• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DibbyDibbyDJ
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2019
    • Victoria

I think everyone on here KNOWS of the legalities of defeating the EGR or DPF systems.

I am interested in the research regarding Turbocharger failure. Links please?
    2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Yes I too would like to read about turbo failures and the link with EGR deletes.

In regards to the emissions, I have no doubt that when an engine is new the emissions are lower with an operation EGR as the government require manufacturers to submit emission test results, if we are to believe the posted emissions. We all know the history behind the VW false results!

However over time as the engine slowly gunks up, then there will be a point at which the emissions are greater than a vehicle with an EGR delete, how long this takes will depend on the fuel used and the driving duties the vehicle has done.

I know when I was experimenting with EGR deletes the engine only had 60,000 kms and had used premium diesel most of the time, there was a noticeable improvement in fuel economy and reduction in black smoke especially under acceleration, so based on these factors the emissions per km travelled would be less than those if the EGR was operational.

The EGR system is not operating all the time, in certain conditions it will remain fully closed and in other conditions fully open and sometimes its operation is variable.

Manufacturers should not be trusted to do emission tests, these should be carried out by Government certifier. The manufacturer should also guarantee that the emission levels can be sustained with say 90% of when new for the vehicles warranty period. Imagine at the end of your warranty period you had to have your vehicle emission tested and it was law that the the vehicle past the test and if not the manufacturer would need to repair the vehicle so it was compliant.

I also think all new vehicles with over a 750kg tow capacity should be required to undergo dynamic stability and suspension load tests when at GVM, GCM, and Rear Axle Load Limits.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Batfink
        • Mar 2018
        • Newcastle

My understanding of a EGR delete plug and play is that it tricks the MAF/ECU into thinking the air is colder than reality, which keeps the EGR closed, but does this also make the engine run differently, mixture etc, because it thinks the air is colder, which could cause other issuses down the track.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Batfink View Post
          My understanding of a EGR delete plug and play is that it tricks the MAF/ECU into thinking the air is colder than reality, which keeps the EGR closed, but does this also make the engine run differently, mixture etc, because it thinks the air is colder, which could cause other issuses down the track.
          This has been discussed here before.

Obviously different manufacturers control their engines in different ways, but the general consensus from those who have analysed the Pajero and Challenger motors is that the temperature sensor controlling the EGR isn't controlling anything else. There is a separate temperature sensor used to control fuel injection.

Yes, EGR is an emissions reduction device, used to reduce NOx emissions. As OJ has pointed out, it also reduces fuel efficiency, increasing emissions of CO2 and particulates, which is why manufacturers have needed to introduce DPFs and their troublesome fuel-rich "regeneration" burns - undoubtedly another source of pollution.

But at least NOx emissions are down.

I too would like to see the evidence connecting EGR deletes to turbo failure. I wonder if it will be the traditional argument of "EGR reduces combustion temperature, so defeating the EGR increases exhaust temperature".

Edit: anybody with an EGR delete and EGT who can post exhaust temperatures with & without?
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Manufacturers should not be trusted to do emission tests, these should be carried out by Government certifier. OJ.

The cerifier would need to be able to pick one vehicle from 200 to test not handed a test vehicle.

Even that way you couldn't trust the vehicle manufactures to do the right thing after certification.

Comment

• BillS
              • Jan 2020
              • Holbrook NSW

First thing I noticed with the cable plugged in was better fuel consumption.

Supplier is going to test cable, so will be interesting to see if they find a problem.

Bill
              2019 PS Black edition. ECB Bull bar, Boo's sump guards and King springs F&R.

Comment

• Overland
                • Jun 2010
                • Sunbury Victoria

Back to the original problem. My MN Triton would randomly lose power. The revs would drop and no pedal response. It turned out to be a fault with the brake switch or rear lights. When it sees the brake applied it kills the accelerator. It took Mitsubishi a long time to find and gave no error codes. I had to video it to prove it was happening.
                Cheers, David.

2010 Pajero Activ Auto DiD.Ironbark, ECB Polished Big Tube Bar, IPF HID Driving Lights, HID High Beam Conversion, Dual Batteries, Midnight Express Tinting, Thule Roof Racks, Cargo Barrier, UHF, Brake Controller, Factory Towbar.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Overland View Post
                  Back to the original problem. My MN Triton would randomly lose power. The revs would drop and no pedal response. It turned out to be a fault with the brake switch or rear lights. When it sees the brake applied it kills the accelerator. It took Mitsubishi a long time to find and gave no error codes. I had to video it to prove it was happening.
                  Great suggestion.

It could also be related to towbar wiring or brake controller. It is easy to unplug these and see if the problem continues.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• BillS
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Holbrook NSW

Originally posted by Overland View Post
                    Thanks for that info Dave, will keep that in mined. Sounds like it would have to be the switch. Went to town yesterday and it was fine apart from using more fuel with the cable out.

Bill

Comment

• BillS
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Holbrook NSW

Received a new cable a couple of days ago, they say they found a problem with the old cable.

Quote, Bill we found a very weird operation of it and what it was doing on a certain angle it wouldn't make contact on one of the pins which was causing the issue
                      We have tested another and sent this out to you.

Was considering going to a blanking plate, have used them before without any problems on BT50s.

Anyway will see how the new cable goes.

Bill

Comment

• BillS
                        • Jan 2020
                        • Holbrook NSW

Well driven close to 5000 km now with new cable and problem has note come back, so assume it was the delete cable, done 4500 km in the last 2 week towing as well all good.

Bill
                        Last edited by BillS; 15-08-20, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BillS View Post
                          Well driven close to 5000 km now with new cable and problem has come back, so assume it was the delete cable, done 4500 km in the last 2 week towing as well all good.

Bill
                          Hi Bill,

So has the problem come back or not? Your post is not clear.

OJ.

Comment

• BillS
                            • Jan 2020
                            • Holbrook NSW

Hi Jack, sorry left the not out, so yes it seems to be fixed so far.

Bill

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X