• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sregdor45
    • Feb 2011
    • Warrnambool

Magna engine swap into Pajero

Hey lads, I'm considering swapping a magna engine into my Nh Paj. Have read most of the posts regarding this, but wondering if the Harmonic Balancer off the magna works with the Paj, as mine has been chewed out by a broken key. It also chewed into the crankshaft. Any ideas from those that have done the job? Thanks
  • ravofireman
    • Jun 2010
    • tasmania

gday, No you need the paj one as they are diffrent.

Its a lot of work, i have got the motor out stripped and back in and fired, and (dont ask me why but it has now dropped a valve so gotta pull it apart agian
    1990 NG SWB -- mods coming soon --

1992 NH 7seater stock as daily driver

Comment

• sregdor45
      • Feb 2011
      • Warrnambool

I feel for ya. To do it once is bad enough. I guess I better chase up a H/B too then. Thanks

Comment

• ravofireman
        • Jun 2010
        • tasmania

Originally posted by sregdor45 View Post
        I feel for ya. To do it once is bad enough. I guess I better chase up a H/B too then. Thanks
        i have never had a car beat me yet and this one wont, Just gotta wait for the rain to stop, Bloody got a shed but its too full, Got a truck and a tractor i am in restore mode with and there no room in there lol

Ah well Good luck mate, Make sure you go and buy urself a Gregorys manual, Great things

Comment

• sregdor45
          • Feb 2011
          • Warrnambool

Yeah got one already. It's been very handy in the past.

Comment

• knakkers
            • Nov 2007
            • Hampton Park

I put a magna 6g72 engine into my NJ paj abt 3-4 yrs. Massive job.......you can only use the bare block & heads........thats it.......nothin else.......strip both engines completly & change everything over from ur old paj engine to the magna engine.

The rocker covers, sump, oil pick up, water pump etc will not fit, from the magna 6g72 engine......u gotta strip the magna 6g72 engine totally, & put all the parts from ur paj engine on it. A gasket kit is necessary.

Cheers
            Stuart
            NJ LWB GLS with sunroof, 3.0, Dual fuel, custom built alloy bullbar, Hayman Reese tow bar, tinted windows

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Peakhurst, Sydney

Certainly worth checking compression...

Originally posted by knakkers View Post
              I put a magna 6g72 engine into my NJ paj abt 3-4 yrs. Massive job.......you can only use the bare block & heads........thats it.......nothin else.......strip both engines completly & change everything over from ur old paj engine to the magna engine.

The rocker covers, sump, oil pick up, water pump etc will not fit, from the magna 6g72 engine......u gotta strip the magna 6g72 engine totally, & put all the parts from ur paj engine on it. A gasket kit is necessary.

Cheers
              Stuart
              You'd really be pissed off if you did all that work then to find you needed to replace head-gasket/s!

Steve
              Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
              "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• sregdor45
                • Feb 2011
                • Warrnambool

Cheers lads. All info is greatly appreciated. It sounds like a reco paj, although more exp, would be the easier option. I can do the work myself, but time might be the trouble. The wife doesn't really enjoy driving my old Rangey.

Comment

• ravofireman
                  • Jun 2010
                  • tasmania

Originally posted by sregdor45 View Post
                  Cheers lads. All info is greatly appreciated. It sounds like a reco paj, although more exp, would be the easier option. I can do the work myself, but time might be the trouble. The wife doesn't really enjoy driving my old Rangey.
                  If ya get a reco long paj one there is just about as much work involveld i would imagne, as ya would have to but oil pump, water pump, rocker covers and everyy other bolt on part still on it

Comment

• sregdor45
                    • Feb 2011
                    • Warrnambool

I took the easy option. Got a secondhand one. Done about 170,000 kms. Figure I should get at least another 1-150 thou out of it. I'll be praying so anyhow. Should be here next week.

Comment

• knakkers
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Hampton Park

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                      You'd really be pissed off if you did all that work then to find you needed to replace head-gasket/s!

Steve
                      Steve, i bought the engine with a warranty...... so there was no issues there. Ive done abt 100,000kms plus, since the transplant, the magna 6G72 engine has not missed a beat, it doesnt burn or leak oil or water at all. There has not been any problems or issues at all since the transplant.........TOUCH WOOD!. The magna 6G72 engine runs like a dream on dual fuel, & yes, i give my poor Paj a good hard flogging off-road in the bush quite often.

Stu
                      NJ LWB GLS with sunroof, 3.0, Dual fuel, custom built alloy bullbar, Hayman Reese tow bar, tinted windows

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X