• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnniee_691
    • Mar 2011
    • Melbourne

Pulls left

hey guys, just noticed today on the hwy that my 6 month old challenger pulls to left at hwy speeds. not too sure if it occurs at lower speeds. is this caused by off road use? is it just a minor problem? and do i just need a wheel alignment to fix it? lastly does anyone know if this should be covered under warranty?

thanks in advance
  • greig
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • kanwal

I'd say its not covered under warranty unless there is a " fault " with the car..

Most likely something you may have hit ( on or off road )..
    A wheel alignment is probably your 1st call....

Comment

• wasarangie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2010
      • Ocean Grove

Yeah second the not covered unless there is a fault and a wheel alignment.

You have checked the tyre pressures I guess.
      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

Something else you can do is check if the brakes are sticking on the left. Jack it and make sure the wheels can spin freely.
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• LukeS
          • Mar 2010
          • Brisbane

You know that all cars (within Australia) are set up to pull left? Its because if the drive falls asleep the car pulls off the road rather then into oncoming traffic - all my cars have done it. Not sure how drastic yours is, but it may just be that it needs a wheel alignment to check its within specifications.
          Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• jimsiron
            • Feb 2010
            • Mildura, gateway to the outback

Originally posted by LukeS View Post
            You know that all cars (within Australia) are set up to pull left? Its because if the drive falls asleep the car pulls off the road rather then into oncoming traffic - all my cars have done it. Not sure how drastic yours is, but it may just be that it needs a wheel alignment to check its within specifications.
            I thought that it was more due to road camber?
            regards
            Jimsiron
            2010 manual in Terra Rosa, ARB deluxe bar,Cibie Oscar lights, Redarc dual battery monitor, Factory mats throughout,Redarc remote brake controller, Electraphone UHF, MMA tow bar, Garmin Navman plus the Misses, and plenty of travelling music! Towing a 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55.3 Outback.

Comment

• wasarangie
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by jimsiron View Post
              I thought that it was more due to road camber?
              regards
              Jimsiron
              Would have been my guess also. My Calais pulls left on the left of the road and right if travelling on the right lane of multi lane freeway. depends which way the camber is going.

BMW does not pull either way anywhere.

My Challenger does not seem to pull left or right.

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• LukeS
                • Mar 2010
                • Brisbane

I've been told this a couple of times now. In a past life I use to import wheel alignment and wheel balancing machines and apparently they had to be calibrated upon entering Australia to configure this.

Camber of the raod would compond the issue.
                Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

Comment

• xrrob
                  • May 2011
                  • Abermain NSW

I have 4 cars and not one pulls to the left or right unless there is a severe camber. It would make for a tiring driving experience if you had a car that pulls and you were doing a long trip. I would get it checked out as it usually only a wheel alignment issue.
                  3.0L 97NK SWB. 2"Body Lift,Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers, ARB Air Compressor,Front & Rear Diff Breathers Under Bonnet, Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs, ARB Steel Winch Bar & 9500lbs Winch, Tyres 265/75 R16 BF Goodrich Mud T/A KM2, UHF, 2" Suspension lift,Koni Adjustable Shocks,Lovells Coil Springs,New Torsion Bars,PolyAir Bags, Tinted Windows, Snorkel,Rock Sliders with Side Rails, Piranha DBE180S Dual BatterySystem,Drifta Rear Draws Installed, 27 Watt LED Rear Light, LightForce Genesis,32"LED Light Bar.

Comment

• johnniee_691
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Melbourne

thanks everyone.
                    my suspicions are that it is wheel alignment, it is only slightly pulling but still probably something to haqve checked out anyway.
                    and yes our old 97 pajero used to pull left as well...

Comment

• wasarangie
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • Ocean Grove

See if they will tell you what the settings are before any adjustment. Then what they set them. It would be interesting to know how much difference there is, if any.

Comment

• TheTaipan
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009
                        • sydney

Don't think so mate. That would mean mounting the footpath and killing pedestrians.

Comment

• cate03
                          • Jun 2010
                          • Sydney

Just had my Challenger wheel aligned at Bridgestone. I was scrubbing the outside edges on the front.
                          My first indication was excessive tyre squeal at low speed in underground concrete polished floor carpark. I use this carpark every day and noticed after a particularly rough rock climbing trip to Menai the following week the tyre squeal was excessive.
                          Interestingly, the Bridgestone guy I was chatting to reckons that you should always get a wheel alignment check on new cars straight off the lot.
                          His experience is that there is a huge customer base of 'new' vehicle owners where he has found incorrect alignments. He also has some local new car dealers send him cars as part of their pre-delivery. (Mitsu dealer was not one of them )
                          I know a heavy truck wheel aligner, he says that all trucks are set to steer a little to the right to compensate for road camber (left). Because trucks don't run a radial tyre like a car, they are more susceptible to road camber.
                          Perhaps the better quality radial tyres fitted to cars/4wd's negates the need for L/R adjustment.
                          Food for thought...I'll ask the opinion of the next wheel aligner I find!

Carl

Comment

• LukeS
                            • Mar 2010
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                            Don't think so mate. That would mean mounting the footpath and killing pedestrians.
                            The chance of hitting pedestrians is far less then having a head on with several cars, I dont see many pedestrians on highways and open roads where most people become fatigued. Had a quick search and there are other forums saying that it is an ADR requirement. I personally think it is a good idea having the car 'drift' to the left (not pull). I'd much prefer to run off the road into a guard rail, a few shrubs or stationary objects then oncoming traffic.

Comment

• TheTaipan
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009
                              • sydney

The chance of hitting pedestrians is far less then having a head on with several cars, I dont see many pedestrians on highways and open roads where most people become fatigued. Had a quick search and there are other forums saying that it is an ADR requirement. I personally think it is a good idea having the car 'drift' to the left (not pull). I'd much prefer to run off the road into a guard rail, a few shrubs or stationary objects then oncoming traffic.

Well it didn't work at Bondi last week. Bloke had a heart attack, veered to the right head on into a bus.

BTW it isn't an ADR requirement.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X