• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bdg
    • Nov 2015
    • Melbourne

2003 Pajero NP overheating

Hi guys

I picked up a 2003 Pajero from auction so I was expecting few niggles here and there, however now I'm really worried as I've now come to learn that it overheats, I've noticed this mainly happens in idle however it's not very consistent. The most concerning episode took place when I noticed white smoke under the bonnet and then a boiling sound.
    My mechanic said it might be the the main fan as he seems to think it might be faulty but I'm not convinced.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Welcome to the forum mate.

Is your vehicle diesel or petrol - ie. which engine do you have ?

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Bdg
      • Nov 2015
      • Melbourne

Hi Geoff

It's petrol and sitting on 310000km odometer reading

Comment

• Ocean
        • May 2014
        • Blue mountains NSW

Hi BDG,

Welcome mate, the visco fan on both the Petrel and Diesel Pajero like many other manufactures models do fail overtime. Your machanic starting there makes sense and I am sure he will check many of the other elements of the cooling system. Keep us posted on the progress there is many members on the forum that will be able to provide advice if you machanic has problems.

Cheers Ocean
        Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

The viscous coupling on the radiator fan is probably failing, but not yet dead. The coupling probably has lost some of its fluid. When the engine revs a bit harder, there is enough fluid left to drive the fan. New coupling or maybe even top-up of the old one - you may have to drill the casing and then plug it afterwards. You used to be able to buy coupling fluid from Toyota. Depends on how badly it is leaking too.

Comment

• chrisfarru
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Central Coast NSW

I refurbished mine with Toyota oil. This is the DIY thread.

Still going strong, more than 50,000 kms later
            NS 3.2 - Roo Bar, Warn Winch, UHF, Bilstein/Lovells, Engine/tranny watchdog, HikeIT, LED headlights, EGR delete, DPF delete, Catch Can

Comment

• George Whiley
              • Aug 2013
              • Rockhampton

I'd start with the simple, cheap stuff, new coolant, make sure you run the heater to flush the core and make sure you bleed air from the system using the bleed screws(where the yellow stickers are at the top of the hose) also make sure the hose inside the overflow is connected properly
              2002 NM 3.5 ltr, LPG Auto

Comment

• mrbitchi
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

White smoke and boiling? What was the temp gauge doing?

To get that hot under normal conditions (you weren't towing then were you?) I'd say either you have a blockage, radiator or thermostat most likely culprits, or you have a cracked head / blown head gasket.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Stroker
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Glenorie NSW

Hey BDG

I think this model that you have had a reputation for radiator blockages caused by the coolant turning to a Gel, you might be able to do a search on that

Cheers Glenn
                  NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

• Bdg
                    • Nov 2015
                    • Melbourne

Truly a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Thank you for all your input.

Anyone had experience regarding the cleaning of the radiator to remove the gel? I'm thinking this along with the fan replacement might be an ideal start.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Cairns

Originally posted by Bdg View Post
                      Anyone had experience regarding the cleaning of the radiator to remove the gel? I'm thinking this along with the fan replacement might be an ideal start.
                      I wouldn't bother with the old radiator. A brand new 25mm thick core is less than $300 (for the diesel) from Natrad. The V6 radiator would be about the same price. You will be better off just replacing it...
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Darwiniandude
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2008
                        • Adelaide

I found mine overheated (went over halfway on gauge) when in drive thoughs, stop start traffic, hills, in hot weather with aircon on. Changed lots of stuff, flush, new radiator etc. clutch fan seemed okish, did diy fix, helped for awhile. Eventually bought genuine clutch fan overseas (too expensive here) problem 100% solved for me at least.
                        Adelaide
                        2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• mrbitchi
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                          I wouldn't bother with the old radiator. A brand new 25mm thick core is less than $300 (for the diesel) from Natrad. The V6 radiator would be about the same price. You will be better off just replacing it...
                          Cheers, Dan.
                          x2
                          Cheers, John.
                          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Tamworth
                            • May 2014
                            • Tamworth

Overheating

I can't remember the layout of the NP Radiators, but it may be a simple as your radiator is clogged with dirt, dust and grass seeds. The NS and NW engine radiator is very close to the AC one (and auto transmission cooler?)

I found mine use to get clogged with crap from driving on dirt roads and grass seeds across paddocks . I had mine cleaned out and hey presto the over heating I suffered on steep climbs went away. Very cheap fix

Have a look at between your radiators and cooling fins

Comment

• Darwiniandude
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2008
                              • Adelaide

In case it's helpful to the OP here is the thread where I tracked down my own cooling issues, in my case anyway, to the clutch fan. http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36226
                              Adelaide
                              2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X