• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevie-Ray
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Am I crazy?

As my NH shorty is proving a bigger project than planned, I've gone nuts & bought a '95 JDM 2.5TD rag-top. Cost me less than $1500, but there's a catch; a bad batch of diesel has made it a bit sick!

Apart from also having a split CV-boot & some of the usual 'wear-&-tear' for it's age & mileage (164,000Km), it's been regularly serviced & it's in pretty good nick with no evidence of body-damage, & those white alloys are unmarked!

Also, is it possible to have a sticky for JDM-info in the Gen2 section?

Steve
    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
  • Stimpy
    • Apr 2011
    • Brissy

I don't think you're crazy. I have a soft spot for the j-tops, and that one looks pretty neat...... even for a diesel

Comment

• oldbitz
      • Nov 2012
      • Gilgandra

Of course you are crazy ....you're a member of this forum aint ya.

That said what a handy little buy, a new filter and a good quality injector cleaner and it should be a fun toy
      93 NJ Exceed 99 MK Triton dual cab
      "So many tracks and too little money"

Rob

Comment

• nvmpaj
        • Jul 2010
        • New Zealand

Go real crazy and put a V8 in !

Comment

• MTN-KAT
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Gold Coast

Lucky you. A great find. Would look great with a custom made fibreglass canopy? Enjoy.
          99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • Maitland, NSW

Yeah you bat shit crazy haha
            Great buy though, i'd flush the tank and lines, then run some good stuff with cleaner through it and an oil change to start with.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
            97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Goodsy
              Who ya gunna call....
              • Dec 2010
              • Hervey Bay

Yes.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Peakhurst, Sydney

Update;
                Managed to drive the soft-top home from Northmead to Peakhurst, without being pulled over for blowing smoke (whitish), mainly as I avoided the main roads most of the way, but seemed to catch every red-light whenever I did arrive at a set!
                Full story (their's) is that they'd filled tank up with bad-fuel at Baulkham Hills, & it had trouble running, had a guy come & flush fuel-system, fiter, etc., & left a container of some additive (?) to keep putting in tank, but said fuel-pump was okay. Even before half way home, it was running a bit better, & even idling properly at some of the lights, but still felt like it wasn't running on all 4cyl.
                Will remove injectors & clean in ultra-sonic, drain some from tank, & replace fuel-filter, asap.

Fairly basic, but once running OK, I'll have a Paj to drive while working on the bigger project, the shorty with all the 'bells-&-whistles'.
                Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 14-02-13, 02:54 PM. Reason: corrections
                Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Peakhurst, Sydney

Update

Weather, funds & health permitting, I've fitted exchange recond. injectors, plus new oil & filter, but after some initial improvement it's still smoking. However, I've managed to narrow the problem down to leaking oil-seals in the turbo (works fine otherwise), so it'll go off to Tim at Injector-Express for exchange or rebuild, asap!
                  Steve

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Found out that the slop in turbo-spindle wasn't causing the worst of the smoke, & it was mainly unburnt diesel as I initially suspected, caused by this;

Swapped in a new rocker to pass rego, but will replace rocker-assembly & timing-belt before I fit upgrade turbo.
                    Also fitted catch-can using larger hose & fittings to match original breather-hose, intentionally not fitting hose-clamps as hoses are snug-fits & if they blow-off it'll mean there's a problem anyway (& yes I know it needs a 2nd bolt tho it doesn't move atm );

While I had intercooler off, straightened all the bent fins (using tooth-picks) where it looked like someone had used it as a tool-tray (will spray a coat of paint on it asap);
                    Steve

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Peakhurst, Sydney

After trouble starting J-top this week, yesterday discovered that someone had disconnected the glow-plug control-unit (yrs ago going by the tape around the connector) but by then battery was low, but thankfully it started 1st time this morning after charging battery overnight.
                      However, I'm also wondering whether the diesel fuel has gone 'off' a bit as it had a full tank when I bought it back in Jan. & couldn't drive it for a while until the smoking problem had been sorted, so still has half a tank. Will see if it improves once it's topped up with Vortex-diesel.
                      Steve

Comment

• schnitzel
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • Bendigo

The diesel wont have gone off per se, what will have happened though is the summer mix will have released the parrafin wax due to the cold and this will have made the diesel thicker and more difficult to start.

Winter mix fuel is now in the servos so fill it up and it should be fine.
                        Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Bernoulli
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Oregon, USA

I like SWBs (I've had 5), but I've never even ridden in a J-Top. How noisy is it compared to the regular SWBs?

Maybe I'm just sensitive, but my headers and tuned exhaust limit my speed to 110 - way too noisy after that.
                          89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
                            The diesel wont have gone off per se, what will have happened though is the summer mix will have released the parrafin wax due to the cold and this will have made the diesel thicker and more difficult to start.

Winter mix fuel is now in the servos so fill it up and it should be fine.
                            Thanks for that useful info. With charged battery, started almost straight-away, but went & topped up with Vortex-diesel anyway.

Originally posted by Bernoulli View Post
                            I like SWBs (I've had 5), but I've never even ridden in a J-Top. How noisy is it compared to the regular SWBs?

Maybe I'm just sensitive, but my headers and tuned exhaust limit my speed to 110 - way too noisy after that.
                            Like driving with the windows open, & it sounds like you're under a large umbrella when it rains, but it's the diesel that makes it noisier!
                            Still not as noisy as the 1310cc Cooper S powered Mini Clubman project I built, especially up over 160kmph. The straight-through exhaust, extractors, rally-cam, twin 1.5" SUs & ram-flo filters may have had something to do with it!
                            Steve

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X