• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Link to info about the Hayman Reece anti rattle pin design.
    Hayman Reese designs, manufactures, tests and distributes vehicle towing systems including towbars, weight distributing hitches, sway controllers, cargo barriers and a wide range of accessories.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• denisp
      • Dec 2018
      • Mt Eliza

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi Denis,

What did you change on the suspensions?
      Do you have ride height measurements and coil part numbers?

OJ.

Just went to Pedders and got them to add airbags in the coils with kevlar protection covers. Not the way you would have done it for sure but at 20psi the rig is level when hitched.
      Drop the pressure to 5psi when not towing,which is most of the time, and the ride is close to original.
      Others I know have changed the coils and still used airbags and others have used your tried and true method.

I would have gone your way if I had known at the time.
      Denis.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
        • Aug 2012
        • Brisbane, Southside

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        No problems, with the advice.
        What are you thinking about a WDH?
        The PS rear coils are very soft and do not carry weight well. If you are maintaining the factory front suspension then a rear coil upgrade to King KCRS-23 is advisable, this is a comfortable progressive rate spring when lightly loaded but carries weight much better. For the sake of an extra $125 and whilst changing the rear coils I would strongly recommend replacing the factory rubber cone assistance springs with Peddars 5899 rubber cone springs, these activated earlier in the suspension compression and have a much higher assist force than the factory cone springs. This is a tried and proven rear suspension upgrade on both the Pajero Sport and PB/PC Challenger.

OJ.
        Hi Evie,

Just reading through this thread and especially OJ’s comments which are as always spot on. I have a very similar setup to yours, towing a 2500kg caravan with a 2018 Paj Sport. Having done a few long trips I’ll add the following comments:

#. The factory tow bar is visible, but for hooking/unhooking the van which you might be doing every day, it is well designed - you never have to get down under the rear to connect anything up, safety chains, plugs, are all accessible from a standing position - a very good feature in wet or dirty conditions and one that I love
        #. OJ mentions a WDH, weight distribution hitch - these reduce pitching and are an essential for long haul towing. I use the common Hayman Reece system but there are plenty of alternatives, just make sure you get one that is easy to connect up, and sufficiently rated for your van weight.
        #. OJ also mentions the King Springs and Pedders rubber cones - I just had these fitted and it is a very good modification to do, I had Pedders fit mine but any good suspension place will do.

Good luck, the advice from OJ and Others is about the best you can get so well done in finding this forum.

Greg
        Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
        Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Evie
          • Aug 2019
          • Perth

pajero sport Towball

Hi all, me again😊I have decided on the aftermarket HR towball, have spoken with 4wd company that are doing my caravan electrics etc. They have given me the option of a 2nd vehicle battery to isolate the crank battery, great idea but at over $1000 set up query if I actually need a second battery. When I am towing my current small van if I have a coffee stop I basically just turn my fridge off inside my van until I return so as not to accidentally drain my vehicle battery, this has been easier for me than pulling the cable. Is there a isolator switch?? that can be fitted to my vehicle that I can maybe just flick while I am stopped for a short time, when I am overnight I obviously pull the plug. Also it was recommended I carry a set of jump leads if ever needing a jump start, is there something in particular I should be looking at!! I am 70 and travel alone so always make sure I have RAC as my backup friend but also want to be covered if I am remote and assistance is too far away. Any other little tips greatly appreciated, never too old to learn, thanks everyone, Yvonne

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Hi Evie,

"Do you want fries with your order", someone is trying to up sell you something you may not really need or use!

If you have no need for stand alone 12volt power and you are staying at powered sites each night then you do not need a 2nd battery or even a battery in the caravan and all the complicate stuff that is also required.

When they do the wiring when fitting the new towbar, get them to check that the 12volt power supply from the vehicle to the caravan is switched ON only when the car is running or the ignition is selected to accessories. This way when you stop for a rest or overnight then you will not be draining the cars battery.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Evie
              • Aug 2019
              • Perth

Thanks Jack, that is basically what I was looking for. I will run that suggestion by the installers. I will be free camping a lot in my van, have 2 van batteries set up with solar. Just needed something as a backup in case my coffee stop stretched longer than planned and I hadn't pulled the plug or turned my fridge off. thanks again

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Do you have an Anderson Plug/Lead for charging the caravan batteries on the caravan?
                If so you will need to get an Anderson plug and wiring fitted to the Pajero Sport and have an automatic relay controller fitted so the caravan batteries will be automatically disconnected unless the engine is running and the starting battery is charged.

OJ.

Comment

• orthodoxs
                  • Mar 2018
                  • Darwin

Originally posted by Evie View Post
                  Also it was recommended I carry a set of jump leads if ever needing a jump start, is there something in particular I should be looking at!! I am 70 and travel alone so always make sure I have RAC as my backup friend but also want to be covered if I am remote and assistance is too far away. Any other little tips greatly appreciated, never too old to learn, thanks everyone, Yvonne
                  The primary battery will also fail eventually, the jump leads may not be helpful if you are alone or you have parked it, bum end out. I would suggest you get one of the newer lithium powered jump starters. They are surprisingly powerful, light weight, very compact and will recharge your phones, laptops etc. The models with a boost function, will be able to start the car even when the battery is stone dead. If you get one rated for 6/8 cylinder diesel you could end up helping other travelers in distress. Definitly gives you some peace of mind. Any others who have one, chip in with ur suggestions please. Also could someone who has lithium as a secondary battery, tell us if these can be used to jump start the car in a pinch, They are very expensive tho.

Comment

• Evie
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Perth

That is basically what I was looking for. my electrics in my vehicle for my van will be 12 pin- 7 pin side is -
                    1. L indicator 2. Blank 3. Earth 4. R Indicator 5. Electric brakes 6.stop lights 7.tail lights

5 pin side 8. Not used 9 Fridge + 6mm (min 25amp fuse) 10. Fridge - (6mm) 11. Not used 12. 12v + return for tow vehicle battery monitor (NSW legality)

I will also have the caravan reverse camera wired to the car. How does that sound?? the system you mentioned Jack, would that be wired in to one of the blanks??? thanks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X