• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sub888
    • Oct 2012
    • Barossa Valley

android chartplotter

Just wondering if anyone has tried the android chartplotters.
    My lowrance chartplotter has died and as my boat does not get used much for fishing these days, mostly waterskiing I am thinking about just using a chartplotter app on my nexus 7. Rather than spending the coin on a dedicated unit.

So has anyone used one?
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

i used navionics about 5 years ago but nothing since then. Did what i needed it to do at the time.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• markc
      • Oct 2007
      • Brisbane Sth East

I use Navionics on a 10" ASUS android tablet and it works a treat.
      Not quite as user friendly as a 10" garmin screen but for the $1500 difference I'm more than happy with the tablet.

I use a RAM tablet mount which is functional and high quality, they have a heap of options so see what suits you

RAM® Mounts is the industry leader in rugged motorcycle and car phone mounts, rugged tablet mounts for trucks, forklift mounts, and more. Find the perfect device mount for your car, truck, motorcycle, plane, forklift, snowmobile & many more.

Mines like this
      RAM® Mounts is the industry leader in rugged motorcycle and car phone mounts, rugged tablet mounts for trucks, forklift mounts, and more. Find the perfect device mount for your car, truck, motorcycle, plane, forklift, snowmobile & many more.

I've got a whittley 660 cruiser that have a hard top and are well sheltered so don't have any issues with moisture, you may want to get one of those water proof covers if your in a different set up where it may get wet

Cheers Mark

Comment

• sub888
        • Oct 2012
        • Barossa Valley

Thanks for the reply guys. Navionics is what I am keen to use.
        My current plotter has only lasted about 5 years, If I have to replace my tablet every 12 months from moisture I will still be in front after 5 years.
        Mark, are you using the standard version or the HD version? Ones $20 and the other $ 50 and does not seem to be any difference.

Comment

• markc
          • Oct 2007
          • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by sub888 View Post
          Thanks for the reply guys.
          and the other $ 50 and does not seem to be any difference.
          Hi, I'm using the HD version 4.1.1, from memory it was less than $30 at the time and I've been using it for 2 years now adding updates as they are available and have been pretty happy.

The Whittley also has a navman track fish 6500 but I tend to use for the sounder and engine functions and use the table as my gps.

My only comment is that the tablet can be too bright at night at it's lowest setting. Syncing to my pc at home for waypoints and tracks etc is great too.

I'll try and grab some pic tomorrow r Sunday so you can see the set up

cheers Mark

Comment

• sub888
            • Oct 2012
            • Barossa Valley

Have downloaded the HD version and it does look good.my only complaint at this stage is it does not seem to have a ' go to wayooint'? Or I just have not found it yet.
            Can you navigate to a saved waypoint?

Comment

• markc
              • Oct 2007
              • Brisbane Sth East

One more point, I found my tablet too bright at night, there is an app that lets you dim further than std,
              its called "night mode" and works well
              cheers Mark
              Last edited by markc; 23-10-14, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X