• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterC51
    • Dec 2015
    • Melbourne

Surging - suction control valve?

Been touring up north towing 2.2 tonne and experiencing some surging for a couple of weeks. Happens also unhitched now. Been to 2 Mitsi service centres the second of which did proper (paid for) diagnostics rather than road test. Both say the fuel suction control valve is the cause. This is not a cheap puppy at $480+gst and then 1.7 hours labour. I'm wondering if I should lay out even more cash and replace the fuel filter too. Thoughts anyone?
    Peter
    MY10 PB XLS auto, MML alloy bullbar, Dobinsons suspension 2" lift, Bushskinz plates, ARB aluminium roof rack, 2nd battery in rear guard, MML towbar, BFG A/T tyres, Clearview mirrors, 80 ch UHF, WaterWatch alarm, AutoMate, Steinbaur chip etc.
  • starjunk
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

Originally posted by PeterC51 View Post
    Been touring up north towing 2.2 tonne and experiencing some surging for a couple of weeks. Happens also unhitched now. Been to 2 Mitsi service centres the second of which did proper (paid for) diagnostics rather than road test. Both say the fuel suction control valve is the cause. This is not a cheap puppy at $480+gst and then 1.7 hours labour. I'm wondering if I should lay out even more cash and replace the fuel filter too. Thoughts anyone?
    If you're even a bit handy, you can buy the valve (genuine ex Malaysia) for under $100 and fit it in less than half an hour. HOWEVER then it apparently needs a relearn. :-(
    '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
    '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
    '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
    '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Boo Boo
      • Aug 2012
      • Kilsyth

Some people say that you can rotate it 180 degrees and the problem might go away for a little while. You coule do this and at least will will prove if this is te problem.
      2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• pb4x2
        • May 2015
        • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Recently purchased a used 2011 MN Triton which had just been serviced and was suffering similar problem surging. Turned out the fuel filter had been changed and was leaking a little, so tightened it and all's good now.
        2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• PeterC51
          • Dec 2015
          • Melbourne

Thanks for this feedback guys.
          Peter
          MY10 PB XLS auto, MML alloy bullbar, Dobinsons suspension 2" lift, Bushskinz plates, ARB aluminium roof rack, 2nd battery in rear guard, MML towbar, BFG A/T tyres, Clearview mirrors, 80 ch UHF, WaterWatch alarm, AutoMate, Steinbaur chip etc.

Comment

• Sjb-85
            • Jan 2013
            • Pakenham, Vic

Also been told carby cleaner on the suction control valve works as well
            2012, Mitsubishi PB Challenger LS (manual)

Comment

• Phojomark
              • Jun 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
              If you're even a bit handy, you can buy the valve (genuine ex Malaysia) for under $100 and fit it in less than half an hour. HOWEVER then it apparently needs a relearn. :-(
              This. I did it about 50K ago, no probes since. It's an easy change. Didn't bother with a relearn for maybe 10K until it was getting a recall done, cost about $80 for the relearn from memory.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Peter,
                Is the surge you can hear and feel, detectable on the tachometer?
                Even better if you have an OBDII gauge to monitor RPM's fluctuation.

Reason I ask if I get a pulse/surge/noise/feeling at cruise speeds of above 95kph in both 4th and 5th, more noticeable using cruise control and on flat or gentle undulating roads. Spent 6 years snd 110,000kms trying to resolve it, no detectable rpm change, no unusual boost pressure changes so I have discounted the SCV and the Variable inlet turbo control. For a while I thought it was a type of injector harmonic/resonance but I am fairly sure it is ATF turbulence in the auto box's valves and/or torque convertor. All Challenger owners I ask respond the same way. Manual trans no noise/surge/pulse, Auto trans has noise/surge/pulse, so this is why I have drawn the conclusions I have.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Chris4x4
                  • May 2012
                  • Geelong

Had a similar slight surging mainly under light load( towing small trailer) when on cruise and mostly going up slight gradient, mentioned to dealer service dept and they said it needed software upgrade.
                  That was about 40,000 km ago, no probs since they did whatever they did. Now at 80000km
                  2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• PeterC51
                    • Dec 2015
                    • Melbourne

OJ I have a gauge for digital RPM and no discernable difference did I see. Since having diagnostics run on Friday I took the vehicle back for use on the weekend whilst the part I had to prepay was being shipped up from Brisbane. Wouldn't you know it...no surge during my weekend driving! Will be back to dealer this morning and take delivery of the new kit but not have it fitted. Play a wait and see approach. Damned expensive spare to carry though!
                    Peter

Comment

• Toddyh
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Lalor Park, NSW

I've had surging. Replaced the SCV myself in about 15 minutes. No relearn. Cost about $180 for the genuine part from memory.
                      They are ripping you off badly.
                      2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• jimiw
                        • Jan 2017
                        • Brisbane

any photos? where is this little bugger
                        2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
                          I've had surging. Replaced the SCV myself in about 15 minutes. No relearn. Cost about $180 for the genuine part from memory.
                          They are ripping you off badly.
                          Did you get rpm fluctuations that were detectable on the tacho or OBD II guage?

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Toddyh
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            Did you get rpm fluctuations that were detectable on the tacho or OBD II guage?

OJ.
                            No OJ. Nothing noticeable at all. Purely driving feel.
                            2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Toddyh
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by jimiw View Post
                              any photos? where is this little bugger
                              It's on the passenger side at the back of the fuel pump. There's a grey or blue plug going into it. If you looks down over the battery you can't miss it. Only 2 bolts and the plug to remove it. New SCV comes with a replacement gasket.

It's even cheaper than I remember

I believe there's 2 variants. Check with the seller before purchasing. I think the change over was mid 2010. The one above is pre mid 2010.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X