Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 10-11-12

Default Transmission oil cooler

Hi All,
Recently had my NP serviced 180000, Timing belt kit, water pump, all oils etc. The mechanic decided to redirect the transmission oil bypassing the radiator directly to the trans cooler. I am a bit concerned as to is this the way to go or not. Have never had a cooling or transmission problem.
AS a guide I tow a 2t caravan fairly extensively and do a fair bit of desert/outback travelling.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Mike.
Old 10-11-12
Valued Member

I asked my mechanic to do the same thing and he advised against it as he reckoned it was to warm the trans up quicker at start up ? never looked too much more into it,, he also said that it would be a better idea to just replace the existing cooler with a larger unit or possibly fit a thermo fan to it with an over-ride switch, which would be handy for slow beach work on hot days !!! and towing heavy.
might be worth calling a couple of trans shops?
cheers cam
NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax
Old 10-11-12
Valued Member

It's a hard call - an important issue is whether or not the Pajero transmission has a temp sensitive valve that stops the fluid circulating before it's warmed up. I think it does have but I can't recall what I was reading that led me to that conclusion a few years back.

When the Paj is working hard on a hot day, the engine radiator is unlikely to provide much cooling effect because the transmission fluid will be very little hotter than the coolant in the radiator and in reality there could be a tendency to bring the coolant up to a higher temp than is desirable.

However, given the wish of vehicle manufacturers to cut every few cents of cost out of building their vehicles, I wonder why Mitsubishi would have gone to the expense of putting the radiator diversion for the fluid into the Pajero if there isn't a reason?

So I can't offer a useful opinion!?
Gaz

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
Old 13-11-12

Thanks for the replies guys.
Not sure if to convert back to standard or not, guess I will leave it for a while & see.
Thanks Mike.
Old 13-11-12

Car companies spend a big amount of development money designing efficient and reliable vehicles for us to drive with minimum downtime giving us good reliability. I personally would not change something that works fine.

I tow a 2300kg van but have added an extra transmission oil cooler with a fan attached which is activated with a 70deg nc thermostat attached to the oil hose coming into the filter.
My best purchase is a oil transmission temp gauge fitted to the pipe coming out of the tranny. This allows you to get an accurate idea on how your tranny temp is when towing the van.
If you are concerned about your temps in the tranny, buy a temp gauge and make an informed decision, do not rely on someone else who may or may not know what they are doing, after all it's not their vehicle .

BTW I never tow in 5th gear.
Old 13-11-12

Hi guys I been thinking of getting a automatic transmission cooler just wondering were I can find one