Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019

Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019 The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 22-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
I have had Patrols and a Pajero, the patrol eats the Pajero in hard core 4x4ing, namely the clearance and wheel travel over rocks etc. and better on the corrugations. General 4x4ing(beach, bush tracks etc) and everyday driving the Pajero was hands down a much better vehicle.

I think you are overthinking this, if you want to go hardcore off-roading it is hard to go past the Patrol and Landcruiser for strength, capability and spare part availability. If not going hardcore 4x4ing any of the current 4x4s on the market will be capable of what you ask of it. Just choose one that you like the most, is most comfortable and fits your budget.
Appreciate it, the forum posts were also about flushing out common faults in candidates, which has revealed some alarming info and has certainly helped colour my expectations.

Certainly not taking up 4wd'ing as a hobby, bush tracks, camping/exploring, and property work only.

Patrols in this price range are horrible beasties, I would actually go a 100 series over a GU.
Old 25-05-19

I'm not sure if you've come across this video comparison. Seems pretty cut and dried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPxmaSfbIck
Old 25-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I'm not sure if you've come across this video comparison. Seems pretty cut and dried.
There was also a comparison done in 2016 between the PS and the NX Pajero by Which Car asking the question "Is the PS a real replacement for the Pajero?".

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...i-pajero-sport

Last edited by ron2503; 25-05-19 at 03:41 PM.
Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Did see, but have since moved away from those options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2503 View Post
There was also a comparison done in 2016 between the PS and the NX Pajero by Which Car asking the question "Is the PS a real replacement for the Pajero?".

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...i-pajero-sport
Yep saw that one too, was a very light comparison but alas, nothing beats driving back to back yourself I guess.
Old 30-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionDan View Post
Yep saw that one too, was a very light comparison but alas, nothing beats driving back to back yourself I guess.

Any updates on your purchase?
Old 30-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb29 View Post
Any updates on your purchase?
Hoping to get out to some dealerships this weekend, babysitter permitting as it's hard to test drive with 2 kids needing car seats 0_0 Hoping to test drive Paj, Fortuner, and another Prado for comparison.

Have just seen my new work contract and the car allowance is decent so now I need to work out if I buy the car outright myself or if I finance (chattel mortgage) something. Would still stick roughly to my budget either way,

Will discuss with accountant.

In short(ish) my current views are;

Paj: Best bang for buck, seems most reliable of all three on paper. A little noisy, dated, basic inside. Rear swinging door
Prado: 2.8 seems to have less issue with timing chains due to addition of balance shaft, DPF and air filter still needs to be addressed. Most expensive option if comparing k's, or end up with higher k's model. People argue they handle the best but I found them a bit floaty/wallowy. Bonus: Can be had in petrol so no diesel issues at all but heavier on fuel and "wants" 95, I say wants as people have run them happily on 91. Rear swinging door 3L TD versions put holes in pistons due to injector issues so would need to plan for the 3-4k in replacements. Apparently a scangauge shows injector values going out of spec before it happens...
Fortuner: Possibly the nicest to drive of the lot for me, big questions over the 2.8L engine reliability with known timing chain and DPF issues plus dust past filters. Split tailgate a big bonus.

I realise Prado can be had with split tailgate too, but rare and I'm not buying new.

I pretty much have analysis paralysis
Old 30-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
I pretty much have analysis paralysis
You need to change your forum user name
Old 30-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGA View Post
You need to change your forum user name
It's ironic isn't it...

The nickname came from my younger days, full impulse decision making, go with gut or whatever.

As I've gotten older (and been burned so many times) I've become NoActionDan lol
Old 30-05-19
Resident

Quote:
Prado: People argue they handle the best.
Really? Who? Where?

In my opinion (and limited experience, from 2012), Prado was undeniably smoother and quieter than Pajero, which I put down to the Lexus heritage. But I'm still amazed by how well my large, heavy, lifted NT handles the Adelaide hills. Sure its no sports car, but I'm generally being the one held up by others. A live axle Prado, with its famous "supple, long travel suspension" (i.e. soft) handle better?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 30-05-19
Valued Member

I drove my mates Prado once. Reminded me of taking the Manly ferry across to Sydney with a big swell coming through Sydney Heads as a teenager.