Below Nav Bar

Collapse

MMCS Head Unit Replacement (Rockford Fosgate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onsan
    • Aug 2019
    • Townsville

MMCS Head Unit Replacement (Rockford Fosgate)

After a bit of research I've settled on a headunit to replace the MMCS in our MY11 NW Platinum with the Rockford Fosgate Amp and SatNav.
    I'm running with a Kenwood DDX9019DABS, we will lose SatNav but with phone apps these days it seems hard to justify a $1,000 Nav package on top. The HU is around $850 at present. I'm hoping to leave the OEM GPS antenna in as I've seen a review that mentions the HU can utilise external antennas to assist mobile phone GPS reception.
    One of the major factors had been the ability to marry the HU up with a Kenwood dashcam (DRV-N520) that adds crash avoidance and lane departure to the HU. It's an additional $250 that will get added at a later date.

The Rockford Fosgate system requires the mito-02 interface to retain the amp, which I like and would rather not have to replace.
    I want to keep the factory reverse camera (I believe it's a CCD type?), and to do so need to convert power from 12V to 6.6V. Posted elsewhere on the forum was a link to DIY the voltage converter but for the sake of convenience I'm going to run with the APVTM01 adapter for $60.
    On the Aerpro website the automated system advises that I need a APP9KE7, however an email enquiry with Aerpro advised that I grab the APP8KE7 and the SWC patch lead, APUNISW2, but from what I understand I can cut and solder a couple of wires and plug directly to the HU and programme them in quite readily. Still, I think I will run with the APP9KE7 as for a few bucks more it has the leads to solder to the SWC.

I don't think I need the fascia cover as this seems to be for the systems without the double DIN screen, not entirely sure but I'll run with that for the moment and add it later if need be.

All up this is going to set me back around $1,180, not a drop in the ocean but the upgrade is a gift to the Mrs who loves the Paj but hates the HU, so it'll be going in early Dec for her B'day.
    I'll install the unit myself and curse myself for doing so after about 2hrs in, but it gives me a bit of time to study up and make sure I get it right before Dec rolls along.

If anyone has any experience or advice to offer, happy to hear before I make a mistake.

2011 NW Pajero Platinum
  • letsgoplaces
    • Jul 2014
    • Adelaide

That’s the same head unit I bought, you shouldn’t be disappointed
    The reverse camera was maintained, and while the mike for the handsfree couldn’t be used the new mike is quite unobtrusive behind the rear view mirror. And the hu ‘learns’ the swc, so you won’t need the adapter for that.
    It will be interesting to hear feedback of the dashcam when you install it.
    However I did pull out he amp and install 2 smaller ones to drive the Fosgate system.
    I have also replaced the splits in the back passenger doors as the factory ones couldn’t keep up
    The other thing I’m tossing up is the Advanced Ice add-on which will have Hema integrated along with street nav

Last edited by letsgoplaces; 16-10-19, 12:30 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

• Onsan
      • Aug 2019
      • Townsville

Legend! Thanks for the info.I was a bit puzzled about one site offering HEMA map add-ons, makes sense now. Seem a bit better value, maybe I'll reconsider down the track.

Do you remember if the fosgate amp had a separate sub input or if it just split from the F/R RCA's? I noticed that the mito-02 doesn't have a sub output, so I'm guessing it doesn't.
      2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• letsgoplaces
        • Jul 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Onsan View Post
        Legend! Thanks for the info.I was a bit puzzled about one site offering HEMA map add-ons, makes sense now. Seem a bit better value, maybe I'll reconsider down the track.

Do you remember if the fosgate amp had a separate sub input or if it just split from the F/R RCA's? I noticed that the mito-02 doesn't have a sub output, so I'm guessing it doesn't.
        Sorry mate, I didn't install it so can't tell you. It could be why it was suggested to install two smaller amps

Comment

• Onsan
          • Aug 2019
          • Townsville

No worries, cheers.

Today I learnt from Rockford Fosgate that the amp is designed by them but built by Mitsubishi.
          Trying to get a wiring diagram off them but don’t think I’ll have much luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• Onsan
            • Aug 2019
            • Townsville

So I've managed to install the HU, a few challenges along the way but otherwise doable.

Removing the fascia and trim was simple, the old unit came out easily.
            Wiring in the mito-02 was a bit more than plug and play, the ISO harness from aerpro is useless, don't bother with that one. The aerpro camera adapter was not plug and play either and had to be cut and soldered, but otherwise did the job.

