• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caggs
    • Jun 2017
    • Melbourne

What hitch do you use??

I have a 2017 NX Pajero and have just returned from a trip towing a camper trailer. The Camper has a 10" swing up Jockey Wheel and one of the issues i found was that the when hooked up to the Pajero, it is not high enough to swing the Jockey wheel out of the way. I had to drive the rear of the Pajero up onto two planks of wood to get the height needed to retract the jockey wheel.

The camper has a Tregg Hitch and and am looking to replace it as it is a pain to get the height just right to connect to the Pajero. I am looking at a Mchitch or DO35 but open to suggestions for a hitch that is capable of off-road, reliable and gives extra height whilst not getting on the way of the Pajero rear door.

Thanks in advance
  • Poita
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Adelaide

I have an Orac and love its strength and simplicity.

Both the McHitch and DO35 get really good reviews though, you won't go wrong with either, except if you get a hitch with some height to it, you most likely won't be able to open you door.
    NW VRX MY2013
    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• envee
      • Dec 2013
      • Brisbane Qld

We have the DO35. The back door clears it fine and we just have to get the jockey wheel handle (also 10") down to get the door open enough to get to the fridge in the back. Easy to hook up to, I often do it on my own just using the reverse camera.

Cheers

envee

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I use an Ozhitch. I was able to modify my treg hitch (which was easy to do) and this hitch allows me to hook up easily by myself. Its low profile means I can fully open the rear door on the NW. You will need a 20mm drill bit as well. I am very happy with it.

Find great deals for off road and 4 x 4 hitches and couplings that suit a range of offroad vehicles, caravans and trailers. Call OzHitch today!
        Attached Files
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

The Tvan comes standard with a DO35. As others have said, it's the bees knees and clears the door easily.

When I picked up my Tvan last year, I had the same issue as you have and that was the height wasn't enough to allow the jockey wheel to drop all the way down and that was at the Tvan factory on a level concrete floor. There were two options to fix it, one being to cut and reweld the position of the wheel shaft on the bracket or get another set which had the job already done at manufacture. Either way, it will fix the problem.

You may then find that on occasionally uneven ground, you may need a small block to put under the jockey wheel because it's now slightly too high but that's easily fixed by the block.
          Last edited by Ian H; 29-05-18, 09:32 PM.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Another vote for the ozhitch. Simples is best
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• skins2380
              • Jun 2015
              • ACT

AL-KO have a new off road hitch. Been out a couple of months. Looks nice but don't know what its like. Maybe worth looking into before deciding.

Comment

• dbdb
                • Aug 2008
                • Adelaide Hills

I've got a mchitch, no problem opening back door (and I've got it on a flipped hitch) and is very easy to hook up. Fine off road.
                14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• mrbitchi
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

I use a Mchitch Auto Coupler. Best thing since sliced bread
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                  Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Chris9753
                    • Jul 2015
                    • Victoria

Also use McHitch....ideal for me and works well. Only problem is that I have a small camper trailer (750 Kg) and 3.5 tonne hitch (the 2 tonne were out of stock so they gave me the 3.5 tonne for the same price) so I need to use wheel chocks on the trailer when connecting. If I don't the trailer just moves backward and doesn't "click" in.

No problem with clearing the rear door but I have the spare wheel lift kit fitted.

I also had problems with lowering the jockey wheel but solved once I got a 3 cm lift by fitting old man emu suspension.
                    2014 GLS
                    MMS Towbar, Redarc Tow Pro, Ultra Gauge, McHitch, Icom 450, Dual Batteries, Old Man Emu suspension, FOBO TPMS, full set Boo's Bash plates.

Comment

• Neville Sneath
                      • Jan 2014
                      • Newcastle

I use a DO35, On some Caravan and camper trailer sights there are posts where the Mchitch mounting bolt has failed. One other thing with Mchitch and ozhitch the universal is the pivot point (like the tow ball), which is 120mm from the mounting on the tow bar tong, the same effect as using a 50mm ball on a tong which is 120mm longer then standard.
                      If towing off road going over humps or ridges this is going to put more strain on the tow bar and tow vehicle as there is more leverage.
                      Also if now or in the future you use a weight distribution hitch go with a DO35.

Comment

• terryfirma
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Clare S.A.

I also have a DO35 hitch and find its great.
                        When connected there is sufficient clearance to enable the rear door to be opened without the door hitting the hitch.
                        Also the WDH easily attach to the set up

Cheers
                        Terry
                        Attached Files
                        NH Pajero 1993 3.0 V6 GLS with ARB Bullbar, HD Suspension 2" lift, Roof rack, cargo barrier, rear drawers, onboard air compressor, Mickey Thompson MTZ tyres, Hella Spot lights, UHF radio, GPS
                        ALSO NT 30th Anniversary Model 3.2 DID Auto.(Accessory list needs to start again). Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 Tyres, ARB old man emu 50mm Suspension lift, SPV module and Catch Can,Bushskinz plates, King Brown 3" Exhaust turbo back, Flappy Paddles, Auto Mate Torque Lock up Kit.

Comment

• P4J3R0
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Brisbane

I have always used hyland hitches on my camper and the campers I make.

Just easy to hook up and unhook. It fits a normal ball however I have found some tow balls have a low height which causes the hitch to rub on the ball mount. And it sits low enough that the door on the Pajero opens without hitting it.
                          NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Jackal
                            • Aug 2009

jackal

G'day, like Dicko1 I too use the wonderful Oz Hitch (manufactured by Manutec in South Australia--Dan O'leary is the man) and it is simply brilliant--so easy to line up hitch and un-hitch.

As with just about every other Pajero owner we too had the issue of the rear door of our NT not opening more than about three inches; as we travel with a dog in her cage in the back compartment, this was a real pain. Even when we had the original Treg hitch on our off-road caravan, because of the height of the van, we still could not get the rear doors open. We already had the spare wheel lift kit fitted and still could not open the damn doors.

So, after a lot of research, we fitted the low profile Oz Hitch, and joy oh joy, we can now open the rear door all the way to the gas bottles on the caravan drawbar, and if I turn the Paj on the a slight angle we can have the door go past the gas bottles.

And this, with our tow tongue in the inverted position and the reverse camera mounted to the base of the spare wheel cover.

I think the latter model Pajero's may have redesigned the back door and spare wheel position as they seem to have more 'height' than previously?

I did see a towbar mounted on a Pajero the other day which appeared to sit lower than the Mitshi one--a Trail something or other?

The point here is, don't give up on the rear door and tow bar mounting, there are various options and the one which worked best for us...Oz Hitch.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

I have an NX with the rear tyre at factory height. Didn’t need to lift it.

Have a Treg off road hitch on the camper trailer. Just drilled an extra hole in the pin about an inch above the original. Spring is under slightly more tension but big deal. Holds the pin lower and I can open the door to 45+ degrees. Will take a photo sometime. So Treg off road works well for us.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X