• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gen1pajero
    • Jan 2012
    • N.Z.

Diff locker options???

Hi there,

I have a 1990 Gen1 SWB 3.0L petrol model. Im looking at getting a rear locker but need some direction... what brands/part numbers etc are there out there?

Thanks
  • xrrob
    • May 2011
    • Abermain NSW

I have a ARB Air locker in my 3.0l SWB NK
    3.0L 97NK SWB. 2"Body Lift,Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers, ARB Air Compressor,Front & Rear Diff Breathers Under Bonnet, Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs, ARB Steel Winch Bar & 9500lbs Winch, Tyres 265/75 R16 BF Goodrich Mud T/A KM2, UHF, 2" Suspension lift,Koni Adjustable Shocks,Lovells Coil Springs,New Torsion Bars,PolyAir Bags, Tinted Windows, Snorkel,Rock Sliders with Side Rails, Piranha DBE180S Dual BatterySystem,Drifta Rear Draws Installed, 27 Watt LED Rear Light, LightForce Genesis,32"LED Light Bar.

Comment

• gen1pajero
      • Jan 2012
      • N.Z.

Thanks, do you have a 8" 10 bolt rear diff? Also where abouts did you get it from? im in NZ and am having trouble trying to source any ARB stuff.

Cheers

Comment

• bakerboy
        "valued 3000+ member"
        • May 2008
        • Perth

Would of thought you had the 9" rear diff as its the V6
        If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Barneymutt
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Regents Park. Qld

This is ARB's application list. Mitsi is about half way down the list.
          I don't know who else does a rear locker for Pajero except China.

Comment

• bakerboy
            "valued 3000+ member"
            • May 2008
            • Perth

If you reckon you have the 8" rear though, try this

personally i think you would have the 9" though
            If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• NF/NG_Pajero_wa
              • May 2011
              • Mukinbudin W.A

hi guy's
              yes all gen1 3.0v6's LWB & SWB have 9" rear diff with coils and 8" front diff
              the gen2 like xrrob has uses a bigger 9.5 inch rear diff with a wider track than the gen1 3.0v6 and you can get a rear air lokka for them from factory & arb from the info i have found
              you can get arb air lokka to suit gen1 8" front diff here is a copy of listing for gen1&2

ARB list
              Montero, Raider,Front 1989 on IFS, 28 spline, 8.00" RG 28.8 (1.13") 28 All RD1104
              Pajero, Delica (van) ,1984-97 IFS, 25 spline, 7.25" RG 25 All NA
              Shogun Rear 1983-86 8.00" 10 bolt RG1 30.5 (1.20") 28 All RD05
              1987-95 9.00" 12 bolt RG2 30.5 (1.20") 28 All RD463
              1993-00 3.5L & 2.8TDI, NJ,NK,NL, 9.5" RG, live axle 33.6 (1.32") 31 All RD154
              http://www.arb.com.au/media/products...tion_chart.pdf
              i am looking into doing this myself in the future when funds allow and fit a gen2 rear complete with the rear disk brakes and the stronger gen2 rear control arms preferably with factory diff lock option if i can get one at that time but that's a way off at the moment

in the mean time a mate has got a 8" rear lsd that i plan to try and fit the internals into the front diff center keeping my own crown & pinion so as not to change ratio's i have heard of this being done in the US on 4x4wire
              the front diff will then be better than the std front diff and will cost me very little to do myself just time and one of my spare front diff's
              if i had to pay someone to do this it wouldn't be worth the cost it would be better to wait for the air lokka to save spending the money on a front diff rebuild twice

also some more info if you have the v6 auto the front cv's are not as strong as they are in the manual so when you need to replace then i would get the manual cv's i have yet to remove the auto cv's to compare with the one's from the manual
              i found this on 4x4wire just can't find the link to it i guess genuine part numbers would tell if it's true
              Last edited by NF/NG_Pajero_wa; 07-06-12, 02:43 PM.
              94 NJ Paj LWB 5spd, 2in king springs,torsion bars wound up & droop stops trimmed, alloy bullbar & side steps,full length steel roof rack ,Rally 1000's, 170 night stalkers h/light upgrade h4 replacement globes 55/100, rear work lights, Sony head unit, Uniden 40ch UHF, GME 80ch UHF, 27mhz AM SSB CB, 33' BFG a/t's on 15' 60ser L/Cruiser chrome rims, Snorkel rebuilt motor g/box & rear diff with auto lokka lot more to come

Comment

• xrrob
                • May 2011
                • Abermain NSW

Originally posted by gen1pajero View Post
                Thanks, do you have a 8" 10 bolt rear diff? Also where abouts did you get it from? im in NZ and am having trouble trying to source any ARB stuff.

