• Show
Clear All
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

Looking at an NT tomorrow for a possible update

G'day all,

Well, we weren't quite ready to look at updating just yet, but the local Toyota dealership has just got a 2009 NT GLS 3.2 auto in with 172,000 km on the clock, so we are going in tomorrow to check it out. It has a tow bar, MM alloy bullbar, roof rails with 2x cross bars and an electric brake controller. Oh, and its silver.

I have read a bit about the oil coolers cracking, so I am aware of that, and I know about the timing chain tensioner recall, but is there anything else to look for with an NT? (service history etc are a given) Most of my reading seems to reveal that they're a pretty solid vehicle, and that there is very little that goes wrong with them. Even then, failures seem to be pretty rare.

I am looking at adding my awning to the current roof rails and cross bars, but I think that I read the factory roof rails aren't real strong. Will they doo for the next 12 months or so until I can upgrade them?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I'm obviously searching the wrong terms.

Anyway, here's hoping its as good as it looks in the pictures. Wish us luck.....
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

A couple of photos
    Attached Files
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Oil cooler issue seems to be relatively rare (thankfully), and the timing chain recall is not a deal breaker as it will still get done for free by your local MM dealer.

One thing I'd be looking at (besides the obvious like service history, as you have suggested), is rust under the door seals (http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...highlight=rust).
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

Ahh, the rear door rust. Yes, I had forgotten about that. Thanks geopaj.

Yeah, the timing chain recall isn't a deal breaker by any means and I think you're right, the oil coolers cracking doesn't seem to be a common problem.
        Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Check all 5 doors for the rust, as some have found it on the fronts & tailgate area also.

Check bell housing for oil - there have been a few rear main seals.

Towbar tongue is upside down for some reason? - probably used a different hitch? BTW - there is no spare wheel lift fitted.

Not sure, but I think the DPF was still around in 2009 (the handbook would probably say) - something to be aware of.

If is has done extensive towing, it should have had extra servicing which should be shown in the book. 180,000km is the biggest service shown in my NW book, so NT is probably the same - allow for big $$$ - make sure the price reflects this or use it to negotiate. Get the VIN number & ask your local MMAL dealer to look up it's history - ask about tensioner recall as a "lead in".

If not already done, have a look on Redbook to get a handle on price.

Good luck!
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

Things that I noted to check while I was on the lookout for a Gen 4 (aside from the stuff already mentioned and normal drive, stop and steer stuff).
            If the car you're looking at doesn't have the option, ignore the point
            • Check to make sure all the radio buttons/controls work as expected, including playing a CD (take a couple with you incase it has a stacker)
            • Check all the steering wheel buttons
            • Check to ensure the 4wd system works, it should shift into all ranges while stationary or with only a little movement fwd/bwds. Check all the lights work also
            • Check diff lock works, you'll need to find a dirt patch to drive in a tight circle on, the back inside tyre should scrabble a bit. Check that ASC, TC etc switches off when RDL is selected (if the dash doesn't light up like a xmas tree maybe the TC mod has been done by the PO so not a biggy if it doesn't)
            • Check that the rear AC works, including air coming out of the rear vents
            • Pull the covers off where the rearmost seat hooks into the car and check for dirt/dust markings, also check in the jack stowage compartment
            • Check the rear view camera works
            • Check the colour of the coolant in the overflow bottle and rad (check when cold), I found a couple with no coolant at all, just plain water
            • Check for a clunk from the rear when driving in 2wd (roll on and off the throttle), could indicate loose axle retaining nut at the hub.
            • Check the fuel filter housing for corrosion, indicates potential lack of servicing or been near the beach etc
            • Check the battery tray for cracking near the hold-down clamp holes
            • Check the rear door works properly and the handle isn't stiff to open, stiff handle could indicate that the PO or car yard has adjusted the rear door too much to stop rattles. Could also lead to broken/damaged door handle mech if adjusted too tight. I found a couple with broken door mechs.
            • Check the tow hitch fits in the receiver. I found a couple that didn't

There is probably more that I can't think of just now.
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Bundyk
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2012
              • North Nowra

Thanks for the replies guys, they were very helpful.

I went and had a look at it today. Had a good look over it and took it for a drive. The exterior is in good nick over all, but the bullbar has a slight inward curve to in the centre where the number plate is, and the spare wheel cover has copped a bit of a hiding from a trailer. It had a fairly new set of Cooper AT3's fitted to it as well. I did manage to forget to look at the back doors for rust though... I had a crawl under it and there doesn't appear to be any evidence of hard core off roading or beach driving.

Inside there were a whole heap of marks on the roof lining, and the boot seemed to have a lot of sand in it, but as the car has come from a coastal area I am assuming that its from throwing sandy stuff in the back after being at the beach. The previous owners must have also had younger kids as a DVD player has been fitted in the back

Its a 1 owner car and it has a good service history, with services being done every 15,000 to 105,000 km, then every 10,000 after that. The auto shifts very smoothly and the 4WD system appears to work well. What I couldn't get over was how well it goes. I hadn't ever driven one before and was pleasantly surprised. I can see, however, why people say they are noisy as there is definitely a lot of engine noise transmitted into the cab, but that's not a deal breaker. There was a couple of things that I wasn't sure about, but I will start a new thread for those questions.

All in all, not a bad vehicle at all. It definitely looks like it has been used as a family truckster, and some of the marks around it, like the ones all over the roof lining, suggest it wasn't greatly cared for. While not a deal breaker, its the little things like this that make me a little wary, and I'm going to go back on Monday during my lunch break for a second look.
              Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

• Widgeeman
                • Jul 2012
                • Widgee Qld

Hey Dhula - great post

Owned my NT for a few years now, but what you posted was great.

Your reply obviously took a bit of time and thought, so well done.
                Graham
                - - - - - -
                2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X