The mito-02 had to have some of its inputs altered to function correctly.
            The constant power wire from the battery is too light a gauge as standard, yes it can run it but as draw and resistance increases, voltage will drop and this is not good for electronic equipment. Looking up some charts, the recommendation was 12AWG for 10-15A over 3m, and that is what appeared to be fitted to the new HU. The OEM wire appeared to be 16AWG, I could of run another wire from the fuse box in the engine bay but accessing the back of the fuse seemed to be PITA. Instead, I put a diode bridging the accessory wire which appears to be 12AWG and the 16AWG constant wire at the OEM molex harness. This provides ample supply by effectively using 2 wires, 12 & 16 AWG to carry the load. It does though allow current to be spread over two fuses, this means the HU would need to draw 25A before blowing a fuse, which is not great I suppose. Th diode prevented power from the constant battery feed flowing back to the accessory circuit.
            Doing some research on the mito-02 I'd found that some had been fried by the HU's drawing too much power over the constant power wire, and so was recommended to bypass the mito-02 with this feed. It was noted though that this had been rectified in the design, so I initially left it in. However, once installed I found the the HU wouldn't switch off with the ignition, so I removed the wire. Then it didn't switch on at all. So I jumpered the accessory input to the mito-02 over to the constant power feed, problem solved. The unit now had ample direct battery supply and switched off with accessories.
            Other wiring from the mito-02, park switch didn't work, so I ran that to ground direct from the HU, running a second front mounted camera feed drew too much power through the mito and resulted in a big voltage drop, tapping the camera supply direct into the accessory wire upstream of the mito solved this.
            I used the HU's SWC harness and wired it directly to the two signal wires and programmed it in, easy as and fully functional, I wouldn't bother with the aerpro harness.
            I used the OEM GPS antenna instead of the small one supplied with the HU, I had to swap out the plug over the insert so that it secured into the back of the unit, simple and effective. Both being kenwood antennas I was hoping they'd be compatible and it does appear to function as normal. Plus I avoided having to remove and fit the antennas so saved myself some extra work.
            Removing the passenger pillion cover and running the DAB antenna behind the airbag was surprisingly less daunting than expected. Unfortunately, I only realised later that we don't have any DAB stations in our area.
            I didn't purchase the facia kit from aerpro, after installing I see that I will need to so that it'll finish nicely around the screen.

All in all, it was a bit of a mission, some of which brought on by myself, but certainly achievable for a intermediate diy'er.
            New unit works a treat, pumps out some nice sound over the Rockford, the android and apple auto's make driving and navigating a breeze, and the handsfree audio is fantastic compared to the OEM which was feeding back and screeching for us.
            An expensive upgrade but in light of the now $1,000 fine for using mobiles while driving...likely to pay itself off and keep us safe.
            Down the track I'll install the facia and dashcam that provides the HU with crash avoidance alarms.

TLR
            • bypass constant power from the mito to the new HU
            • bridge accessory wire to constant supply input at mito
            • bridge accessory feed to constant power wire at OEM harness with diode
            • wire in camera voltage regulator directly
            • run park switch to ground
            • use HU cable and wire directly and learn SWC buttons
            • bypass mito for VSS, taking feed directly from OEM wire
            • install a relay activated by ACC feed wire to switch Green/Red wire on 18 pin OEM Molex to switch off RockFos Amp (stays on and drains battery, see below)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Onsan; 30-12-19, 04:36 PM.
            2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• Onsan
              • Aug 2019
              • Townsville

Had a couple of issues to sort.
              Battery was draining due to Amp not switching off, I found the green/red wire and the yellow wire in the 18 pin molex was sending power back into the unit when switched off.
              Installed a relay on the green/red (DSPD) wire using the ACC feed to the HU to activate it. Solved the issue, dropped from 1.2A down to 0.05.

Also, the speed sensor wire didn’t work through the mito, I bypassed this and spliced the HU sensor wire direct into the VSS wire feeding the mito, problem solved.

Last edited by Onsan; 30-12-19, 04:34 PM.
              2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• cbk
                • Feb 2011
                • Australia

Originally posted by Onsan View Post
                Had a couple of issues to sort.
                Battery was draining due to Amp not switching off, I found the green/red wire and the yellow wire in the 18 pin molex was sending power back into the unit when switched off.
                Installed a relay on the green/red (DSPD) wire using the ACC feed to the HU to activate it. Solved the issue, dropped from 1.2A down to 0.05.

Also, the speed sensor wire didn’t work through the mito, I bypassed this and spliced the HU sensor wire direct into the VSS wire feeding the mito, problem solved.

Looking at doing something very similar. Am hearing about issues with the Fosgate 12 speaker setup and it is not supported. How many speakers does your fosgate system have?

Comment

• Onsan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Townsville

12 speaker, 860W Rockford Fosgate.
                  2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• Steve879
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Canberra

Wow, great job, I have been thinking about doing to the same to my NW Activ, love the Rockford stereo, just can’t stand the MMCS. Last time I looked I cam up with about $700 worth of adapters to get the aftermarket unit to work, looks like a few of these aren’t required which is nice to know! A job I will get to some time. The wife is over driving it every day so first up is getting her a smaller car and then the Pajero will become a weekend vehicle and I can get some of these items like the stereo done.
                    2012 Pajero Activ.. ARB Bar, LED Driving ights, TJM Coils and Shocks, TJM Snorkel. Dominator winch. BFG KM2 265/70/17 Stedi Led fog lights and DRL's. Icom UHF.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by uphamglennn
                      If you have to replace an amp, here's a good store https://www.myamplifiers.com/en-au/ Good luck!
                      This site just lead me to an amplifier site for mobile phones . None of these would be legal in Australia either as their is no accreditation listed. First post by this chap...possibly scam.
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X