• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drgtr
    • Sep 2019
    • Rosemeadow

oil change intervals

Just to confirm. Service books says 15 000kms between oil changes?

Is it because oil technology has changed we can go from 10 000kms to 15 000kms?
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
    Just to confirm. Service books says 15 000kms between oil changes?

Is it because oil technology has changed we can go from 10 000kms to 15 000kms?

mitsi have been 15k km for several years .... some other makes are even longer intervals ...

as a general rule it's usually kms or 12 months ... (seems though Toyota have still some vehicles with 6 month intervals or 10k km) don't ask me why ...

Also the use of full synthetic does help with longevity of oil viscosity ...

NB under certain conditions of stop - start short distance driving a 6 month or 7.5k km would be recommended or dusty conditions ... (as per recommended in service manual) ....

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• drgtr
      • Sep 2019
      • Rosemeadow

Just not use to the idea coming from a dirty patrol td42ti that was meant to be done every 5000km!

Gosh. I cant imagine some companies even longer. Not use to that!

Okay so If I changed oil at 205 000kms. Honestly no issue going to 220 000km?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Been doing 7,500 since day one. Just our choice.

Over 330,000.

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

Just not use to the idea coming from a dirty patrol td42ti that was meant to be done every 5000km!

Gosh. I cant imagine some companies even longer. Not use to that!

Okay so If I changed oil at 205 000kms. Honestly no issue going to 220 000km?
          Just keep your eye on the oil level as the km's are getting up there ... @ 10k km I would say you may have to add approx 1/2 ltr of engine oil ... or if you feel the condition of the oil is not to your liking just change it ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• _jp_
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2013
            • Adelaide Hills, SA

I've always felt the 15000km interval seems too long.

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            Been doing 7,500 since day one. Just our choice.
            Same with me, every 7500km since new .....

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            Over 330,000.
            ..... so I hope I make it this far, too!
            NW GLXR - SOLD
            --------------
            EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

I'm a salesperson by job so this is just purely that coming out in me & I guess hanging around diesel machinery for many years as well.

In my personal opinion the "sales tool" which is extended oil changes which is a headline advertisement & lowers the cost of ownership or if you like it is best case scenario length of time oil should be left before changed etc.

Read the fine print of the service schedule on any engine & you'll find the truth.

Probably should be written the other way around, if it wasn't sales tool orientated?

Depends on how the engine is being used, under load halve it, stop start & around town halve it, high ambient temps halve it etc etc.

Long easy runs & the use of the recommended spec oils which these days are high spec synthetics generally, there is absolutley no problem following the "best case scenario" recommendations.

But in saying that it depends on how long you want to keep it? Irrelevent if you trade it often?
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• drgtr
                • Sep 2019
                • Rosemeadow

Good information guys
                Thanks

Has anyone done an oil sample analysis after 10 000kms?

Comment

• Ozzyal
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Rushworth

The best synthetic oil in the world won't stop contamination .
                  I put in whatever is on special and change around 7500kms , but don't panic if I can't get around to changing before 10,000 .
                  As stated , 15,000kms is a marketing tool . If you expect to keep the car , frequent oil changes are relatively cheap if you do them yourself .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

• drgtr
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by Ozzyal View Post
                    The best synthetic oil in the world won't stop contamination .
                    I put in whatever is on special and change around 7500kms , but don't panic if I can't get around to changing before 10,000 .
                    As stated , 15,000kms is a marketing tool . If you expect to keep the car , frequent oil changes are relatively cheap if you do them yourself .

You are right. Thank god the pajero so easy to change. Sump bolt and filter both on the bottom
                    plus my two inch lift . I dont even need a jack to get underneath

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Has anyone done an oil sample analysis after 10 000kms?
                      Yes. I did the NX at 10K. Penrite HPR D10. It was fine. I need to do a 15K change and get UOA done again to see the difference. It proved to me changing at 7.5K was not just environmentally unfriendly, but I was throwing bags of money away.

On my NP, this was a different story. Penrite HPR D15. At 7.5K the oil had lost 30% of its starting viscosity and was flagged at a caution. I even provided virgin oil to prove the viscosity reduction they discovered was correct. Either the viscosity improver was breaking down early or I was using the wrong oil. I stayed with the D15 and 7.5K changes.

Everyone can give you the best advice in the world, myself included. It means nothing. Spend $50, get UOA done and get the facts. The cost of half an oil change, you will start to save by your second change and have the facts to play with.

Originally posted by Ozzyal View Post
                      I see this argument a lot. How many clapped out old engines requiring a rebuild do you know of? Sure, I don't disagree that old oil creates wear, but honestly, how many engines do you know of that need a rebuild before end of life of the vehicle? And how does 15K changes affect that?

Spend $50 on UOA and you may just be able to run to 15K intervals on the right oils. How would you know otherwise? There is a lot of old wives tales getting around.
                      Last edited by sharkcaver; 07-02-20, 09:05 AM.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Ozzyal
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Rushworth

Perhaps you are right .
                        500,000kms on my old Delica without any issues , still not requiring top ups before I crashed it to a premature death.
                        Oil viscosity maybe fine at 15000kms , it's still the contamination that has me changing at early intervals

Comment

• Alben
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Victoria

The biggest improvement (visually) to contamination in the oil I have seen was from restricting the operation of the egr.
                          This was just noticed from checking dipstick oil between my fingers and also putting a drop of it on white paper and seeing how it spread out. But that doesnt take into account breakdown of additives and is not really a technical measure of how good the oil still is.
                          2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• Alben
                            • Jul 2010
                            • Victoria

Although the older engine in the triton with over 420,000kms on it and no egr from factory the oil is black as soon as you pour it in basically. I would imagine piston rings and valve seals would be allowing more combustion soot passed and mixing with the oil there.
                            That is one of the reasons why it gets oil changed every 5000km and the pajero is every 15,000kms when used "normally". 10,000km when used normally by my definition though.
                            2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• drgtr
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Rosemeadow

Would be nice if there was concrete evidence to support a certain interval.

one we arent wasting more money and two environmental sustainability.

Someone mentioned Delica.. Ooh I would trade my pajero in for a clean delica anyday.

One that wont crack heads lol

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X