• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrisMatt
    • Sep 2019
    • Brisbane

New wheels

I was wondering what is the largest tyres or rims people have on their Gen 2 Pajero's? I have the standard 235 75R15's but am looking at some 235 85R16's which is just under 32 inches. This car does not go offroad or tow, I am just looking at reducing the rev's a bit with all the high speed roads I have out my way plus a bit of a road trip planned.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by BrisMatt View Post
    I was wondering what is the largest tyres or rims people have on their Gen 2 Pajero's? I have the standard 235 75R15's but am looking at some 235 85R16's which is just under 32 inches. This car does not go offroad or tow, I am just looking at reducing the rev's a bit with all the high speed roads I have out my way plus a bit of a road trip planned.
    Your other post indicates you have a 2.5 NH, so you don't have the "factory body lift" that came with some engines later in the Gen 2's run.

Your standard 235s on 15" rims are roughly 29" in diameter, and your proposed replacement is (as you noted) roughly 32" - so you're talking about a 10% increase in final drive ratio. Yes, it will reduce your engine revs at highway speeds, but also make your engine work harder from a standing start.

In terms of clearance, you could be pushing the envelope. I installed a body lift on my NJ 3 litre, to make room for 285/75R16 - so taller and wider than you're proposing.

It's generally accepted that 31 x 10.5 will fit your NH without trouble, you're looking at 32 x 9.5 - taller, but narrower. Whether or not you have clearance issues could come down to the rims you choose. I recommend trying for something in the +10 to zero offset range - something the factory 16" alloys from later Gen 2s, with a +10 offset, would be a good place to start.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BrisMatt
      • Sep 2019
      • Brisbane

thanks nj, I will look out for those rims
      Did you have the 235 75R15's on your NJ originally and if so did you notice
      reduced rev's at highway speeds with 31 inch wheels?
      what is your Pajero revving at 100km/hr?

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Did you have the 235 75R15's on your NJ originally and if so did you notice reduced rev's at highway speeds with 31 inch wheels?
        what is your Pajero revving at 100km/hr?
        Mine was a GLS, which came with 265/70R15, nominally 30". First tyre swap I fitted 31 x 10.5, and ran them for a few years before the body lift and 33s.

I don't recall revs from factory configuration, but I do remember that with the 33s I was turning around 2700rpm at 100km/h. Remembering that I have 4.875:1 diff ratios, where you might have 5.29:1.

Edit: looking at the Tech Data Base here, you probably have 4.875:1. Do you have the intercooled or non-intercooled engine?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BrisMatt
          • Sep 2019
          • Brisbane

I have 4.875 and an intercooler.

Thats good, I am currently over 3000 rev's for a large part of my day to day driving and bringing it down to around 2800 would be good. I need new tyres soon anyway and Im sure a set a old rims wont be too pricey.

Thanks
          Matt.

Comment

• BrisMatt
            • Sep 2019
            • Brisbane

rear seats

without starting a new thread, do you know if the 3rd row seats from an NL will fit into a NH? my seats need replacement and some NL's had head rests.

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

without starting a new thread, do you know if the 3rd row seats from an NL will fit into a NH? my seats need replacement and some NL's had head rests.

if you have 3rd row seats already I believe they should fit.

The best option to decrease revs at speed is going to be a pair of diffs from a 3.0 petrol (often come in 6.25) but you will loose a bit of power this way.

Larger diameter tires will also help but with the same downside....

What ever you do you are likely to lose economy by needing to use more right foot at lower speeds - if you spend a large amount of time on the open road at hiway speed this wont be so bad but if you do a lot of mixed driving the current gearing is probably best for economy/power etc....
              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Crankshaft Culture
                • Sep 2019
                • Portland, OR USA

I've run 33x10.50R15, 285/75/16, and 255/80R16 on my Pajeros (all about 33" tall). They will fit without rubbing on a SWB 2.5TD.

They were mounted on 15x8 and 16x8 wheels, respectively.

Comment

• BrisMatt
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Brisbane

Do you know what the offset of the rims you used was Crankshaft Culture?

Comment

• Crankshaft Culture
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Portland, OR USA

Do you know what the offset of the rims you used was Crankshaft Culture?
                    I ran -19 offset on my 15x8s with 33x10.50s.

I currently run a 0 offset with 255/85/16 on 16x8.

No rubbing (even when I was stock).

Comment

• BrisMatt
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Brisbane

I have found some Patrol GU rims and wheels. They are 235x85x16's on 16x6 rims with a 35 offset. I currently have 235/75/15's

Looking at https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mitsubishi/pajero/1993/ it appears that 6 inch pajero rims have a 33mm offset, 6.5 inch rims a 20mm offset and 7&8 inch rims a 10mm offset.

So the tyre remains the same width, the wheel remains the same width and the offset appears to be only 2mm difference, that seems ok doesnt it?

The centre bore of the patrol is 110 vs 107.1 of the pajero but that should be fine as it is a steel rim.

What do you think?

Comment

• pharb
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Tyers,Vic

My NJ 2.8TDI had 235/85r16s on it when I bought it 200,000km ago. Mounted on 16x6" generic Jap rims that were fitted from the factory to Tritons and Rodeos in the '90s.

Never even contemplated having an issue with scrubbing.

I don't know the offset of the top of my head.

I would suggest your 16x6 GU rims should fine. I expect they would be very little offset, unlike the wider GU rims that would have significant offset to fill the big flares.
                        PCOV Member 1107.
                        Daily driver NX GLX
                        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• BrisMatt
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Brisbane

on a side note it appears car manufacturers increase the offset as the wheel gets skinnier so that the inside line of the wheel is approx the same distance from the car no matter the width of the wheel.

another example is a GU Patrol. 16x8 rims have a 10mm offset and 16x6 rims have a 35mm offset. This would make the inside of the rim of an 8 inch sit 4 inches + 10mm (111.6mm) and the 6 inch 3 inches + 35mm (111.2mm) in from the hub face.

Comment

• pharb
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Tyers,Vic

on a side note it appears car manufacturers increase the offset as the wheel gets skinnier so that the inside line of the wheel is approx the same distance from the car no matter the width of the wheel.

another example is a GU Patrol. 16x8 rims have a 10mm offset and 16x6 rims have a 35mm offset. This would make the inside of the rim of an 8 inch sit 4 inches + 10mm (111.6mm) and the 6 inch 3 inches + 35mm (111.2mm) in from the hub face.
                            Thats what I meant, and a lot better way to explain it.
                            I got the numbers mucked up in my head
                            PCOV Member 1107.
                            Daily driver NX GLX
                            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X