• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • entilza72
    • Jan 2020
    • Brisbane, QLD

Flushing sand via welsh plugs?

Hi everyone,

I took our Pajero on the beach recently and on return I noticed a welsh plug was knocked open. It is on the rear of the wheel arch, behind the front right wheel. Given its location behind the wheel, its guaranteed a lot of sand went inside (I've restored the plug in this photo): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e5b3tysaz...ation.jpg?dl=0

I am wanting to flush some water down this welsh plug hole and flush out any sand.

Does anyone know where it goes? Will the sand and water have free exit out of the body? The last thing I want is to make the sand wet and stuck in the body work - but I find it hard to believe Mitsubishi would make such an obvious "trap".

I have identified two welsh plugs under the body, about half a foot behind the wheel arch - these might be likely candidates for flushing out water: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bnh64t99t...tions.jpg?dl=0

The right side running board is at the bottom of the pic (whoops, I see some dirt that needs removing).

The first welsh plug is in the middle of the frame. I blew compressed air down the wheel arch welsh plug hole and I could feel no air coming out this hole. The other is much larger and at the top, and I couldn't easily remove the plug so I let it sit for the time being.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Ent.
  • Mike DiD
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007

I was wondering what incredibly expensive damage you would have if sand had gotten in through Welsh Plugs.

Welsh Plugs are metal plugs used to fill in the holes left after Engine Block casting process.
    Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Wow I thought the same!
      How the hell would a welsh plug fall out on the beach!

Grommets are what we are talking about here!

I would not bother personally.
      The amount of sand that could get through a relatively small hole would be minimal.
      Was the sand pretty dry? if so leave well enough alone and just put a grommet back in there.
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

The larger grommet is to the floor under the carpet so of no help to you.

I have a feeling that the grommet within the wheel well that came off only goes to within the cabin too.......under the carpet near the pedals. You could blow compressed air through it and try to find where the air comes out.

But as others have said I wouldn't be too worried. You cvould squirt some wd40/anti rust spray down the hole before replacing the grommet.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

Also for info/correctness, the aforementioned "Welsh" plugs are in fact Welch plugs, as per the Welch Motor Car Company of the US (early 1900's).

ps Yes, I can be a pedant at times.
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• entilza72
            • Jan 2020
            • Brisbane, QLD

Hi everyone! Thanks for the responses.

Yes my bad - they're grommets.

The sand was very dry and fly away, but there were also some brief moments of recently wetted sand, but only moments. Given some of the rutts I had to bash sideways through, or angle out of, there has to be a fair amount of sand down there.

I will take the advice not to flush with water, but I will dump some good ol WD40 down there. Great suggestion. Thanks.

I did send compressed air down there yesterday and couldn't pick up there it was coming out. I DID feel a slight draft along a lip under the body, where some kind of rivet must be. Further forward of the underbody grommets.

Thanks for the info re: what the large grommet is for - that's really handy to know.

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

Mine was missing some gromets when I got it and had plenty of sand/grit/mud in it. There is a cavity there and it doesn’t go into the cab so I’d be doing my best to clean it out. I used the garden 1/2 inch hose with the fittings removed.

If you look along the bottom of the sill there are drain pressed drain holes where the two skins meet just behind the plastic sill cover so what you observed air coming out is right. Once you put the hose in you’ll see wheee the water comes out.

Also if you look further in there are a row of gromets as well on the vertical, I pulled them all out and ran the hose in them all until the water ran clear, it’s amazing how much stuff gets flicked in the holes.
              1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
              1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
              2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• entilza72
                • Jan 2020
                • Brisbane, QLD

Excellent! I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks NJV6! :-)

I'm thinking it doesn't hurt to flush these every now and then, in that case.

Comment

• entilza72
                  • Jan 2020
                  • Brisbane, QLD

NJV6 got it right. Thanks mate.

There's two holes drilled into the underbody marked with red arrows below. A substantial amount of mucky water flushed out at first.

And yes, I also flushed the cross bar with the obvious dirt jammed in it in that photo :-)

Thanks to the forum members who took the time to help me.

Ent

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X