• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTBenny
    • May 2017
    • Newcastle

Axle Weight Calculation Spreadsheet

All,

I’ve had a few spare hours recently and thought I’d create a spreadsheet that enables people to calculate their axles weights when additional loads such as tow ball, cargo area and passengers are being added to their car. This spreadsheet was designed to utilise the information previously provided by OJ and Mundy 55 in the below linked threads. I also completed measurements on a certified weighbridge to determine how front and rear passengers affect axle weights. To enable the spreadsheet to work you must populate the data in the orange and yellow cells. All other cells have been locked to prevent inadvertent changes being made that could prevent the spreadsheet from operating correctly. If the data entered results in the maximum OEM weights being exceeded cells F16,17,19 & 20 will turn red advising of this condition.

Note: The figures currently populating the orange cells are LWB Pajero specific. These should only need changing if you are using the spreadsheet for a different type of vehicle. The front and rear weights in cells B17 and B18 are from my vehicle last weekend on the weighbridge.

I hope this comes in handy for others. If anyone can see any issues with the spreadsheet then please let me know and I can correct the errors.

Finally I’d like to thank OJ for checking my work and providing feedback on formatting etc.

Regards,

Benny
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NTBenny; 21-10-18, 09:35 AM.
    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Nice work Benny. If your formulas are correct I'm just within my limits each time I load up to go away.....gotta be happy with that!
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

Hi Onslow,

The formulas are based on what Mundy 55 posted in the linked threads. I also had OJ cast his eye over the spreadsheet so hopefully all is correct.

Would be great to incorporate the use of a WDH somewhere but I'm not smart enough to figure that one out.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

Awesome. Thanks for putting in the effort
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• dhula
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • South of Perth

Like your work

If me and my mrs hop in the front of your car with nothing else in it, we make the front axle weight turn red, guess we must be FHCE's
          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• miniyazz
            • Jul 2018
            • Alice Springs

Great job NTBenny.

Does anyone know how heavy the rear (3rd) row of seats are in the Pajero? I read somewhere the middle row are each around 40/60kg single/double but I expect the third row of seats is somewhat lighter.

Really I'm trying to calculate how heavy duty my rear suspension needs to be so if anyone has weighbridge figures for the the rear axle in a (near as) stock car (unlikely on this forum!) that would be very helpful!

My best calculations so far for my 2016 GLX5 NX, with assistance from this spreadsheet:
            Front:
            1) ARB steel bullbar ~80kg
            2) Warn Tabor 10k winch + steel cable - 40.4kg
            3) Twin spotlights and 22" light bar, harness etc ~15kg
            4) BushSkinz intercooler/sump plates 4mm - 17kg

Central (ish):
            5) Rhino-Rack Pioneer SX full length alloy roof rack - 25kg
            6) 5m 0AWG cable ~2.5kg
            7) Transmission/transfer case Boo's bash plates 3mm - 16kg
            8) Boo's bash plates fuel tank guard - 18kg

Rear:
            9) -Rear seats - ~35kg
            10) 60L King's Fridge - 22.5kg
            11) Second battery + charger - ~35kg
            12) Recovery gear - ~20kg
            13) Boo's rear bumper guard - 12kg

Weights checked prior to fitting 7,8,13 - front axle 1255kg no people, rear axle 1220kg no people, and with half a tank of fuel.

1 700mm forward of front axle (80kg => f100kg r-20kg)
            2,3 800mm forward of front axle (55.5kg => f71.5kg r-16kg)
            4 300mm forward of front axle (17kg => f18.8kg r-1.8kg)
            5,6,8 estimated 40/60 f/r (45.5kg => f18.2kg r27.3kg)
            7 estimated 70/30 f/r (16kg => f11.2kg r4.8kg)
            10 300mm over rear axle (22.5kg => f-2.4kg, r24.9kg)
            9,11,12 700mm behind rear axle (20kg => f-5kg r25kg)
            13 800mm behind rear axle (12kg => f-3.5kg r15.5kg)
            Giving a grand total of approximately 208.8kg extra on the front and 59.7kg extra in the rear (over stock), which at least reassures me that the heavy duty '100-300kg' rear payload springs/shocks are probably the right choice..

With regards to my axle weights, I am ok with a full tank of fuel as long as it's basically only me in the front of the car! However, if I added for example the 70kg Titan rear shelves I could allow myself a tiny 40kg front passenger (I am only around 65kg myself) - I do find the front axle rating a little stingy . I suppose if I load it up with some baggage for a trip this might tip me into managing a more normal-sized front passenger and I have almost 350kg payload remaining after all the above added weight + rear drawers + a full tank of fuel + myself (but no passengers) which is still a decent amount!

I know you are using the latest figures but it might be worth mentioning that the allowable weights are significantly lower for the older Pajeros.
            Last edited by miniyazz; 23-10-18, 08:08 PM. Reason: Updated with measured distances

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by miniyazz View Post
              Great job NTBenny.

Does anyone know how heavy the rear (3rd) row of seats are in the Pajero? I read somewhere the middle row are each around 40/60kg single/double but I expect the third row of seats is somewhat lighter.

