Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Rear shock absorbers - expected life span.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jayctee
    • Mar 2015
    • Brisbane

Rear shock absorbers - expected life span.

The PC is just out of the 5 year warranty with just under 30,000Ks - 90% of that on bitumen roads.
    No towing, overloading or corrugations.
    Majority of 4WD'ing on the beach.
    The leaking is only visible when on the hoist with the wheels unsupported.
    Is that an expected normal life span of the factory shocks ?
    How much longer would they be expected last ?
    Should they be replaced with a different upmarket brand ?
    Any brand suggestions ?
    SOLD: MY14 PC LS Auto Challenger, Airtec snorkel, GME TX3100 UHF, RV360 TPMS, Hema HN7, Provent 200 CC, Torque-Pro, Thunder Weekender battery box, Redarc BCDC 1225D charger.
    SOLD 1997 NK GLX 3.5 Auto
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jayctee View Post
    The PC is just out of the 5 year warranty with just under 30,000Ks - 90% of that on bitumen roads.
    No towing, overloading or corrugations.
    Majority of 4WD'ing on the beach.
    The leaking is only visible when on the hoist with the wheels unsupported.
    Is that an expected normal life span of the factory shocks ?
    How much longer would they be expected last ?
    Should they be replaced with a different upmarket brand ?
    Any brand suggestions ?
    Life of a shock absorber is always hard to judge.

The ARB shocks I had on the front of my Pajero were warranted for 60k km or 3 years. When I had trouble with bushes, ARB told me I was under warranty - it didn't occur to me to check.

30,000km sounds low, but I'm sure Mitsubishi have weasel-words in their warranty to give them an out.

The leak sounds very minor, and doesn't mean performance is suffering, which is another line Mitsubishi can use to argue against replacing them.

Perhaps find a Pedders "Test Lane" store, pay for a test (which history suggests would find that your vehicle is a death trap that shouldn't leave the premises), and take away their written report.

Don't tell them you have any concerns about your shocks - let them find a problem.

If they find a problem, take the written report back to Mitsubishi. If they don't find a problem, rest easy.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Sorry can't answer your shock absorber question but 30,000 over 5 years equals 115k a week

Incredible.

Comment

• Jayctee
        • Mar 2015
        • Brisbane

Thanks nj swb and BruceandBobbi.
        I have just realised that I drove the PC out of the Mitsubishi yard on 29 August, 2014 - after it had been used as a demo - low klm, at a good price.
        BUT -- Mitsubishi start the 5 year warranty on the day it was first registered at the yard - 5 March, 2014.
        So, I have only had about 4 years and 6 months warranty since the first day. That's how the system works !!
        SOLD: MY14 PC LS Auto Challenger, Airtec snorkel, GME TX3100 UHF, RV360 TPMS, Hema HN7, Provent 200 CC, Torque-Pro, Thunder Weekender battery box, Redarc BCDC 1225D charger.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

I have seen the undersized factory shockers fail in 30,000kms and others that have reported in excess of 100,000kms so it appears to be the luck of the draw. But I have also had aftermarket shockers fail at similar rates. Coil springs but significantly more demand on shockers compared to leaf springs.
          Bang for you buck, it is hard to go past Oztec shockers for mid price, good quality and long warranty. They seem to be suitable for light to medium duty touring and off-roading.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            I have seen the undersized factory shockers fail in 30,000kms and others that have reported in excess of 100,000kms so it appears to be the luck of the draw. But I have also had aftermarket shockers fail at similar rates. Coil springs but significantly more demand on shockers compared to leaf springs.
            Bang for you buck, it is hard to go past Oztec shockers for mid price, good quality and long warranty. They seem to be suitable for light to medium duty touring and off-roading.

OJ.
            X2 on above

Found our shocks weeping @ 50k km .. sent report in for warranty.. reply not warranted.. only leaking mildly . Replaced them immediately with oztec front and rear .. never had a problem since ... the ride is next to perfect dips into corners no more understeer nor side stepping out in the rear .. one happy camper ..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jayctee
              • Mar 2015
              • Brisbane

Thanks again old Jack and littleriver.
              I did a quick search on Oztec - found this post from "Where the rubber hits the road - Oztec suspension... tell me more"

I am again impressed by the info available on this forum.

Comment

• pb4x2
                • May 2015
                • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Originally posted by Jayctee View Post
                Thanks again old Jack and littleriver.
                I did a quick search on Oztec - found this post from "Where the rubber hits the road - Oztec suspension... tell me more"

I am again impressed by the info available on this forum.
                Another option is Ultima 4x4 shocks part number 400040B which I fitted to my PB 50,000 klms. ago and have no complaints about. They are readily available locally and on ebay not expensive and have a three year warranty.
                2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X