• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stacho
    • Apr 2018
    • Perth

NT Diesel Intermittent Noise When Cold

Hi guys, first time posting here so go easy in case I do something wrong. My diesel NT has an intermittent rattle or knocking sound when cold. It goes away after about 10 to 15 mins when warmed up. I found a similar thread and the guy determined it was his top timing chain guide. I’ve checked mine and it’s not that. My chain top guide is fine the plastic is still on and not worn and the chain is tight. It sounds like it’s coming more from the front of the engine and I can hear it still quite loudly when I get down and look at the inter cooler on the front. Here is a YouTube clip of any other guys 4M41 doing the same thing. Any thoughts guys?

Cheers
    Matt
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

There was a recall on these NT cars for a potentially faulty timing chain tensioner (the guide issue was on the earlier NP model, not NT).

Have you checked if this recall was done on your car? There is a link on the MMAL website to enter your VIN and find out if any recalls are outstanding.
    Even so, I would get a dealer to check it for the tensioner issue, as some of the few cars that had the fault ended up with broken chains & major engine damage.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Darknstormy
      • Aug 2015
      • Adelaide

I vote the timing chain tensioner too. Deff a recall on the NT
      Amateur Landscape Photographer
      https://www.facebook.com/darknstormyimages/
      | Mitsubishi Pajero NT RX Dec 2010 3.2L Turbo DID Auto | Cool Silver | SPV EGR Module Mk3.1 | Factory Nudge Bar, King's 9inch LED Spotties | Old Man Emu Shocks | King Springs 2" Lift
      | FuelMaster filter & water trap | Dual Battery, Acdelco 82Ah | Redarc solenoid | Rhino Vortex Roof Racks | Adventure Kings Awening | Bright Blue Interior Lights | Engel 40lt | BT OB2II to Android Monitoring | Octane Tinting

Comment

• Stacho
        • Apr 2018
        • Perth

Thanks for the response guys. Yes, I’m aware of the tensioner recall and can confirm it has been done, albeit under a previous ownership. I did stumble across another thread last night where the owner of that YouTube clip posted. From what I read it seemed a mystery as his suddenly stopped and others had theirs suddenly start and had all sorts of work done to replace tensioner, adjust valve clearance etc all to no avail. Some had it disappear after an oil change, which was interesting. One other thing I did based on advice of another guy with timing chain problems was to take the oil fill cap off and listen. He said Noise coming from the chain was much louder with cap off. Mine wasn’t so I’m at the point I think timing chain isn’t the issue.

Comment

• traktor
          • Oct 2013
          • sydney

My pajero started doing similar noise a month ago, not every cold start, sometimes it is more, other times it is less or not at all. I though it is coming more from belts and pulleys then from inside of the engine but not sure. Next time I'll try to use stethoscope and/or a piece of hose to locate the noise source.

The tensioner recall was done sometime ago and tappets adjustment was done 4-5 month ago.
          NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• Stacho
            • Apr 2018
            • Perth

Thanks traktor, sounds similar to mine. I agree it sounds like that area but stuffednif I can pin point it. I’ve given things there a good push and wack to try and replicate but no joy. It might be a bearing on the alternator or water pump or idler but with tension on the belt I’ll never get a wigglemout of them by hand. Might need to slacken the belt down there one day and try to move all the accessories pulleys around. Unfortunately the Pajero is pretty cramped down there.

Comment

• powerslave
              • Aug 2010
              • Brisbane

Try turning the air con off and see if it goes away.
              Mine does the awful rattling sound when cold and the air con is turned on. I think in my case it's the air conditioner idler pulley.
              2009 NT DiD GLX AUTO , Safety pack & MM RDL WITH TC OVERRIDE, ultimate suspension 2in lift, Maxxis Bighorns, Full Bushskinz body armour, Engine Guardian EG3, ICOM ICF2010 high power UHF, Jonny Tig Intercooler

Comment

• Stacho
                • Apr 2018
                • Perth

Every time I had the noise the aircon wasn’t running however it doesn’t mean the bearings on the tensioner aren’t on their way out or something. I’ll get to the bottom of it one day, I’m too OCD not to! Anyways if anyone stumbles across anything or other suggestions, please chime in. At this stage I’m relegating it to a ‘feature’! Ha.

Comment

• jimako
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Originally posted by powerslave View Post
                  Try turning the air con off and see if it goes away.
                  Mine does the awful rattling sound when cold and the air con is turned on. I think in my case it's the air conditioner idler pulley.
                  Same on mine with the AC
                  2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• _jp_
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2013
                    • Adelaide Hills, SA

My NW diesel has 81000kms on it and have been fastidious with maintenance, including intermittent (7500km) oil and filter changes.

Timing chain tensioner was replaced as part of the recall very early in the piece.

Tonight after work I started it up and heard this same noise. To say I was unimpressed is an understatement. AC was off (it normally is). I'm quite worried about it to be honest.

I'll see what happens in the coming weeks and will report back to advise if it reoccurs and try and grab a video if it does.

I'm certainly keen to know what others have done to get to the bottom of diagnosing and resolving the issue.
                    Last edited by _jp_; 05-07-18, 07:23 PM.
                    NW GLXR - SOLD
                    --------------
                    EVO 6 TME

Comment

• cranky
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Sydney

I had the same issue turned out to be the AC belt was loose, adjusted it and the noise has never returned.
                      NW ironbark Platinum 3.2 DiD Auto, MM Alloy Bull Bar, TX3520 UHF Radio, 175 Narva Driving Lights, Engine Watch Dog, Piranha Dual Battery System, 16 foot olympic javelin caravan.

Comment

• CATs 4x4
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Centurion South Africa

Check the top belts pulley. The pulley has a rubber center to help in vibration damping but I have read of a few failing, mine included. It then wobbles a bit and start catching the top cover making a similar noise, later sounds like belt slip. Catch it before it eats a hole in the cover as that will lead to an oil leak.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
                        2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
                        (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
                        2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
                        2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• Stacho
                          • Apr 2018
                          • Perth

That’s a good point and a good test to do. If you catch it making the noise, drop your belts off and restart and see if it goes. Unfortunately access to the belts is a pain in the Paj compared to my old car. Eitherway can always just pull the belts and wiggle that pulley by hand. I suspect it should make a noise if wobbled my hand with no tension on it?

Comment

• scribble88
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2014
                            • Geraldton, WA

Have you done any work on your car engine recently?

Listening to the YouTube clip, I wondered if the fan was clipping the radiator shroud.

It is an easy enough job to unclip the shroud ( not unbolt, the thin plastic pieces that clip on the bolted shroud )

Check simple things first!
                            2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Comment

• Stacho
                              • Apr 2018
                              • Perth

I wondered if it was that but I got under it and spun the fan, jiggled the fan back and forth and in several directions to see if there was any play, listening and nothing. It was solid and free to spin. I’m going to pull the drive belts off one of these days and get my hands on the air con, water pump and idler pulleys and see if any of them have radial or axial play and make any noise. Gotta figure out the easiest way to do that first. My last car was simple. The Paj has less access to the belts.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X