Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 20-09-13

Post Wheel Alignment issues

I put a new set of maxxis 771s (all the budget would stretch to) on the paj yesterday and had the obligatory wheel alignment done. When I picked up the car the wheel alignment report included the following note:
- pitman arm worn
- steering box needs adjusting
- front torsion bars need adjusting - too low on front

I am not sure how serious this is as I have not had any steering/braking issues with the car at all. Could someone please advise how i should deal with this.

thanks
Old 20-09-13

Sounds like you went to Pedders ? I would go back and ask the chap who did the job and show you the problems and not just take his word for it .

Its a shame we cant trust anyone anymore
Old 20-09-13
Valued Member

Torsion bars are easily adjusted yourself and the pitman arm (arm that is connected to steering box and controls the steering link arm) can be done yourself. The steering box should be adjusted by a professional if you're not sure on how to do it.

When adjusting the torsionbars be sure to have no part of your body directly underneath the anchor arm and adjusting bolt, also make sure you have a jack stand or similiar somewhere under the front incase the worst happens (safety first!).

Adjusting the torsion bar and replacing the pitman arm requires another wheel alignment afterwards. Have them adjust the steering box at this alignment.
Old 20-09-13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
Torsion bars are easily adjusted yourself and the pitman arm (arm that is connected to steering box and controls the steering link arm) can be done yourself. The steering box should be adjusted by a professional if you're not sure on how to do it.

When adjusting the torsionbars be sure to have no part of your body directly underneath the anchor arm and adjusting bolt, also make sure you have a jack stand or similiar somewhere under the front incase the worst happens (safety first!).

Adjusting the torsion bar and replacing the pitman arm requires another wheel alignment afterwards. Have them adjust the steering box at this alignment.
Safety first! A diesel mechanic died last night at our company around 21.00 in Dandenong, the bus fallen on him. Rest in peace mate!
Old 20-09-13

Thanks guys...appreciate the feedback and advice. I will look at working on the pitman arm and the torsion bar myself. I have jack stands and would never compromise my safety. If it does not feel safe...I will get a professional.
Old 20-09-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ádámka View Post
Safety first! A diesel mechanic died last night at our company around 21.00 in Dandenong, the bus fallen on him. Rest in peace mate!
R.I.P
So many fallen to the same tragedy.
I know a guy (won't reveal his name) who was adjusting a torsionbar the other week and the bolt snapped after half a turn, he had a wheel chocked under the front which stopped him getting trapped but unfortunately the weight cam down on his arm and smashed his elbow and forearm up pretty bad requiring permanent screws in his elbow and a few weeks of plaster on his arm. A jackstand under the front crossmember might of saved him a visit to the emergency room, but in saying that there's been multiple ocvassions where I've just hopped under and tightened a few bolts here or there without a thought to any danger.

Kpaj, we're more then happy to help on any anything you're not sure of mate. Both torsionbar and pitman arm are easily done with basic tools
Steering box is another thing and tbh is easily done if you know how to do it and what to look for but for the most part is better to have adjusted by someone who has done it as you don't want to overtighten the worm drive gear and it may not even be that.
Old 20-09-13
Valued Member

after the pittman is replaced your steering may be nice and tight again . a worn pitman at the ball link end will make the steering box feel sloppy with free play.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 20-09-13

Thanks Pauly - I will attempt the pitman arm replacement first as both you and Dolphin have suggested and see how this affects the steering. I did not intend to adjust the steering box - from my research it does appear a simple process but I would rather have someone with the requisite experience turn the screw.
I expect that i should use a genuine replacement pitman arm but can you advise if there are any acceptable alternatives- I do not wish to sacrifice quality for price but a good cheaper option would be nice.
Thanks
Old 20-09-13
Valued Member

There's a few decent brands out there that are equal if not better then a genuine part.
Protex seem to make some good steering parts. There's a catalogue to get the partnumbers off on eziautoparts.com.au.

Personally I wouldn't use cheap chinese ebay parts on the steering, but that's just me.
Old 20-09-13
Valued Member

get a price for this pittman arm from genuine MM [ sit down ] then get a price from Repco or a simular spare parts stockist. i myself would go aftermarket for this item.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.