• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alistair
    • Apr 2013
    • Dunsborough WA

First 4x4

Hi Everbody!

I'm looking at getting my first 4x4, i've got 6k top to spend. I've got my eye on an 1987 Pajero wagon 2.5 diesel with 302k km on the clock. I haven't yet checked it out but from the pic's it looks like it is in good con. Its had regular service with the last service being 7months ago.

I'm worried about the high km but i've done some research and have heard that these engines are built to last with a bit of care.

what are your thoughts guys?
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Alistair,
    An 87 NE Pajero was about $30,000 new. 300,000 km over 25 years is about 12,000 km a year so this is low mileage. In excellent condition with receipts it is worth about $3000. These Gen 1 Pajeros with the 74 kW / 183? kW, 4D56 Diesel engines are are great first 4wd and very capable , the current version of the 4D56 2.5lt is used in the latest Triton and Challengers and is now producing 131kW and 400Nm so the base engine is very strong. Remember gearbox, transfer case, diff's, axle's, suspension may have been replaced but the body, chassis and wiring is still 25 years old.

All old 4wds require regular maintenance but unfortunately parts are harder to get and small jobs tend to develope into big jobs quickly so repair bills can easily exceed the value of the car. If you can and like working on cars, have alternative transport and spare time these 4wds can be great fun to own and drive but if you are not in the above category then they are a liability and money pit.

For the same sort of money or slightly more the Gen 2 Diesel Pajero with less kms are a quantum leap forward in comfort and finish, look for low mileage, well maintained with receipts, stock or any slightly modified cars that has had an ease life (normally 1 or 2 owners only as these tend to be better maintained than a 10 owner car) with no or light towing and off road work.

cheers, old Jack.
    Last edited by old Jack; 17-04-13, 07:20 AM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• awbeattie381
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Inner West, Sydney

For 6 grand you could get a mint low mileage (low-mid 200s) Gen 1 for around the 4-5k mark. I have seen a few recently. You would then have 1-2k to spend on mods.

Alternatively as hasbeen suggested, you could find a mid 90s NH maybe NJ/NL Pajero for about 6k.

300k on a diesel isnt too bad assuming its been well maintained. If the last service was 7 months ago its probably overdue for a service. Oil should be changed every 5k or 6 months which ever comes first. The 2.5 litre motors are ok however the newer 2.8 litre diesel in the gen 2 are a lot more driveable.

I guess it depends on whether you are set on a gen 1 or not and what mods you are planning to do (how much left over cash you need).

Here is an import model with only 140k on the clock. Even more features than the aussie spec superwagon

Here is an NL although out of rego

Andrew
      1989 NG Superwagon V6
      2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
      1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Comment

• Alistair
        • Apr 2013
        • Dunsborough WA

Thanks.

Thanks for your advice guys, its made me stop and really think about purchasing it as I don't have much mechanical know how. I really fell in love with the old box look it has.

I'll still go check it out but I'll go through the receipts and service history throughly.

Thanks again, i'll let you know when i've got myself a Pajero. I've got my heart set on one.

Comment

• chriso of penrith
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2013
          • emu plains

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
          Hi Everbody!

I'm looking at getting my first 4x4, i've got 6k top to spend. I've got my eye on an 1987 Pajero wagon 2.5 diesel with 302k km on the clock. I haven't yet checked it out but from the pic's it looks like it is in good con. Its had regular service with the last service being 7months ago.

I'm worried about the high km but i've done some research and have heard that these engines are built to last with a bit of care.

what are your thoughts guys?
          You can get a lot newer pajeros for 6k

Comment

• Bernoulli
            • Jun 2007
            • Oregon, USA

If you really prefer the box shape (I do!), look for an import. It will have a better transmission, suspension, brakes and an intercooler. You'll have to spend some on it, but a lot of the running gear can be upgraded to Gen2. If you can find one with a blown engine, you can upgrade that as well.
            89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• awbeattie381
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Inner West, Sydney

Originally posted by Bernoulli View Post
              If you really prefer the box shape (I do!), look for an import. It will have a better transmission, suspension, brakes and an intercooler. You'll have to spend some on it, but a lot of the running gear can be upgraded to Gen2. If you can find one with a blown engine, you can upgrade that as well.
              Correct me if I am wrong but I would have thought the transmission will be the same as will the suspension (assuming we are talking NF/NG). as far as brakes go yes it will probably have discs on the rear. The beauty of imports is they are generally low kays and have more 'luxury' features than aussie spec models.
              Andrew
              1989 NG Superwagon V6
              2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
              1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Comment

• Bernoulli
                • Jun 2007
                • Oregon, USA

I had an '88 import. It had the discs in the rear as well as a later model, heavier duty transmission. My mechanic pronounced it as far better than the domestic model.
                89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X