Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks NJ, I know the slippery slope - especially after hooking up a trailer for camping and watching more and more possibly useful stuff getting added. Going back the other way is a challenge that involves lots of top-end gear that serves multiple purposes - I've usually sacrificed the 'cheap' and sometimes also the 'durable' from my criteria of durable, light, and cheap. Eg. my hiking gear had a fair smattering of cuben/dyneema fabrics. One thing I love in my equipment are the Wilderness Equipment overhang UL tarps - multi pitch, built-in reflective guys, light, small, strong, and breathtakingly pricey, but I don't regret a cent. I've been meaing to start a thread - camping with a family of four and keeping it near GVM (i'm 70-130kg over with full fuel and water) - to list all I've done to achieve it.

Yours maths is unarguable, and my methods poor, loose, without a control, repetition, or standardised variables, with a dash of half remembered thrown in. Camping in mild conditions (sub 25C days in a shady spot), fridge full and fully cold, and being ruthless with lid openings, and nothing new going in, some days I'll only drop 15Ah on my battery guage. These are the best days. Under mild conditions, but replacing beers, I'll lose around 25Ah, but the 20min top-up makes me feel like I can stick a good 5-6 days before driving (100Ah bank, 125-150Ah out, 50-60Ah in?).
Realistically, I only rely on 2-3 days from 100Ah, the worst I've had so far has been about 32Ah loss in 24hrs, but I haven't camped in temps over 35C without driving daily. The charger seems to charge at up to 35A as well. I think some of my gauge's figures are calculated/modelled, rather than real, even though it is an expensive boating type, so who knows what is true. So I wholeheartedly agree - 2-3 days is the safety zone. However, under good conditions, some relatively brief top-ups might add a day or two before a big drive.

Idling a diesel can clog them up too - another reason to discount my suggestion.

Last edited by insect_eater; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:48 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
sounds like we've got similar approaches to travel - we're hikers, and have extended the experience to outback travel. Except I've a family of four and have manged to keep it at or near GVM with a week's payload including fual (146l) and water.
Definitely, our NX is going to be home and base camp.
I just had a look at those National Luna fridges and they look pretty impressive being created to keep medication cool in Africa. I list the Weaco/Dominator fridge but we are now leaning more towards SnoMaster CL56D and will compare it against the similar Luna. The pricetag is a lot higher but might be justified.

The Helinox Camp Chairs look impressive too. How do they perform in practical terms besides being super light and compact?

Cheers
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Pat Calinan did a review and comparison of lightweight camp chairs in issue 30 a few years ago, and the Helinox sunset was the editor's choice (there were some other nice ones too, but none as light). I imported my helinox camp chairs own from the States about 6 years ago as they were not locally available. After using mine, a few friends have bought the sunset chairs - which have head support.

Their main drawback is that they don't have arms, but you get used to that. As a sling chair, they force you to sit in a limited range of positions, which are laid back, rather than upright, so they would make a terrible office chair for working at a desk. Oh, one unforseen problem is that they blow away in a breeze! A real risk near a camp fire, where they could easily be toppled in. I turn them upside down when leaving camp, and then they stay put.

I often talk to people I see with them, I haven't found anyone who regretted buying them. Aldi do a version of the Chair One, which I got for the kids, but they are harder to assemble, and aren't as stable due to a few design differences.

I purchased my National Luna secondhand. If I was buying one new, I'd go for the ones with the 60mm thick insulation - they seem to use less power - the 52lt 42mm-walled uses 34Ah on a hot day, and the 55lt 60mm-walled version uses 31Ah in the same condits, according to their website.

Last edited by insect_eater; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:19 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf54 View Post
Definitely, our NX is going to be home and base camp.
I just had a look at those National Luna fridges and they look pretty impressive being created to keep medication cool in Africa. I list the Weaco/Dominator fridge but we are now leaning more towards SnoMaster CL56D and will compare it against the similar Luna. The pricetag is a lot higher but might be justified

Cheers
The SnoMasters look pretty interesting - quite similar to the NLs, and some have 70mm insulation. Both look like great options.