying

On an unrelated note (sorry if I've asked you this before, I know I've asked a couple people this over the last little while), what are you using to monitor your engine temps? Thinking of going one of those sensors that go under one of the bolts on the block (like a washer) but unsure where is best to put it if I did go that way. Don't have a spare bung around the thermostat to put an extra sensor and I'd like to ideally keep the stock temp gauge working
              MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
              Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2000
                • Tasmania

I run a set of Odyssey blue digital gauges in the NL

As far as the sensor goes you just tap out the bolt hole near the top hose with a 1/8 bsp tap & away you go.

I also run the original gauge. BTW the digital gaues are super sensitive & can sense even a 1 deg change whereas the original guages are over dampened. I would not have picked up the spider problem if I was relying on the original gauge.

cheers

Comment

• Lazyc
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • Brisbane

i have a set of autometer guages in the dash pod, oil pressure, water temp and volts.

very nice, works well. the water temp will climb up a few degrees when behind a truck or going up a hill, as you go back to flat road or clear air it goes straight back down.

LC

Comment

• TC.Barky
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                    I run a set of Odyssey blue digital gauges in the NL

As far as the sensor goes you just tap out the bolt hole near the top hose with a 1/8 bsp tap & away you go.

I also run the original gauge. BTW the digital gaues are super sensitive & can sense even a 1 deg change whereas the original guages are over dampened. I would not have picked up the spider problem if I was relying on the original gauge.

cheers
                    Would love to do this, but I don't have an extra hole for some reason, it's a solid blank (see attached) I'm not game to drill it myself either. I like the idea of the bolt washer style ones for simplicity but I'm not sure its going to be necessarily as accurate (it would vary depending on which bolt you picked and it wouldn't show change as rapidly).

Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2000
                      • Tasmania

There should be a bolt in the housing that takes the top water hose, it sits just under the plastic cover , I didnt have the tools to take the cover off so I couldnt do a photo of it for you.

The original bolt (I dont know what its for ) but it allows access to the coolant & picks up the temp off the water not the metail block.

Yours is a 3.5l ??

Comment

• TC.Barky
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                        There should be a bolt in the housing that takes the top water hose, it sits just under the plastic cover , I didnt have the tools to take the cover off so I couldnt do a photo of it for you.

The original bolt (I dont know what its for ) but it allows access to the coolant & picks up the temp off the water not the metail block.

Yours is a 3.5l ??
                        Yeah 3.5 SOHC. Yeah it's weird, I've had this discussion with Pauly before and he reckons that's the spot where the hole should be but for some reason I don't have it Here's another picture of it from a different angle to show the area it's in. There's two holes with the stock temp senders in em (ECU and dash gauge) and then just that blanked bit with nothing else.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2000
                          • Tasmania

heres a pic of a pajero motor

the bolt you want is in the top hose housing, you can see it here

There is a gold sticker with writing under it.

What does your top hose housing look like? can you take a pic of where the hose goes on?

Comment

• TC.Barky
                            Valued Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • Melbourne

*cough* whelp. That's embarassing. I've just had a look at this picture (below) and it's the same as in the pic you put up. I took it apart a long time ago for these photos for unrelated reasons and was looking at a pic of the wrong spot when I was talking to Pauly about it. Is the open (threaded) part for the engine cover and the bolt the actual part you are referring to? So all I have to do is remove that bolt, tap the hole and screw in a sensor probe? That's really friggin annoying that I didn't look at this picture last time hahaha.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2000
                              • Tasmania

Thought it sounded strange, anyway yes thats the one you want, just retap it with a 1/8 bsp tap & screw in your sensor & away you go. Good luck

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X