• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mozz_76
    • Jan 2018
    • Woody Point

Signs of rust already

Just purchased a 2017 Exceed 14 days ago from the dealer with 138 kilometers on it, my first near new car.

Noticed uderneath already showing signs of rust, being a new car thought it would look like new underneath also, took a picture of another 2017 model and looks a lot better underneath.

Is this how quickly rust wear and tear shows underneath as I have only been using it on road surfaces so far and have just put 1200 kilometers on it.
    Attached Files
  • rotare
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

Is this how quickly rust wear and tear shows underneath
    It's probably typical. I'm guessing the trip on the boat over to Australia exposes the vehicles to salty air which will speed up the corrosion process on any unpainted or poorly painted metal components. Depending on where the car was stored on the boat and how much exposure it had to the salty air would explain the varying degree of undercarriage rust from one new vehicle to the next.

None of the surface rust that appears on drivetrain components affects their function or longevity - it's purely aesthetics. Eventually every car ends up with rusty undercarriage components from continual exposure to water from the road and sand blasting from stones and dirt, so it's not something most people tend to concern themselves with.

One decent off road trip or a run along a stretch of beach and you'll probably find within a week you'd have that much surface rust on components, or more.
    2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Amok
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

Surface rust is not a big issue, but that’s certainly more than i would expect on a new car
      MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• The Commodore
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Macarthur Region NSW.

Sorry to say that's a lot worse than my mid 2016 PS is.
        I have a couple of minor paint chips/scratches in the same area that have surface rust but a five cent piece would cover them both.
        I had one of the NT Pajeros that had rusty door tops that Mitsubishi replaced the doors on so it may be worth talking to them to at least register your complaint for possible future action.
        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• PajNT
          • Apr 2010

I wouldn't be happy with that amount of rust considering the car is only 14 days old, looks like it's been through salt water. Mine has surface rust mainly where the welds are, looks like the paint didn't stick but nothing like yours. I would be taking it back to the dealer and having a word to them.

Comment

• Mozz_76
            • Jan 2018
            • Woody Point

Originally posted by PajNT View Post
            I wouldn't be happy with that amount of rust considering the car is only 14 days old, looks like it's been through salt water. Mine has surface rust mainly where the welds are, looks like the paint didn't stick but nothing like yours. I would be taking it back to the dealer and having a word to them.

Am not happy at all, being my first 4wd and new car aswell

Any suggustions on how they could rectify this probelm ?

Comment

• PajNT
              • Apr 2010

They will probably wire brush the affected parts, rust converter and the paint it again. Well that it what they should be doing. Cheers.

Comment

• ron2503
                • Dec 2017
                • Alex Hills

Originally posted by Mozz_76 View Post
                Am not happy at all, being my first 4wd and new car aswell

Any suggustions on how they could rectify this probelm ?
                I'd be asking for a free rust protection!!!
                2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

we had similar surface rust on our new Challenger ... MMA didn't want to know about it (as it was only surface rust not penetrating rust) ... but our trusty Mitsubishi dealer with their good faith paid for a rust proofing for us ...

before we took the vehicle down, I went over it with wire brush and cleaned off with mineral turps ... then applied Wattyl Killrust Paint (all in one 3 step) all over affected area's ... when we took it to the rust proof'r he said it was applied so well that possibly didn't need to get it rust proofed (but they still went ahead) ...
                  NB also do the topside of the chassis between the cabin (it's tight in there) ...

all the best ..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Bigger issue is the unseen corrosion that can be occurring between the alloy rims and the untreated steel wheel hubs. If left untreated the wheels can become "frozen" on and very difficult to remove. I had all of the above issue with my Challenger when it was new in 2011, so welcome to the real world disappointments of buying a new car that is import, that has sat on the docks and on a ship for 4 to 8 weeks. My dealer said MMAL and MMC do not consider it a problem but I did!

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Mozz_76
                      • Jan 2018
                      • Woody Point

Mitsubishi has fixed the issue with the rust underneath and also rust proofed the car

The down side a bottle was left on the back seat with some chemical in the bottle and had eaten away at the leather seat . And for some reason i now have issue's with the speakers in the whole car, the sound quality has gone and all the speakers are distorted and sounds terrible. AM - FM and moible phone sound horrible on all.

Have taken it back to the dealer and they have no idea why it is like that.

Anyone else had issue's with sound system.

Comment

• Phil G
                        • Aug 2017
                        • Mornington

I recently had an issue where I was on the phone, connected via cable/Car Play and reached my destination and I removed the cable just prior to turning the car off, to continue my phone conversation. When I next drove the car the audio quality was terrible, for all forms, radio, Bluetooth, via Car Play (think bad AM radio quality).

I eventually corrected the situation by simply making a new phone call via Car Play and the normal audio quality returned.

Comment

• Mozz_76
                          • Jan 2018
                          • Woody Point

Thanks Phil,

I tried it and it worked , i hadn't made a phone call in the car over the weekend,

for a 2017 exceed you would think that these issue's wouldn't happen.

Cheers

Comment

• Ruwan
                            • Mar 2018
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Mozz_76 View Post
                            Just purchased a 2017 Exceed 14 days ago from the dealer with 138 kilometers on it, my first near new car.

Noticed uderneath already showing signs of rust, being a new car thought it would look like new underneath also, took a picture of another 2017 model and looks a lot better underneath.

Is this how quickly rust wear and tear shows underneath as I have only been using it on road surfaces so far and have just put 1200 kilometers on it.
                            When we bought ours, (PS 2017 GLS) the dealer insisted on installing en electronic rust proofing system. They said that if you are going to use in the beach, electronic rust proofing is a must otherwise the manufacturer's warranty will be void.
                            So we decided to buy the additional electronic system.

I cant notice any rust under body so far after 1 1/2 years.

(havent done any salt water crossings so far)

Comment

• sunpower
                              • Jun 2018
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Ruwan View Post
                              When we bought ours, (PS 2017 GLS) the dealer insisted on installing en electronic rust proofing system. They said that if you are going to use in the beach, electronic rust proofing is a must otherwise the manufacturer's warranty will be void.
                              So we decided to buy the additional electronic system.

I cant notice any rust under body so far after 1 1/2 years.

(havent done any salt water crossings so far)
                              That' sound great, could you pls share few photos? for my one , it really worse

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X