• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Dec 2007
    • Aberfoyle Park SA

NM Paj: best path for a wire from battery to rear bar

Hi all.

Does anyone who owns or has owned an NM/NP Pajero have any advice on the best path to take to run a wire from the engine bay to the rear bumper, and from an internal switch to the rear bumper?

I have bought a small light to attach to the underside of the rear bumper of my NM Pajero, and I will set it up with a relay to come on when reverse is selected. This is to give me extra light when reversing.

I will have an overide switch in the dash, and plan to mount the relay near the light at the back (unless it's better to have it at the front?).

So, I need to run a wire from the battery to the relay, and from the reverse light up to the switch and back to the relay. Is there an easy way to take the wires from inside the car to the light on the underside of the bumper? (I'm not sure yet about the location of the relay.)

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Mike.
    NT MY10 VRX DiD Auto (charcoal grey) with MMA towbar & nudge bar plus sundry other MMA bits including neoprene seat covers, Lightforce 170 Striker spotties, Milford cargo barrier, Hankook Ventus tyres on 18" OEM alloy rims and 17" BFG A/T KO tyres on 17" OEM steel rims, Redarc TowPro brake controller, DigOptions replacement head unit with reversing camera, full set of Bushskinz bash plates, Bilstein/Dobinson suspension
  • liam
    • Feb 2008
    • chadstone

why not conect it to the reversing light wires at the back of the car as it will only come on when you select reverse

Comment

• MickyD
      • Dec 2007
      • Aberfoyle Park SA

Thanks for the suggestion, but due to the strength of the additional light I think I really should take power direct from the battery, rather than from the reversing light wiring. I don't think that wiring would be substantial enough to sustain the power draw that the extra light would need. I plan to attach a relay to the reversing light so that the extra light switches on with the reversing light, but the power coming in to the relay will need to come from the battery. (Of course, if there's an expert in auto electrics who can advise if that is not necessary, I'd be happy to hear it.)

Cheers,
      Mike.
      NT MY10 VRX DiD Auto (charcoal grey) with MMA towbar & nudge bar plus sundry other MMA bits including neoprene seat covers, Lightforce 170 Striker spotties, Milford cargo barrier, Hankook Ventus tyres on 18" OEM alloy rims and 17" BFG A/T KO tyres on 17" OEM steel rims, Redarc TowPro brake controller, DigOptions replacement head unit with reversing camera, full set of Bushskinz bash plates, Bilstein/Dobinson suspension

Comment

• liam
        • Feb 2008
        • chadstone

you could run it through the fire wall and along the under the scuff plate and tuck it in under the trim till you get to the rear
        then out from there
        put the relay some were in between the too so the is less resitance in the length of wire

hope this helps
        cheers liam

Comment

• mongoose
          • Aug 2007

do you have an accessory outlet in the back?
          if so why not get power from there and you can mount the relay in the same place behind the panel

cheers
          Adrian
          NW Pajero VR-X
          Currently stock

Comment

• MickyD
            • Dec 2007
            • Aberfoyle Park SA

Thank for the suggestions Liam and Adrian. I'll take another look at it soon, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers,
            Mike.

Comment

• psproule
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Thank for the suggestions Liam and Adrian. I'll take another look at it soon, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers,
              Mike.
              Well, we are going to have the soldering iron out already....
              2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X