X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shocker1
    • Jun 2008

Outlander CVT

We picked up our brand new Outlander on Saturday. It comes with CVT, but I am unfamiliar with this type of transmission & I'm hoping someone here can fill me in on the strengths & weaknesses etc. There is a warning indicator if the CVT overheats in 4wd mode. Are they prone to this, or is this indicator just a courtesy gymick fitted to all of them?. Has anyone driven the CVT in 4wd for long periods on the beach or dirt tracks & if so, any problems?. Do they have a transmission cooler on them, or should I fit one?. Does the 4wd lock mode lock a centre diff like super select in our Pajero, or is it something else?. I am assuming that the 4wd split would be 60 - 40 front to rear, rather than 50 - 50. Very nice car & package to drive, we are really happy with it.

Matt.
  • osca4x4
    • Mar 2010
    • Deepwater NSW

the cvt is a constant velocity transmission. it has an unlimited amount of gear ratios providing the best combination for all driving conditions, they were once limited to expensive auro cars.

you should have years of trouble free motoring with it.

Comment

• Merts
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2011
      • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by osca4x4 View Post
      the cvt is a constant velocity transmission. it has an unlimited amount of gear ratios providing the best combination for all driving conditions, they were once limited to expensive auro cars.

you should have years of trouble free motoring with it.
      Ahhh..... No, not exactly.

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission.

There are a few different brands/types out there, but I'm pretty sure the Outlander CVT is a Jatco (this make is used on Nissans including the newer X-trails).

"The CVT is an automatic transmission that uses two pulleys with a steel belt running between them. To continuously vary its gear ratios, the CVT simultaneously adjusts the diameter of the "drive pulley" that transmits torque from the engine and the "driven pulley" that transfers torque to the wheels. With stepless shifting of gear ratios, the CVT can avoid the shift-shock and deliver smooth driving, making it an exceptional transmission solution"

By constantly varying the gear ratio they keep the engine in the "best" rev range, giving good performance and fuel efficiency.

I don't know if the unit used in the Outlander is exactly the same as the one used in the X-Trail, but there have been plenty of instances of CVTs failing after not that many kms in the Nissans. Hopefully the one in your Outlander is a reliable unit.
      Merts
      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Hi

Friend has a 2009 model with 168,000 kms of often hard motoring and still working very well.
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X