X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Proudy
    • Jul 2007

Advice - Suspension

Well I posted this question in another section but did not get to much of a response....anyway - I have an NS Exceed and want to 'improved' the suspension.
    Reasons - well I am getting a long range tank and a bull bar, not sure if it will be steel or alloy yet...but bottom line is that there will more weight front and back. We will be towing a horse float (heavy!) from time to time and also - I am getting the 4by ready for a few trips (no horse float but maybe a trailer).

So I am keen to get a few ideas from anyone out there. I am not up to speed with 4x4 suspension really (coming from race car back ground) but I am intersted to know of the problems with suspension mods - what to look out for etc, so I am keen for help.

List of needs/thoughts so far.
    1. What brand and or kit?
    2. Whats needed? a bit of lift 30mm? may be 40mm? (definaly keen for some more cleanace
    3. Poly bags to help with towing and keeping my end up...
    4. I dont want to effect the on road feeling and steering dynamics of the car as we are on tar a fair bit, but also any reduction in road noise is a bonus.

Anyway - keen for any thought or experiences, and happy to be ponted to good 4x4 shop in Perth to help supply/fit.

Thanks and look forward to bit of advice on this.
    NS Exceed (03/07 build) - ARB Bull Bar (Colour Coded), Tough Dog Suspension (Ajustable Shocks) 2" lift (more like 3" in the back ) NOW REPLACED WITH OME and much happier IPFs with HID upgrade - Bushman fridge with Extension, Rhino Cross Bars - No DPF probs - Duel Battery set on the way.
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

The NS i sthe same in the suspension as the NM/NP. My suggestion is a set of King springs (50mm lift, Extra heavy duty) which you can pick up and fit yourself for around $350, and keep the original shocks for a while. Nothing wrong with the standard units and your's will obviously be brand new. Changing shocks has stuff all effect on wheel travel, except at the very extremes.
    Set of AT tyres in an LT construction.
    A set of polyairs is a good idea for towing.
    Car will actually ride and handle a whole lot better with this setup.

Cheers....
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007

how does the truch handle better with 50mm in extra height? or do you mean handle better off road clearance wise.

you could also see some people like 4x4 suspension tough dog or similar for advice ... they are a customer of ours and we took our patrol to them recently and the service and advice was great.
      SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• pjchris
        • Jun 2007

I've got EHD 50mm raised springs and the Paj handles better on road and has better clearance off road.

On road the extra stiffness of the springs means less body roll in corners (despite the extra height) and better grip on corrugations bumps etc as the suspension can react faster.

Off road more space under the Paj means less hitting rocks etc..

Peter

ps. I'm also running stiffer Koni Shocks as well.
        2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

What he said...;-)
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

less body roll is great!
            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• Schniff
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

What about ride comfort? I find that the NS standard suspension tune is very firm indeed, especially with tyres at 36 PSI. I let mine down to 32 just to make it a bit more comfortable. Won't heavy duty springs ruin the ride?
              Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

wow i run mine at 40psi.. ride is ok , but i would not want it sharper
                SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• Schniff
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

You on 17s or 18s Norbet?
                  Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007

18's if you want your tyres to last you will need to keep the pressure high
                    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• Schniff
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Adelaide

Norbet, I agree however from my point of view:

1) Not impressed with Dunlop AT20 OEM tyres so looking forward to replacing them with better HT/HP tyres for bitumen.
                      2) Not worth spending 57k on a car if the ride is rubbish at high tyre pressure just to preserve said crappy tyres.
                      3) Replacement tyres are salary sacrificed.

Just my thoughts. Having said all that, the ride improves dramatically when you load the 4by up for a trip, even at higher pressures.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

yes i find the road tires are rubbish on 4x4 these days and they get a real hard time, i have fitted the cooper atr in the past they improved the ride/softer and cornering did not suffer too much. i don't find the ride hard, but of course its all every mans opinion, hell i have a suspension seat in my boat lol
                        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

Comment

• Wilmo
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Perth

I've heard that Bilstein Shocks are good on the NS, not sure what springs to match these up with though - anyone have recommendations / preferences on one brand over another? I believe most give around 40-50mm lift.

Considering Kings, OMEs, Pedders.....any others?
                          NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

• Garygls
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Rockhampton

Hi Proudly, I recently had my 05 NP Lifted. {3" Lovells springs & Bilstein shocks}. I am more than happy with the ride & it handles even better than before,{even the missus notice the differance} money well spent! Ground clearance is good front & back, as before towing a trailer it would bottom out doing creek crossings & so on. Had the Lift kit fitted in Bundaberg on holidays {Know the right people who fit & do the best wheel alinements} loaded up with new 80ltr Waeco & other shopping spree & back to Mt Isa. Lovells springs have always had a good name in springs & Bilstein shocks are highly recommended for your Pajero lift. Very happy with this lift, little extra height should suit towing your horse float to keep it level. Hope this can help you decide on the right lift. Gary
                            Dual Battery
                            80Ltr Waeco
                            91Ltr Longrange Tank
                            3" Lovells/Bilstein
                            3” Exhaust
                            Winch
                            NP 05 DID

Comment

• NS Rob
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Ipswich, QLD

Would fitting heavy duty springs (kings, lovells etc) with 50mm lift affect the warrenty?
                              Cheers,
                              Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
                              1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X