• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fang
    • Aug 2010
    • Brisbane

NL Pajero Rear Seat Folding Woes

Normally car seat folding is not an isuse fo rme. I operate them simply enough in rental cars, etc. But my NL Pajero Escape (that I just bought) is really testing my patience.

All I want to do is fold the rear seats (not the dicky seats - forget those) totally up. Behold my pictures -:

The manual says have the seat as far back as possible. (the arrow shows how I think the seat should fold(?!))

In this position, I should pull the tabs (circled in red) up and then whole seat should lift. There in lies the problem. No matter how much I pull the tabs (they do seem to move), the seat will not lift.

Any insights anyone could give would be much appreciated. Ideally, I would really like to be able fit the split/fold seats :-/
    1999 Mitsubishi Pajero NL Escape 3.5 litre, 5 speed
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

I have exactly the same problem in my NP.
    The large levers on the side/ends of the seat base are spring loaded, and when lifted will allow you to lift the seat base vertically.

My single seat works fine, BUT the spring appears to have come off, or broken in the 2seater, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to get under the seat base and release the catch without using that lever.

Do either of the levers on your seats have spring tension on them ?
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• tomwithannl
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Hi Fang, Lance
      Mine is a GLS with the split seats but looks similar in design.
      To fold and roll I have to start with the seats in the normal upright position, then pull the knob next to the headrest and the back of the seat folds down and the base rolls forward and up in one movement. The lever on the side only allows tilt adjust and the back to fold forward. Mine does not have the tabs at the base of the seat back, it is all done via the knob. Note with mine if the seat back is folded down with the lever the base will not roll even if you use the knob. You must start with the seat up.
      Having said all that the one piece seats may be totally different.
      Just trying to help.
      Tom
      Last edited by tomwithannl; 25-09-10, 02:54 PM.
      1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
      1953 Morris Minor ute
      1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
      2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Gooday Tom.
        You solved my problem, hopefully that works for Fang as well.

I was told by the bloke I bought the NP from that that lower lever lifted the Rr seat.
        Sounds like I misunderstood him.
        The small lever near the headrest does both actions.

Thanks mate.
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Fang
          • Aug 2010
          • Brisbane

Thanks for the replies Lance and Tom. I will have to try it again tomororow. I have loaded up the car for a day's outing. I am really going to have to look at investigating the possibliity of putting split fold rear seats in. I haven't had a car fold seats like this since my Datsun 120Y

I'm liking most things in the Pajero so far though - just want the seats sorted. Thanks again - Geoff

Comment

• MTN-KAT
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Gold Coast

Hi Fang, Congrats on buying a good model. I have the same model, color and interior! This rear seat folding issue stumped me too. Until I examined underneath the rear seat and found two metal hooks that secure the seat down and they do hang on!! So, you have the back of the seat folded correctly and you do pull one of the tabs BUT as you do so, lean down on the rear of the rear seat, just above the tab will do, THEN pull tab. This will release the "GRIP" of the metal hook, and pulling the tab just pulls the hook out from the bar that it almost wraps around, and up it tilts and slides towards the front seats. Real easy when we know how. Won't find this tip in the manual. Happy motoring. Cheers
            99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Fang
              • Aug 2010
              • Brisbane

First up, apologies for my delayed reply Thanks for your reply MTN-KAT. I am happy with it so far. The paint on the bonnet has faded a bit - but other than that it is all good. My aunt bought it brand new and sold it to my parents.. and now I have it. So it is not in bad nick

I am going to try your suggestion soon. I suspect they have never been folded. It has to be something as simple as you suggest. It did make me swear for 15 minutes though

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X