• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Hammer locks.

Jason I recall reading that hammerlocks are not to be used on vehicle safety chains.

Best check with your QLD transport authority.

Also some of the rated shackles supercheap sell are for lifting only and not for safety chains.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

ALL THE INFO YOU NEED

Caravan safety chains can be a confusing area of legislation. What's the legal route? Don't let caravan safety chains be your missing link
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Trailer couplings do uncouple when you least expect them to.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Scooby
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • Ipswich, Qld.

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        So I need to get some hammer locks, as I have two D shackles permanently attacked to the Pajero which I connect the trailer D shackles to. This makes it easier to connect the heavy chains of the horse float.

That is if I read this correctly and you are not allowed more than one shackle per chain.
        Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

It looks like Bruce was replying to someone, but that post seems to be missing

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
            So I need to get some hammer locks, as I have two D shackles permanently attacked to the Pajero which I connect the trailer D shackles to. This makes it easier to connect the heavy chains of the horse float.

That is if I read this correctly and you are not allowed more than one shackle per chain.
            Yeah maybe

Best of luck breaking a rated shackle either way

I did mate on Pajero, Hammerlocks permanent, better actually as they will pull straight in event of being required, loop in lieu of straight pin through hole in towbar.
            If that makes sense.

Triton ute same as you say, D-shackle to D-shackle.

Shackle hole on both Mitsubishi bars is like an after thought i reckon.

Reason as you say, easier.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Scooby
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • Ipswich, Qld.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              Yeah maybe

Best of luck breaking a rated shackle either way

I did mate on Pajero, Hammerlocks permanent, better actually as they will pull straight in event of being required, loop in lieu of straight pin through hole in towbar.
              If that makes sense.

Triton ute same as you say, D-shackle to D-shackle.

Shackle hole on both Mitsubishi bars is like an after thought i reckon.

Reason as you say, easier.
              What size hammer locks did you use on the Pajero?
              Did you get 10mm ones to fit?
              Is there any trouble connecting D shackles to them?
              I cannot see me breaking a shackle either but you can’t get in trouble if you do things to the letter of the law.
              Yep got the shits with MM the first time I had to hook the float up to those piddley little shackle holes and that is when I put a set in there permanently.
              Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                What size hammer locks did you use on the Pajero?
                Did you get 10mm ones to fit?
                Is there any trouble connecting D shackles to them?
                I cannot see me breaking a shackle either but you can’t get in trouble if you do things to the letter of the law.
                Yep got the shits with MM the first time I had to hook the float up to those piddley little shackle holes and that is when I put a set in there permanently.
                8mm just checked as i just took two sizes home from work & used the one that fitted

We sell them at work took both 8 & 10mm home.

No way 10mm would fit through genuine bar fitted to 2015 MY16, shackle hole.

Same W.L.L as my shackles actually, 2 tonne, just went laid on my back had look.

Looks big enough actually, dangling there.

My 2 Tonne shackles about 15mm pin, fits easy, no human stress required, hammerlock would take about 19mm pin i reckon, which is far bigger than i'll ever use.
                2 tonne shackles i have are way bigger than i actually require, came with trailer.

This one

Parkside Towbars offers towbars, bullbars, roof racks, caravan and towing accessories. Buy online or come in to one of our WA stores for a professional fitting

This shackle would fit no problems below & this shackle easily handle 6 tonne trailer me thinks with heaps of spare capacity, but everyone has differing opinions on that old chestnut

But this is only my understanding, which differs from others understandings.

Never considered the two shackle business though so there you go.

Parkside Towbars offers towbars, bullbars, roof racks, caravan and towing accessories. Buy online or come in to one of our WA stores for a professional fitting
                Last edited by Jasonmc73; 24-10-20, 11:14 PM.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X