Cheers

9.5" I think.
                Got mine from opposite lock in Newcastle NSW.
                3.0L 97NK SWB. 2"Body Lift,Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers, ARB Air Compressor,Front & Rear Diff Breathers Under Bonnet, Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs, ARB Steel Winch Bar & 9500lbs Winch, Tyres 265/75 R16 BF Goodrich Mud T/A KM2, UHF, 2" Suspension lift,Koni Adjustable Shocks,Lovells Coil Springs,New Torsion Bars,PolyAir Bags, Tinted Windows, Snorkel,Rock Sliders with Side Rails, Piranha DBE180S Dual BatterySystem,Drifta Rear Draws Installed, 27 Watt LED Rear Light, LightForce Genesis,32"LED Light Bar.

Comment

• gen1pajero
                  • Jan 2012
                  • N.Z.

In the rear of mine im pretty sure its an 8" as it only has a 10 bolt set up rather than the 12... il have to take apart and measure it up sometime soon

Comment

• Barneymutt
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Regents Park. Qld

I think you'll find the number of bolts referred to is the number that hold the ring gear on, not the carrier assy. I could be wrong tho.

Comment

• NF/NG_Pajero_wa
                      • May 2011
                      • Mukinbudin W.A

Originally posted by Barneymutt View Post
                      I think you'll find the number of bolts referred to is the number that hold the ring gear on, not the carrier assy. I could be wrong tho.
                      yeah i'm positive it not the housing bolts but the crown wheel bolts you can count them once diff center is removed

it should have the 9" diff coil rear as this was the only rear diff and suspension set up that Mitsubishi used on the gen1 v6 if it has coil rear suspension it is the 9" diff with the 12 bolt center if it has leaf spring rear it's the 8" diff ok just look up the info

Pajero tech data base in the general info section of the forum has the info that should help you identify your diff's

here is the link

Axle Data

Gen 1

2.6, 2.3TD, 2.5TD & 2.5TDI (some) :-
                      front axle = 25 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 7.25" diameter (low pinion)
                      front axle = 28 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 7.25" diameter (low pinion from an L300)
                      rear axle = 28 spline, 30.5mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter
                      3.0V6 :-
                      front axle = 28 spline, 29mm diameter, diff = 8" diameter (low pinion)
                      rear axle = 28 spline, 30.5mm diameter, diff = 9" diameter

got this from the link above it also has the rest of the drive line info too just have a look

hope this helps
                      94 NJ Paj LWB 5spd, 2in king springs,torsion bars wound up & droop stops trimmed, alloy bullbar & side steps,full length steel roof rack ,Rally 1000's, 170 night stalkers h/light upgrade h4 replacement globes 55/100, rear work lights, Sony head unit, Uniden 40ch UHF, GME 80ch UHF, 27mhz AM SSB CB, 33' BFG a/t's on 15' 60ser L/Cruiser chrome rims, Snorkel rebuilt motor g/box & rear diff with auto lokka lot more to come

Comment

• gen1pajero
                        • Jan 2012
                        • N.Z.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

• 10troym
                          • Jun 2012
                          • Maroochydore , Qld

whats the diff

Is the info / specifications above only related to the manual? also can a manual front diff from NF V6 be put in to an auto? can get one cheap!
                          89 pajero v6 auto with more money spent on upgrades than it cost to purchase!!! ARB bullbar, EFS front and rear 2 inch suspension lift, 265/75r16 M/T's, sports exhaust, UHF, rhino racks with full length luggage carrier.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X