• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
    I find it amazing the difference in fuel economy others are getting, some being quite high, others very low without any additions. Whether oil addition improves economy or not? I do not know, but does anyone have any thoughts on what the longer term implications are for the combustion chambers etc in regards to carbon buildup and implications for turbo bearings and seals? BTW, heres a pic of mine last night, no fuel additives, not quite at the 1/2 way mark yet, will be around the 500 mark when it does.

Shane.
    G'day Shane, suggest you read the link! Diesel being an oil based fuel in itself adding 2 stroke at the ratio of 1:200 will not harm or build up in fact it gives you a better burn .. As to your pic If you read what I posted it's above what I normally see at that point on my gauge yours may well read different. I'm still to fill & run another tank at least before I can quote economy figures which will be compared to figures I have prior to adding the 2 stroke.

Gus.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• 4eP
      • Apr 2008

I do not know, but does anyone have any thoughts on what the longer term implications are for the combustion chambers etc in regards to carbon buildup and implications for turbo bearings and seals?
      As previously posted, AFAIK, 2-stroke oil is a cheap and convenient source of low-ash graphite oil, which will remove carbon build-up (and prevent further build-up).

I doubt whether there is any increase or decrease in the lubricity of the diesel with graphite oil added.
      Don't ascribe to malice anything that can be adequately explained as stupidity!
      Pajero LWB Gen1 3.2 Di-D TD Engine
      33" Bridgestone D694s
      2" Lift
      Front Runner Rack

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Originally posted by Gus View Post
        G'day Shane, suggest you read the link! Diesel being an oil based fuel in itself adding 2 stroke at the ratio of 1:200 will not harm or build up in fact it gives you a better burn .. As to your pic If you read what I posted it's above what I normally see at that point on my gauge yours may well read different. I'm still to fill & run another tank at least before I can quote economy figures which will be compared to figures I have prior to adding the 2 stroke.

Gus.
        Think you have taken me the wrong way Gus, wasn't having a go at your post at all. Just stating that I find it curious about all the consumption figures given on this site, anywhere from aprox 8l/100 city to 14l/100 city (admittedly, spread across different models for the 3.2 did - without additives). I have read this complete thread numerous times, and others. Before I make up my mind to do so, I want more info on what the burn composition will do to my combustion chambers and exhaust. It may have negligible effect due to the small mix ratio, but I do not know. If anyone can enlighten me, I would be most obliged.

Shane.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Think you have taken me the wrong way Gus, wasn't having a go at your post at all. Just stating that I find it curious about all the consumption figures given on this site, anywhere from aprox 8l/100 city to 14l/100 city (admittedly, spread across different models for the 3.2 did - without additives). I have read this complete thread numerous times, and others. Before I make up my mind to do so, I want more info on what the burn composition will do to my combustion chambers and exhaust. It may have negligible effect due to the small mix ratio, but I do not know. If anyone can enlighten me, I would be most obliged.

Shane.
          No mate all cool didn't take it the wrong way lol sorry if it came back that way & I can understand that your curious. The figures will differ due to a number of reasons.. say for example it's only used for short trips it will take longer to clean. Or like in my case I've just run a cleaning product through mine and know the fuel system is clean. Also it would depend on a lot of factors again using mine as an example.. I don't remove recovery gear or fridge, all the weight of my accessories, tyre size. So really what I'm basing it on is the improvement I gain. With regard to combustion Chambers & exhaust again I can only point you to the link & the fact that with so many forums have this mentioned with not 1 mention of any harm done is enough for me to give it a go.. Not to mention the fact I've also spoken to 3 diesel mechanics all of which stated it can't do any harm.

(I use Castrol Activ T2 mineral based as it mixes well, after 3 weeks in glass just sitting still mixed)

Gus
          Last edited by Gus; 12-11-09, 07:58 PM.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• marcthelegend
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Gosnells, WA

Has anyone noticed these 'fuel injector cleaner' products, look and smell exactly like 2-stroke oil??? For a while ive been thinking all it is is overpriced 2-stroke.

Marc
            05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
            brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Rocketsurgery
              • Dec 2008

I want more info on what the burn composition will do to my combustion chambers and exhaust.
              I'm watching this topic on a couple of fora too. I don't think you are going to get any appreciable buildup as the 2 stroke oil is designed to bun and leave bugger all deposits.