Really I'm trying to calculate how heavy duty my rear suspension needs to be so if anyone has weighbridge figures for the the rear axle in a (near as) stock car (unlikely on this forum!) that would be very helpful!

Giving a grand total of approximately 195.4kg extra on the front and 67.9kg extra in the rear (over stock), which at least reassures me that the heavy duty '100-300kg' rear payload springs/shocks are probably the right choice..

With regards to my axle weights, I am ok with a full tank of fuel as long as it's basically only me in the front of the car! However, if I added for example the 70kg Titan rear shelves I could allow myself a tiny 48kg front passenger (I am only around 65kg myself) - I do find the front axle rating a little stingy . I suppose if I load it up with some baggage for a trip this might tip me into managing a more normal-sized front passenger and I have almost 350kg payload remaining after all the above added weight + rear drawers + a full tank of fuel + myself (but no passengers) which is still a decent amount!

I know you are using the latest figures but it might be worth mentioning that the allowable weights are significantly lower for the older Pajeros.
              Yes you do have a "nose heavy" Pajero, but so will everyone else that has a steel bar, winch etc. Good news is as you load up the rear cargo area, apply a towball load and load up the rear seat, the weight transfer will relieve some of the load off the front axle.

What amazes me is people are unaware of the weight transfer off the rear axle and onto the front axle when fitting accessories forward of the front axle, the same people also fail to understand why they should be running higher front tyre pressures than rear when unloaded, but are more than happy to increase the rear tyre pressures once rear axle loads are increased.

Major problem with the IRS is that once you apply 300-500kg of extra load onto the rear axle the rear wheel alignment can change substantially and cause rapid tyre wear on the inner edges of the rear tyres.

I checked NT Benny's V7 worksheet last night and found a small problem, I have emailed him so hopefully he will correct it and post V8.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTBenny
                • May 2017
                • Newcastle

Thanks OJ. I've updated the spreadsheet which is now Ver 9 in the original post.

Benny.

Comment

• Pushbike
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Sydney

Thanks Benny,
                  I've appended your email to the spreadsheet as a user guide. Haven't got my head around what this all means yet but by all accounts your work should be very useful in my future.
                  Again thanks.
                  Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                  Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• NTBenny
                    • May 2017
                    • Newcastle

Thanks. I looked on the web for calculation tools but most seem tailored to trucks etc. I thought I might fill my time with using the information already here and design something that might be useful to forum members. It's very interesting to see how much extra load is taken by the rear axle when attaching a trailer and loading our cars.

Benny.

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Useful tool

Thanks for posting

What model spec and accessories are included in reaching kerb weight of 2.5T
                      An NT Diesel Auto GLX has a kerb weight of 2273kg. Reference http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/M...ons_200812.pdf

Hill
                      Last edited by Hill; 22-10-18, 01:30 PM.
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• NTBenny
                        • May 2017
                        • Newcastle

My signature is probably a good indication of what my Paj is carrying. I'm only running the intercooler and sump bash plates at this stage. Plus about 35kgs of recovery gear in the rear seat well. Also includes a full tank of fuel.

Benny.

Comment

• miniyazz
                          • Jul 2018
                          • Alice Springs

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                          Useful tool

Thanks for posting

What model spec and accessories are included in reaching kerb weight of 2.5T
                          An NT Diesel Auto GLX has a kerb weight of 2273kg. Reference http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/M...ons_200812.pdf

Hill
                          Mine is 25kg under (if it had been a full tank of fuel, more like 20kg over) 2.5T (NX GLX, kerb weight 2255kg) with the below accessories, and also light truck tyres on 17" rims:

Front:
                          1) ARB steel bullbar ~80kg
                          2) Warn Tabor 10k winch + steel cable - 40.4kg
                          3) Twin spotlights and 22" light bar, harness etc ~15kg
                          4) BushSkinz intercooler/sump plates 4mm - 17kg

Central (ish):
                          5) Rhino-Rack Pioneer SX full length alloy roof rack - 25kg
                          6) 5m 0AWG cable ~2.5kg

Rear:
                          9) -Rear seats - ~35kg
                          10) 60L King's Fridge - 22.5kg
                          11) Second battery + charger - ~35kg
                          12) Recovery gear - ~20kg
                          In fact after running the numbers that suggests I have slightly underestimated some of my accessories' weights - it adds up to 2477.5kg. That's not too far out though, and is probably partly explained by the unsprung added tyre weight which I had ignored due to worrying more about suspension loading.
                          Last edited by miniyazz; 23-10-18, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Hill
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • Adelaide

Miniyazz

Thanks for posting. I've also started adding up additional weight. Kerb eight from MM should include a full tank of fuel.

Must admit I forgot to add cabling for 2x Anderson etc.

Hill

PS Dicky seats are around 35kg
                            200 Series
                            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• miniyazz
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Alice Springs

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                              Miniyazz

Thanks for posting. I've also started adding up additional weight. Kerb eight from MM should include a full tank of fuel.

Must admit I forgot to add cabling for 2x Anderson etc.

Hill

PS Dicky seats are around 35kg
                              Nice one thanks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X