• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripplec84
    • Feb 2017
    • Adelaide

Fuel or exhaust smell with A/C

Hey guys,

Been experiencing this problem for a while but seems to be getting a lot worse now.

When I use the aircon and I stop in traffic then I get a exhaust/fuel smell coming through the cab. As soon as I start driving again then the smell goes away.

When I activate the button to only circulate air inside the cab then I don’t get the smell, also not when I just use the fan or the heater, it only happens when I use the a/c.

I read somewhere someone said there is a vent near the back of the vehicle which might not be closing properly and exhaust fumes could come in? Does anyone have clarity on this or has anyone had this problem before.

On a side note, if it is just exhaust fumes then it smells really rich of petrol, but I don’t think my fuel consumption is too bad by the sounds of what others get.

BTW it’s a 2003 3.5 V6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

You mention it only happens with A/C on, not with just the fan?

This makes me wonder if it is a smell from the A/C evaporator (inside the dash)? These sometimes get an algal growth on the coils that stinks with a mouldy type of smell when the A/C is used. You can get a special cleaner for this (but I'm unsure how you apply it).

If it is a really strong petrol smell, check for fuel leaks under bonnet, under car & the fuel filler. There may also be fuel vapor/return lines that could be leaking? There is also an access hatch under the right rear seat - have you had any filters replaced recently?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Tripplec84
      • Feb 2017
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
      You mention it only happens with A/C on, not with just the fan?

This makes me wonder if it is a smell from the A/C evaporator (inside the dash)? These sometimes get an algal growth on the coils that stinks with a mouldy type of smell when the A/C is used. You can get a special cleaner for this (but I'm unsure how you apply it).

If it is a really strong petrol smell, check for fuel leaks under bonnet, under car & the fuel filler. There may also be fuel vapor/return lines that could be leaking? There is also an access hatch under the right rear seat - have you had any filters replaced recently?

Hi Spot01

Yes only with the a/c and only the vehicle is stationary and it is circulating air from outside.

I was also thinking maybe a dirty/mouldy condenser but then the smell should be there all the time and shouldn’t go away when I only circulate air inside the cab.

It is definitely a strong fuel/exhaust smell. I did replace the fuel filter a couple of months ago (this past winter) but the smell was there the previous summer as well.

I will try have a look around and see if there are any leaks around the fuel supply lines. I haven’t been using more fuel than normal so I don’t think I do have a leak unless it’s a very slight leak, not enough to notice excessive fuel usage but enough for fuel vapour to get sucked in by the a/c.

Do you perhaps know where the air inlet is for the a/c ?

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Tripplec84 View Post
        Hi Spot01

Yes only with the a/c and only the vehicle is stationary and it is circulating air from outside.

I was also thinking maybe a dirty/mouldy condenser but then the smell should be there all the time and shouldn’t go away when I only circulate air inside the cab.

It is definitely a strong fuel/exhaust smell. I did replace the fuel filter a couple of months ago (this past winter) but the smell was there the previous summer as well.

I will try have a look around and see if there are any leaks around the fuel supply lines. I haven’t been using more fuel than normal so I don’t think I do have a leak unless it’s a very slight leak, not enough to notice excessive fuel usage but enough for fuel vapour to get sucked in by the a/c.

Do you perhaps know where the air inlet is for the a/c ?

The outside air inlet for the cabin is next to the windscreen wipers at the base of the windscreen. Sometimes leaves, etc. can get inside here & rot, so if you often get small leaves on the car it might be worth checking? I think there would be a rubber seal at the rear edge of the bonnet to stop engine bay heat & odours from entering the cabin air inlet - make sure it is intact & sealing properly.

The Gen 4 has a pollen filter for the cabin air, located in behind the glovebox, but I'm unsure if the Gen 3 has one.

Petrol will give off a very strong smell from very little fuel, so I doubt you would notice any change in economy. Also, petrol leaves virtually no residue after evaporating, so it can be difficult to see where it weeping or leaking. Best way to narrow it down is to have a good sniff around all likely areas outside, under & inside the car when the smell is there. If it only occurs when driving, get someone to drive the car whilst you sit in various places through the car to try to narrow it down.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

When you can smell the fuel, check around the fuel filler cap. You will probably find this is where the smell emanates. There is a fuel vapour system where the engine is supposed to suck the vapours and burn them. A charcoal cannister is included in the system. Check the vacuum hoses connecting the fuel tank to the cannister, and also from there to the engine. You may need a new seal on the fuel cap.

Comment

• Tripplec84
            • Feb 2017
            • Adelaide

So I spent some time smelling all around the car but only while idling in the driveway and can’t seem to smell fuel anywhere, maybe there is a leak somewhere when the car is moving?

The only smell I did get was the exhaust, but only right at the back where the exhaust ends and it’s quite a strong smell, much like the one I get in the cab.

What still baffles me is that this only happens with the a/c on and when stationary. Never when using the heater, just fan or when the cab air circulation is on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep plodding along and hopefully find the source.

