• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DriverX
    • Mar 2012
    • Gold Coast

My rusty towbar

Hi everyone,

I love my new car! Once concern I have, however, is that of rust! It really scares me, mostly because I do not know anything about it especially regarding it's effects on cars.

The other day I was having a look around my car and noticed the towbar had some rust, so I looked underneath and saw more. I do not think any other parts of the car have rusted, though I can't be sure how much rust is too much!

I've attached some shots (with more to come if I can) showing what I am talking about.

We just bought the car last week, and unfortunately forgot to inspect this section of the car before accepting it and paying. Do you think this would be something they could replace for us (free of charge)? Is it something covered under that one-month statutory warranty thing? What exactly is this statutory warranty even?

Anyways, thanks for your continued support and I look forward to seeing some of you on the road! (Already got one thumbs up the other day from someone in a GLX)

See ya!
    Attached Files
    Formerly: Beautiful 2007 NS Diesel Exceed
  • DriverX
    • Mar 2012
    • Gold Coast

the rest of the pics...
    Attached Files
    Formerly: Beautiful 2007 NS Diesel Exceed

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

Oh, that doesn,t look very nice atall. to me the previous owner towed a boat abit too low down the ramp and this is why the areas in pics look how they look. what you now should do is remove the complete tow bar unit from car and go over with a grinder to remove all rusted areas and treat with anti rust agents . other underbody areas can be cleaned up with a wire brush and scraper tools then treated with anti rust agents.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Jords
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2011
        • Kellyville Ridge

How the rest of the chassis look? In the picks it just looks like the tow bar. So either repair or replace. Need to check state legislation re selling vehicles with corrosion. I think its illegal in NSW but to what extent and how much can be corroded I dont know.
        2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Peakhurst, Sydney

May be worth having sand-blasted (garnet is better than sand which has hi salt-content) before being repainted or powder-coated.
          Another area you must have inspected (up on a hoist), is around the rear suspension & especially the brake components!

The first NH Pajero swb I looked at when shopping for a vehicle, didn't have any visible paint on the chassis as it was completely covered in rust, (my guess was too much beach-driving) !?!

Steve
          Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
          "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• DaveXT
            • Mar 2010
            • Melbourne Outer East

AS ABOVE it appears the car has been backed into salt water when launching a boat.
            Have an engineer inspect it and make a warranty claim.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X