Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Market place > Wanted

Old 4 Days Ago
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

The ARB gets hammered on some reviews out of the states. (mainly heat related failures from under bonnet mountings) That said, I have one in each vehicle - rear mounted. It's not as fast as the thumper by a long shot, but hopefully it is more reliable. So far, that has been the case......touch wood. They are a lot of dollars, but in the end for me, it seemed to work out best than some of the competition.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 20 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Considered using 2 compressors?
No. Actually my truck (98 Montero, 4M40 naturally aspirated) is very light, I don't like to add unnecessary weight. I like getting 900km per tank .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I had a quick look on the Australia Post website, and it looked like standard parcel post to the US would be about AU$150 / nominally 5 days, based on a 10kg parcel. I thought that was still on the high side, but is that any more palatable to you?

Alternatively, have you tried Thomas compressors? https://www.gardnerdenver.com/en-au/...il-less-series
Yes. The thing is that I saw many reviews online of the Thumper by 4WDSC, basically saying that this thing is a beast, that I just fell in love with it. Its also difficult to see past the price...

Anyhow, It got me thinking that this compressor is "probably" built in China, so I started looking at that direction, and I found this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...651172247.html

This is the same as the Thumper, but in red. It is also probably from the same exact factory, just made in another color... I already ordered this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
If you buy quality and look after it, it will last a long time.
I am still waiting for my 30+ year old twin cylinder compressor to die, it is really slow but consumes low amps and is super reliable. Most of the time I am in no hurry to reinflate my tyres, and if there is a rush it is because of the others I travel with. Now days when I travel with others, they know how slow my vintage compressor is so they park either side of me, inflate their tyres and then mine in less time than my compressor takes.

If and when get around to replacing mine it will be a ARB CKMA12, relatively small and light, high output and at a reasonable price. This is the most common compressor my generous co-travellers use.

OJ.
My current compressor takes about 30 minutes to inflate all 4 tires from 12psi to 35psi. It takes 5 minutes per tire, and the duty cycle is 10/10 so after 2 tires, I need to let it rest for 10 minutes, and when I see the reviews that this dual-cylinder compressor takes 1.5 minutes to inflate a 35" tire...

We go to the beach a lot, so I spend a lot of time airing down and airing up. It would be a charm to be done in less than, hell, 10 minutes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
The ARB gets hammered on some reviews out of the states. (mainly heat related failures from under bonnet mountings) That said, I have one in each vehicle - rear mounted. It's not as fast as the thumper by a long shot, but hopefully it is more reliable. So far, that has been the case......touch wood. They are a lot of dollars, but in the end for me, it seemed to work out best than some of the competition.
I would never mount an air compressor outside of the cabin of the vehicle. You are asking for trouble in my opinion. Keep it clean and dry inside the cab. I know that the ARBs have filters, so do many other brands, but why risk it if you can keep it inside?
Old 20 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Mounting outside inside the spare tyre will be a risk i am willing to take.

It will consume the same air during use as a compressor inside the vehicle & won't be sucking anything driving along a dirt track.

My climate is also fairly stable

If the water level ever reaches those heights, it would probably get fairly wet inside the vehicle anyhow & be the least of my worries
Old 19 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
Mounting outside inside the spare tyre will be a risk i am willing to take.

It will consume the same air during use as a compressor inside the vehicle & won't be sucking anything driving along a dirt track.

My climate is also fairly stable

If the water level ever reaches those heights, it would probably get fairly wet inside the vehicle anyhow & be the least of my worries
I've seen worse. There are people who mount the compressors underneath the car?
Old 18 Hours Ago
Valued Member

FYI only

I hope your cheapie works out well, but if it doesn't

The ARB compressor CKMA12 is $345 Aussie dollar includes loom & bracket

I notice on EBAY US dollar $290 Free shipping out of Wisconsin where ever that may be

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARB-CKMA...1&isGTR=1#shId

All the best mate