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

So I spent some time smelling all around the car but only while idling in the driveway and can’t seem to smell fuel anywhere, maybe there is a leak somewhere when the car is moving?

The only smell I did get was the exhaust, but only right at the back where the exhaust ends and it’s quite a strong smell, much like the one I get in the cab.

What still baffles me is that this only happens with the a/c on and when stationary. Never when using the heater, just fan or when the cab air circulation is on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep plodding along and hopefully find the source.

So it smells more like exhaust than fuel?

Does your Gen 3 have a separate rear A/C unit like many Gen 4 do?
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Tripplec84
                • Feb 2017
                • Adelaide

So it smells more like exhaust than fuel?

Does your Gen 3 have a separate rear A/C unit like many Gen 4 do?

Yes, seems more like a exhaust fume smell. I’ve got the seperate rear A/C as well but never really use it.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Yes, seems more like a exhaust fume smell. I’ve got the seperate rear A/C as well but never really use it.
                  Following the puzzle that the smell only appears with A/C on, I was wondering whether the rear A/C (which is located outside the car, behind the right rear wheel) might be somehow implicated, even if not on (perhaps it still does something when the front A/C is on?)
                  You also mentioned the "flap covers" that allow air to exit the cabin - these are in behind the rear quarter trims at the back of the car & might be worth checking?
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• symo
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Brisvegas

Similar issue on my old NP , Left side vent flap was stuck open so let dust and exhaust smells in.

Comment

• Tripplec84
                      • Feb 2017
                      • Adelaide

Following the puzzle that the smell only appears with A/C on, I was wondering whether the rear A/C (which is located outside the car, behind the right rear wheel) might be somehow implicated, even if not on (perhaps it still does something when the front A/C is on?)
                      You also mentioned the "flap covers" that allow air to exit the cabin - these are in behind the rear quarter trims at the back of the car & might be worth checking?

Just had a look at the ducting and rear a/c unit, nothing obvious stands out to indicate where exhaust fumes could be entering.

Regarding the flap covers, it seems like I need to remove the bumper to get to it. I could not see it when I had the interior trim off so I’m guessing it’s behind the bumper.

Just over a year ago someone drove into the back of me and my rear bumper was replaced. I’m wondering now if that has anything to do with it. It wasn’t a hard impact, just enough to cause enough cosmetic damage to the bumper to have to replace it. Maybe something happened to the flap cover when the crash happened or maybe when the crash repairers replaced the bumper.

Comment

• Tripplec84
                        • Feb 2017
                        • Adelaide

Fuel or exhaust smell with A/C

Originally posted by symo View Post
                        Similar issue on my old NP , Left side vent flap was stuck open so let dust and exhaust smells in.

Awesome! Thanks Symo! That sounds a whole lot better than removing the entire rear bumper. I will pull the light assemblies out tomorrow when I get a chance. Hopefully that’s the problem.
                        Last edited by Tripplec84; 04-11-19, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• konstantinoskG.
                          • Jan 2019
                          • GR

Hey guys,

Been experiencing this problem for a while but seems to be getting a lot worse now.

When I use the aircon and I stop in traffic then I get a exhaust/fuel smell coming through the cab. As soon as I start driving again then the smell goes away.

When I activate the button to only circulate air inside the cab then I don’t get the smell, also not when I just use the fan or the heater, it only happens when I use the a/c.

I read somewhere someone said there is a vent near the back of the vehicle which might not be closing properly and exhaust fumes could come in? Does anyone have clarity on this or has anyone had this problem before.

On a side note, if it is just exhaust fumes then it smells really rich of petrol, but I don’t think my fuel consumption is too bad by the sounds of what others get.

BTW it’s a 2003 3.5 V6

Hello Tripplec84.
                          I had the same problem with my Outlander and friends V80 .
                          The problem was a cracked EGR hose.
                          From both of them,there is a spiral type hose that conects to EGR, you can try finding a leak or a small hole,a small miror can help you to have a view behind the hose.

Greatings Konstantinos

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G965F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Comment

• Tripplec84
                            • Feb 2017
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by konstantinoskG. View Post
                            Hello Tripplec84.
                            I had the same problem with my Outlander and friends V80 .
                            The problem was a cracked EGR hose.
                            From both of them,there is a spiral type hose that conects to EGR, you can try finding a leak or a small hole,a small miror can help you to have a view behind the hose.

Greatings Konstantinos

Hi Konstantinos,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I might be wrong but I don’t think I have a EGR. I have the connection on the extractor and intake manifold but the intake port has a blanking plate on it and the exhaust extractor has a blind hole where the pipe would be connected.

By the way it’s a 3.5l v6 petrol.

Regards
                            Charlie

Comment

• konstantinoskG.
                              • Jan 2019
                              • GR

upsy. Didn't know that.
                              Bit theoretic that can be possible. Give it a try..
                              Regards

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X