Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 1 Week Ago

Default My SWB Is Superb on the Beach :)

Last weekend was spent all over Teewah Beach and Rainbow Beach up here in Qld.

My NL SWB Pajero is unstoppable.

I deliberately got bogged to try out my new MaxTrax. But I thought I'd try 4L first before reaching for the shovel. Still yet to try out the MaxTrax.

Couldn't fault the new Falken WildPeak AT3Ws either.

Happy days.

Pity about the paint fade, squeaks, rattles and fuel consumption. And the rear door handle is now giving me grief. But even with these foibles it is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Maybe a SWB NT might trump it?
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw0513 View Post
Last weekend was spent all over Teewah Beach and Rainbow Beach up here in Qld.

My NL SWB Pajero is unstoppable.

I deliberately got bogged to try out my new MaxTrax. But I thought I'd try 4L first before reaching for the shovel. Still yet to try out the MaxTrax.

Couldn't fault the new Falken WildPeak AT3Ws either.

Happy days.

Pity about the paint fade, squeaks, rattles and fuel consumption. And the rear door handle is now giving me grief. But even with these foibles it is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Ssssh Don't tell anyone else about our little secret!. Any pics of your bus
XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery, GEN2 front brake calipers.
1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
In terms of power to weight, I don't know that there would be much in it - I suspect the NT will be heavier to offset any extra power it might have.

If the NT is a diesel, it's bottom end torque would win in any torque to weight comparisons - cue the arguments about whether power or torque is more important on a beach.

My Shorty, with only the three litre engine and 33" tyres, was a lot of fun in sand - beaches, dunes, Fraser, Simpson - with the right tyre pressures. I wouldn't say unstoppable, but I don't recall ever needing to be recovered - I believe I was always able to reverse out.

My NT, admittedly the LWB so larger and heavier, has needed to be recovered too many times - and not always because I broke the transfer case.

It took me too long to learn that, when no longer moving forward, stop trying. Continuing to spin the wheels just digs the holes deeper, until the vehicle is bellied and all four wheels are at max droop. I believe the solid rear in the Gen 2 helps limit how far the rear tyres can bury themselves, making it easier to reverse out and try again.

So yes, I think an NT shorty would be a lot of fun on sand, but I'm not sure it would be better than your NL in every way.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 1 Week Ago

Here it is at Teewah. Heaven on earth - except for all the Red P Platers that want to go everywhere at 4500 rpm!

I like the idea of your 2.8 diesel SWB though. I'd never buy another vehicle if I could get 10km/L out of a SWB NL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1540_r.jpg (155.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
.......if I could get 10km/L out of a SWB NL.
I track the use of mine, but I don’t pay attention to it
Uses more than I would imagine especially compared to the 2 LWBs in the family.

Yours looks nice
Beach driving is fun. I’m yet to take my shorty to the beach. One day hopefully.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 1 Week Ago

Just to keep my longer term SWB dream on the boil - would a diesel NS be as good as a diesel NT? My thinking is the later NT model would be the better choice but interested in opinions.

Not that there are many, but there are more NS SWB models around. I've only ever seen one NT SWB up for sale. I was considering it, but it was two states away and advertised at the time of the original COVID shutdown.

I am very lucky the original owner of my NL didn't tick the "air bag" option.

And beach driving is great. Especially if you can end a trip near one of those automated under car body spray wash bays. The one on Noosa North Shore is fantastic.
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Just to keep my longer term SWB dream on the boil - would a diesel NS be as good as a diesel NT? My thinking is the later NT model would be the better choice but interested in opinions.
My SWB NL is definitely a keeper. No way I'm selling it
XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery, GEN2 front brake calipers.
1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK
Old 4 Days Ago

Fraiser Island last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedro01.jpg (71.3 KB, 29 views)