• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinsch
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Perth

Back Door exit from inside

Why did the Pajero not have a door latch on the inside of the back door, try sleeping in the back then get out of one of the rear passenger doors, not an easy task at 2AM after a few to many beers, to be able to open the back door would be so much easier.
    Has anybody seen a modification to fit an aftermarket door handle on the inside of the rear door, pics and info if you have any would be good
    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.
  • TurboChook4x4
    • Feb 2013
    • Rocky Cape Tas

Hi Hinsch, that's quite an oversight on MM's part and supprising too, cause my NH has one. A far as a custom inner latch goes, I'm sure it's doable just give it a shot. You might want to check out an NH to see how it's done and you could possibly use part of the NH mechanism too.
    Cheers.
    Family car 2008 NS VRX Pajero, Metallic blue, Redarc dual battery, Redarc trailer brakes, ARB led spotlights, mounted on a budgie bar(hopefully upgrade to a color coded bullbar soon), not much else but got plans!
    2007 Nissan D40 Navara, tray back toolboxes, undertray toolboxes, crane, fire extinguisher, all the tools to fix just about anything in the field, not enough room to list all it's mods.

Comment

• tomwithannl
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Beware

Beware. Before we moved over here to Tasmania the wife and I flew over in the middle of winter to see if we could put up with the cold weather. We hired a hi roof camper van which was a brand new Toyota HiAce LWB.
      One night up in the highlands (picture -3 with light rain) we both needed to go to the toilet so we got out through the rear door (using the ring pull handle on the tailgate which must have been fitted by the camper conversion people because there is no factory inside handle.)
      On return (only wearing our PJs) we found all the doors locked!
      When we pulled up and before climbing into the back I used the central locking button on the key fob to lock all the doors for security while we slept.
      The opener they fitted must have gone straight to the catch and didn’t disengage the central locking when operated.
      To cut a long story short after a half hour search (and the onset of hypothermia) I found some chicken wire which I unravelled then twisted two strands together and managed to thread them through the tail gate seal and hook the ring pull and open the door.
      We laugh now but I was very close to having to smash a window to get in.
      The point is if you rig an opener make sure it unlocks the door not just open it.

Tom
      1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
      1953 Morris Minor ute
      1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
      2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Blinky Bill
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Bellingen NSW North Coast

It's funny how we laugh at near disasters

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
        Beware. Before we moved over here to Tasmania the wife and I flew over in the middle of winter to see if we could put up with the cold weather. We hired a hi roof camper van which was a brand new Toyota HiAce LWB.
        One night up in the highlands (picture -3 with light rain) we both needed to go to the toilet so we got out through the rear door (using the ring pull handle on the tailgate which must have been fitted by the camper conversion people because there is no factory inside handle.)
        On return (only wearing our PJs) we found all the doors locked!
        When we pulled up and before climbing into the back I used the central locking button on the key fob to lock all the doors for security while we slept.
        The opener they fitted must have gone straight to the catch and didn’t disengage the central locking when operated.
        To cut a long story short after a half hour search (and the onset of hypothermia) I found some chicken wire which I unravelled then twisted two strands together and managed to thread them through the tail gate seal and hook the ring pull and open the door.
        We laugh now but I was very close to having to smash a window to get in.
        The point is if you rig an opener make sure it unlocks the door not just open it.

Tom
        Great Tassie adventure story mate. Actually I can just see me getting locked out 'answering nature' and then not having the know how to get back in. Just bad luck I suppose that you both went at the same time. Damn!

On the absence of door handles on Paj rear doors - We recently tried to get into the rear of a flooded Pajero (write off) and I was surprised that there was no provision to unlock with a key. WTF!!!

The key opened the front door gives us access to the front & rear seats but a well fitted cargo barrier prevented us from getting to kit in the rear. It was so frustrating and had absolutely no idea coming into my noggin about how to pop that rear door.

I'm wondering if this issue of no rear inside handle or key for rear door is right across various car manufacturers.

Cheers - Wayne D
        2013 NW Platinum Auto DiD - Tow bar, rubber mats, MM GPS, MM neoprene front & rear, ARB compressor, Safari snorkel and Bridgestone D697's.

Daily transport & tug for 2000 Kimberley Kamper.

My 'one day' list:
        * ARB air lockers
        * Bilsteins, Lovells & 50mm lift
        * nudge bar

Comment

• Burko
          • Sep 2013
          • Brisbane

Wouldn't this be a safety issue? Do MM sell Cargo Barriers as optional extras? What happens if you climb in the boot with a cargo barrier and door closes on you? I have had door close on me on a windy day.
          2001 NM 3.5 Exceed. Whisbar HD roof racks, UHF, HID spots, Elec brake control, air con control moved, K&N air filter. (SOLD )

2017 MQ GLS Triton Auto. Whispbar HD racks. EKO Canopy.

Comment

• Herman4x4
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Melton, Victoria

The MM barriers have a trap door in them so you can climb through in to the cabin. On saying this, it would be hard for anyone to really climb through.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
            Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2013
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Burko View Post
              Wouldn't this be a safety issue? Do MM sell Cargo Barriers as optional extras? What happens if you climb in the boot with a cargo barrier and door closes on you? I have had door close on me on a windy day.
              You dont need tools to remove the MM/Milford barriers, so you could just unbolt it and move it to one side and climb past... it wouldnt be easy to manouver it around you to get out, but is doable....
              | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
              | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
              | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
              | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

Save money. Quit the beers.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• pauld
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Melbourne

Take an empty bottle to bed, no solution for the Mrs though...

My cargo barrier came with a plastic hammer with a hardened metal tip for smashing the window in emergency.

My NP has a key in the rear door, newer models don't I gather? So flat battery you can't get into the back to get the jumper leads? Nasty.
                  2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                    Take an empty bottle to bed, no solution for the Mrs though...
                    she'll just need to take a funnel then I guess....
                    | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                    | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                    | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                    | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• Lance
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Melbourne

The she wee can be purchased at all outdoors stores check out http://www.peaksurvival.us

.......nuff sed...........
                      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• captain_paj
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2012
                        • Logan QLD

Every time I skim through the forum to see if there are new posts in the topic areas - my head gets done in and skids to a halt every time I see the thread title...

I'm dirty and I need to be punished
                        1994 NJ GLS Auto, 3.0 LPG, 31s, HD springs, 50mm body lift, Firestone rear air bags

1993 NH GLS Manual, 3.0 LPG, 31s, Iron Man Torsion and Coils, Lovells Shocks, 30mm body lift, Manual Hubs, Extractors and god awful droning 2.5" exhaust

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

NT Trip wire to open rear door.

Having recently fitted a cargo barrier to my NT with a keyless rear door I have also pondered the issue of opening the rear door.

After stripping the plastic trim on the rear door, accessing the plastic seal on the bodywork, removed the spare wheel cover bolts and bracket this allowed access to the rear door lock.

To activate the door lock the light switch on the left hand side of the door needs to be held in. A file and a socket worked well!!!

Activating the lock with the remote control and feeling the action with my fingers revealed that the actuator pushes a rod which locked and unlocked the door. THe rod has a small hole at the top. This would be for the external door lock. UP is locked and down is unlocked.

A thin piece of black wire, around a metre, was tied through the small hole three times and threaded through the drain hole at the bottom of the door. This was then run up the inside of the rear door, a loop tied in the end and taped a few times finishing at tail light height and out of sight.

To activate a small piece of wire is threaded through loop, the wire pulled down and lightly tugged to unlock the rear door.

Works for me.

Ensure you dont use too much tape and test a few times before replacing trim.

Retrofitting an external door lock should not be that difficult.
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X