• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

Sat phone 2020

Looking at options to the expensive Telstra sat phone.

Any recommendations for or warnings against options?
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Had the Telstra Iridium phone for many years. Had one mounted in the car as well as a portable. Often had service where the other carriers didnt. I,d go Iridium any day. Of course you can buy second hand at good prices or for short trips...hire them. No real negatives from using them....sometimes atmospheric conditions can make getting a signal hard. Also tree canopy can play havoc.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Not all sat phones are created equal, there's no doubt about that.

It's been a little while since I last researched the market, so this may be a little out of date.

Ultimately, I agree with Dicko - the Iridium network is the one to be on, as it gives you your best chance of being able to make a call when you need. It uses a constellation of satellites that are continually orbiting, and can route calls from satellite to satellite to reach a ground station. As long as you can see one of their satellites the call will work (weather conditions permitting).

Another alternative (Thuraya?) uses one or more geostationary satellites above the equator, which are essentially fixed in position with respect to the ground. The further south you go the lower the satellite is to the horizon, making it easier for the signal to be blocked. But at least the satellite is always there.

The cheapest solution uses orbiting satellites that are effectively like a mirror - it simply bounces the signal (OK, receives and re-transmits) to a ground station. So the call will only work if the satellite can see both the phone and a ground station at the same time. The last I looked, there were only two ground stations for this system in Australia - the closer you are to a ground station, the more reliable the service, and vice-versa. If you're in the wrong spot, there may only be a few minutes every few hours that you can make a call. I know somebody who spent a day trying to make a phone call with one of these satellite phones, and never got through. In an emergency, how many precious minutes do you waste trying to make a call with a system like that?

I think satellite phones are still one of those products where you truly get what you pay for. Make sure you understand what you get (or don't get) for your money.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

I have a Thuraya Lite and had no problems connecting, even here in Melbourne it's fine and we are in the hills. Our travels are up north so it suits us to be on that network which has one satellite above Sumatra so you need to point it north.

The phone was about $650 (ex mining issue stock and never used) with a hard case and charging adaptors.

I go with Pivotel for a casual plan which is $15/month with no contracts. set up fee for a sim card is $25.You get an Aussie mobile number and it's free for people to call you, send an sms or leave messages. The call out rate isn't high but I just phone the kids and get them to call me back. Once I'm home, I disconnect again.

They charge $25 connection each time I want to rejoin then network again and they send a new sim card so the number changes if you do it that way. But I figure having it switched off for 8 months of the year is fine and saves a few bucks.

I dealt with Sat Phone sales and they set up the account with Pivotel as well. I see that the Thuraya Lite is a lot dearer now than when I got mine.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Scrambler
          • Jul 2018
          • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by Garc View Post
          Looking at options to the expensive Telstra sat phone.

Any recommendations for or warnings against options?
          The other option I have considered is the SPOT service. This can be really basic or allow texts. Uses the same satelites as the Iridium so some of the same issues.

The even less communicative version is a modern emergency radio device - an EPIRB or PLB. At least that will give a location in an emergency.

Over the years Iridium has been a good option. It works in a lot of places though not everywhere in the world. The costs of using are lower in that it is essentially a sky-linked mobile phone, so can still talk with the phone network if you are in range - that's a lot cheaper than satelites.

The traditional option was /is HF with telephone capacity.
          =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
          =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Spot is too expensive.

I have a Gen3 which I used for 12 months but last year, when the new 12 month subscription came around, it had jumped to $250USD. That's $380/year in our dollars and for that, I'd prefer to buy a sat phone.

When I rang to cancel my Spot service, they offered as discount of $100USD which meant it came down to a more realistic $230AUD. Friends who have also got a Spot made the same call when they were due to renew and were offered the same discount so if you are using a Spot, call before you sign up. (They are in the USA so you need to call at night here).
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dean
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007

Just fiddling around with my 15 year old Iridium for an upcoming trip and googling alternative options.
              I'll stick with what I have, but if I was purchasing now I'd go for the one above, Thuraya and the $15 pivotel plan. I'd keep it connected given how cheap it is.
              For now though my brick and using my Telstra Sim works for me.
              Dean
              NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                Spot is too expensive.

I have a Gen3 which I used for 12 months but last year, when the new 12 month subscription came around, it had jumped to $250USD. That's $380/year in our dollars and for that, I'd prefer to buy a sat phone.

When I rang to cancel my Spot service, they offered as discount of $100USD which meant it came down to a more realistic $230AUD. Friends who have also got a Spot made the same call when they were due to renew and were offered the same discount so if you are using a Spot, call before you sign up. (They are in the USA so you need to call at night here).
                I did the same by email to Spot & was also offered a good discount, so well worth doing.

Note that Spot also offer a "flexible" plan where you only pay when you want the service available, eg, for a month, so this may be more cost effective for infrequent users who only need it for a few months of the year.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• mrbitchi
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

The biggest issue with sat-phones is the cost of the service. You can use a Telstra pre-paid sim and if you swap the one out of your normal phone that is a cheap way to go for the occasional trip.

Telstra used to have a $10 pre paid plan that was ideal for Iridium sat-phone use. Unfortunately they dropped that and the cheapest became $30. That has now also been dropped and the cheapest plan you can get is $50. That makes it a bit expensive to keep a sim in the sat-phone for semi regular use.

Any one know of any other plans that definitely work?
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                  Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

The $15/mth plan through Pivotel as mentioned in several posts in this thread works fine and is a good reason to consider Thuraya over Iridium.

Comment

• mrbitchi
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      The $15/mth plan through Pivotel as mentioned in several posts in this thread works fine and is a good reason to consider Thuraya over Iridium.
                      Fair point, but not much good when you already have an Iridium phone.
                      Cheers, John.
                      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• dean
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                        The biggest issue with sat-phones is the cost of the service. You can use a Telstra pre-paid sim and if you swap the one out of your normal phone that is a cheap way to go for the occasional trip.

Telstra used to have a $10 pre paid plan that was ideal for Iridium sat-phone use. Unfortunately they dropped that and the cheapest became $30. That has now also been dropped and the cheapest plan you can get is $50. That makes it a bit expensive to keep a sim in the sat-phone for semi regular use.

Any one know of any other plans that definitely work?
                        Mine was $10, then 20, then 25 and now 40 with a 12 month credit of $10=30pm.
                        I now get unlimited calls, 2gb and still free sms in the satphone.
                        It's called extra small plan or something like that.
                        Dean
                        NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• alanymarce
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Colombia

We've had an Iridium for about 20 years now. The Iridium coverage is best globally. Had it serviced prior to our big Australia trip and it's fine.

The cost of calls is high, however we consider it an emergency device, and hardly every use it. When we have used it, it's been for good reason (the last time we found lion tracks around the car in the morning - walking out would not have been a good deal (other than for the lions...).

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Are you guys saying that you put your standard mobile phone sim into the sat phone? If so I'm assuming it depends on who your service is through-can't just throw your povo aldi sim in or similar?

Comment

• dean
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                              Are you guys saying that you put your standard mobile phone sim into the sat phone? If so I'm assuming it depends on who your service is through-can't just throw your povo aldi sim in or similar?
                              That's correct. A post paid Telstra SIM works in an iridium satphone on the iridium network.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X