• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

Got pics showing trans oil cooler installation to upload this time. Note the slots cut in lower support for hoses and horn moved to mid-section to free up room. Under body pic shows the engine Rad, condenser, engine oil cooler and hardlines to attach new trans cooler. Note under engine rad the bare nipples that I'll keep an eye on for leaking coolant.

Hardest problem I had was coming up with a way to hold the bolts in place while attaching cooler with nuts. Could not get my hand behind the cooler so needed a rubber washer to help hold in place.

For anyone else doing this job take note of the new hoses being installed as they were very tight to get over nipples. I used some silicone spray lube and then O ring lube to help but it was still a mission to get on all the way. Heating the hose in some hot water would be a good idea.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by benckj; 03-02-20, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• benckj
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2017
      • Alexandra , New Zealand

Answering my own question on coolant confusion.

Have you ever seen the inside of an aluminum water pump that was not adequately protected by the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant? Or a radiator or heater core that failed from the inside out because of internal corrosion? These kinds of parts failures are all too common. Yet they can be easily prevented by

Difference in colour is soley due to the corrosion inhibitors used which also define fluid life before changing. I tend to run with the universal green stuff as I like to change my fluids often. This gives me a good change to perform health checks on my internals including motor oil, coolant and brake fluids.

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

Looks like our 2012 NW has also suffered the dreaded engine oil cooler leak! The Missus went to the servo this morning and when she returned she mentioned an oil spill on the carport floor. I've had a look and there is no oil showing on the dipstick but the radiator is full of oil and pumping it out the overflow.

I'm hoping she hasn't driven too far with it like that. It's on its way on a flatbed to Mitsubishi for diagnosis tomorrow hopefully. Sounding expensive though! I didn't check her km's but pretty sure it's up around the 150,000km mark. It's been a pretty good vehicle over the past 8 years and this is the first major issue it's had, so no point complaining too much I guess. I just hope she hasn't caused any further engine damage.
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

Well the bad news is in! MM have quoted me $3800 to do the failed oil cooler, thermostat radiator cap and gaskets/seals/flush etc, but the kicker is they have told me it's a 3-4 month wait for parts!

Would anyone have a complete list of part numbers I need to do this job myself? I've seen the oil cooler on Amayama for around $900, just not sure what other bits I may need.
          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
            Well the bad news is in! MM have quoted me $3800 to do the failed oil cooler, thermostat radiator cap and gaskets/seals/flush etc, but the kicker is they have told me it's a 3-4 month wait for parts!

Would anyone have a complete list of part numbers I need to do this job myself? I've seen the oil cooler on Amayama for around $900, just not sure what other bits I may need.
            A good tip, Dishwasher pills for dishwashers, once you tackle it.

I seen another told by Misty no parts two weeks back.

We had Fendt tractor chocker block with thick gunge, same reason, same problem at work, but on a bigger scale!

It works, breaks up the oil & doesn't froth we found.

Due to us being nice people & the owner being long term customer he spent couple days clean up after we had dissassembled then re-assemble about a apart & a day back together.

The radiator with hot water Gernie was no chance of cleaning, dishwasher pills then hot water & degreaser, tractor has been in service now for maybe 6 months after the event, so obviously dishwasher hasn't damaged the many sensors.

Keep in mind rubber hoses were never made for oil either, think heater hoses, radiator hoses, won't have done them any favours, being full of oil for quite sometime now.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              A good tip, Dishwasher pills for dishwashers, once you tackle it.

I seen another told by Misty no parts two weeks back.

Keep in mind rubber hoses were never made for oil either, think heater hoses, radiator hoses, won't have done them any favours, being full of oil for quite sometime now.
              I've decided to go ahead with MM doing the job, I priced the parts I needed on Amayama and there was a difference of only about $400. 2k for labour from MM is hard to swallow, but there is a fair bit to do, they've also told me it will probably need to come back a couple of times for further flushing. I've asked them about expediting the parts required from Japan via airfreight as they weigh under 5kg, so will have to see how that goes.
              I'll keep the hoses in mind, I already have a few spare radiator and heater hoses at home.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

I priced the parts I needed on Amayama and there was a difference of only about $400. 2k for labour from MM is hard to swallow, but there is a fair bit to do, they've also told me it will probably need to come back a couple of times for further flushing.
                I'll keep the hoses in mind, I already have a few spare radiator and heater hoses at home.
                Out of interest only for if ever i cross the bridge whats the parts required?
                Roughly speaking i mean.

Oil cooler & what else???
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Automatic Dishwasher powder and tablets are too alkaline with a PH between 9.5 and 11, this will cause corrosion on aluminium and brass so I would not use them inside a radiator or engine.

Conventional hand dishwashing liquid is PH 7 so it is neutral, if you really want to boost the oil dissolving properties then the addition of Bicarb Soda will assist.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                    Out of interest only for if ever i cross the bridge whats the parts required?
                    Roughly speaking i mean.

Oil cooler & what else???
                    These are the parts quoted, they've come back now and told me parts will now be 6-8 weeks, completion roughly Xmas- Early New Year.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Automatic Dishwasher powder and tablets are too alkaline with a PH between 9.5 and 11, this will cause corrosion on aluminium and brass so I would not use them inside a radiator or engine.

Conventional hand dishwashing liquid is PH 7 so it is neutral, if you really want to boost the oil dissolving properties then the addition of Bicarb Soda will assist.

OJ.
                      Your idea sounds like a rippa Jack.

I would try your idea, for sure.

I don't own a dishwasher, but i wonder how many people have corrosion issues with washed goods?

Fendt radiator was like about $5,000 i think from memory & the tractor has bunch more gear trust me.
                      Rolls Royce of tractors they are.
                      Interesting to see how it goes, almost 100% sure its alloy radiator & coolers. Been back in field for months now, i reckon was the start of 2020.

I've had a bit of a read through this thread & i know one place i will not be trying & that's Mitsubishi workshop, i could buy new radiator & cooler, less to clean & get change more than likely!

Comment

• Scooby
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Ipswich, Qld.

How does the oil cooler work in the Pajero?
                        Does it have external coolant lines going to it?
                        At a pinch could you loop the coolant hoses and blank the cooler end to keep it going.
                        Yes I know it is there for a reason but if you were stuck and drove sensibly ie no towing, racing etc, could it get you by till parts arrived?
                        Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                          How does the oil cooler work in the Pajero?
                          Does it have external coolant lines going to it?
                          At a pinch could you loop the coolant hoses and blank the cooler end to keep it going.
                          Yes I know it is there for a reason but if you were stuck and drove sensibly ie no towing, racing etc, could it get you by till parts arrived?
                          No Chance, its on a bracket that the oil filter bolts to on the side of the block. Part # 10 in the below diagram is the actual cooler.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

Comment

• stevemc181
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • Thornlie/Perth

Not sure what an Ebay link to an EGR cooler delete has to do with the engine oil cooler? It's got nothing to do with the EGR system.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Greater Sydney

Not sure what an Ebay link to an EGR cooler delete has to do with the engine oil cooler? It's got nothing to do with the EGR system.

Ok. Just trying to help.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X