I'm going to give it a go - question is which oil for a DPF 3.2?

Comment

• Gus
                Administrator
                • Mar 2008
                • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Rocketsurgery View Post
                I'm watching this topic on a couple of fora too. I don't think you are going to get any appreciable buildup as the 2 stroke oil is designed to bun and leave bugger all deposits.

I'm going to give it a go - question is which oil for a DPF 3.2?
                Glad mines pre DPF!

From what I've read on the Freelander, (UK link), definitely not a synthetic or semi synthetic.. I'd be going with the Castrol activ T2.. do your own trial add 5o% mix in jar and let it sit you'll see even after a week it's still mixed well.

I have read that DPF burn went out from 600 to 1000+ I think it was on the same site I'm not 100% though as mine does't have I brushed over.

Good luck with it.
                Last edited by Gus; 12-11-09, 07:59 PM.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• ziggy
                  • Feb 2008

Well results after a month or 2

3 tank fulls

results

10.4 l/100km
                  10.8 l/100km
                  10.4 l/100km

This is better than normal , usually around the 10.8 - 11 l /100, and the 10.8 tank was using Matilda fuel, which I distrust. Also I changed the type of 2 stroke on the 10.8 tank to Gulf Oil marine, which was on special at SCA. (I also take into account the extra 400ml that is the 2stroke in these figures)

So not a lot of difference, but enough in the smoothness stakes to continue but 10.4 is the best I have ever had from this old truck

Works for me

Comment

• ziggy
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by 4eP View Post
                    As previously posted, AFAIK, 2-stroke oil is a cheap and convenient source of low-ash graphite oil, which will remove carbon build-up (and prevent further build-up).

I doubt whether there is any increase or decrease in the lubricity of the diesel with graphite oil added.
                    The European study quoted earlier states a wear reduction in ball bearing tests compared to low sulphur diesel. Whether ball bearing tests equate to anything outside the lab is another story.

I would be interested to read your previous or other sources re graphite oil

Thanks

Comment

• Wal
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                      Glad mines pre DPF!

From what I've read on the Freelander, (UK link), definitely not a synthetic or semi synthetic.. I'd be going with the Castrol active T2.
                      Do you mean Castrol Activ 2T?

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Wal View Post
                        Do you mean Castrol Activ 2T?
                        Yea mate.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• sharky
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2008
                          • Kilmore

I've been using Penrite general purpose greenkeeper oil (2 Stroke)
                          ----------------------------
                          'Steve'
                          2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• farmer joe
                            • Oct 2007
                            • SA

Hi guys,

I seem to remember that when we had a farm up in NSW there was a local transport operator and big farmer who used to have a dispensing unit of some sort which enabled him to meter his used sump and trans oils into his diesel.

He reckoned that it worked quite well only he did have one header which was smoking a little, and he thought that it may have been as a result of an excessive amount of oil having been mixed with the fuel.

I do also recall having heard that some truckies used to use an amount (cupfull?)of oil in their fuel tank for pump lubrication and a cup of petrol to help with slightly more power.

I have never tried any of this myself so don't know much more about it than to suggest that it probably doesn't cause any harm as long as it isn't overdone.

Regards,

Andrew

PS None of the vehicles concerned would have used DPF

Comment

• Dazza.
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • Northern Territory

Originally posted by farmer joe View Post
                              and a cup of petrol to help with slightly more power.
                              I'd be steering clear of trying that one....

I personally wouldn't be trying the oil either, these engines are modern for a start, but if adding a little oil to diesel fuel was very beneficial, don't you think that it'd be done from the depots/distilleries? Perhaps it is? in which case people are chucking more oil again into it making it a very oily fuel?

Maybe it's the conservatism scepticism coming out in me....
                              COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• farmer joe
                                • Oct 2007
                                • SA

Fair enuff..wasn't suggesting it either.

Was just making the point that the use of oil and/or petrol is something that has been tried over the years.

To keep it in context the amount of a cupfull ie about 250mls was in a fuel tank of say 300 - 400 L on a truck/harvester.

Also this was in relation to trucks and headers neither of which were using common rail fuel systems...specifically it related to several Case 2388 harvesters with CDC motor and trucks which the farmer had which used B series Cat motors.

And just to throw something further in....on the Australia 4wd site there was some discussion re the use of acetone as an additive as well.

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X