• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Off topic - travelling with Doggos

Missus and I looking at getting a small doggo. Australian Terrier.

Curious who here travels with their dogs and how you do it.

I have 3 kids in the back (middle) seat, no third row (ex cop GLX5)

Have a very sturdy, marine-carpeted ply shelf in the boot (about 400mm above boot floor level) built by a forum member.

Thinking of something like this: https://www.kmart.com.au/product/pet...medium/1574878
    Cover available for it also.

Seems it will fit between my KAON cargo barrier and the rear door glass line (760m) only just, and then i have extra width.

Anyone doing something like this in a crate in their boot because no seat room? How does it go? Is this the smallest you'd do for a small terrier sized dog? I'm thinking I'd have to secure it to the KAON to stop it moving, unless bags holding it in provided they don't squash it.

Thinking for decent trips we'd have to get housesitters or take to dog hotel. But anybody travel with their dogs in their boot?

How many camping places / caravan parks these days don't allow dogs at all? (Apart from NSW national parks and no doubt other state national parks).

Anyone get a dog and regretted it when they hit the road?

Just want to make sure all things are considered before doing it.

Thanks all
  • MiteeWidge
    • Mar 2014
    • Townsville

Can't fault your choice of breeds. These are a few photos our a recent trip to the Cape with our Australian Terrier- Widgee. He has travelled extensively with us and can honestly say we has never given me one moments grief or cause for regret. One proviso being he has had a lot of time and effort put into him when he was young so is very well behaved when we travel. If you have the time to put into him when he is young it will pay off for you in the future. What you put into them is what you will get out of them. He is now twelve and still does two trips a year to Brisbane.
    They are very loyal and great around kids. My daughters grew up with him and in all the hidings he copped from them I never once even saw him some much as raise his lip. They can be stubborn and are gluttons around food. They are strong little dogs and don't experience many health issues apart from weight gain. Hope it works out well for you and the family if you do decide to take him travelling.
    Attached Files
    2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
      • Aug 2012
      • Brisbane, Southside

We have travelled with a small dog all over Aust with no problems.

WikiCamps indicates which parks are dog friendly, but by far most are. There is always a choice where a park does not take dogs. If you ant to go in to a national park there are usually kennels nearby for short term use.

Of course the rules must be followed, dogs kept on a lead and pick up after them. But we really enjoy and so does the mutt, travelling together.

Greg
      Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
      Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X