X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • polarbear8131
    • Apr 2013
    • Macedon Ranges, Victoria.

Still no success, the fume fault is intermittent but appears worse during the colder months. Fumes are definitely on the outside only, car is now at 310k but has been serviced every 10k since new. I’m keeping the car until it stops so can put up with the occasional fumes at the moment as otherwise the car drives perfectly.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by polarbear8131 View Post
      Still no success, the fume fault is intermittent but appears worse during the colder months. Fumes are definitely on the outside only, car is now at 310k but has been serviced every 10k since new. I’m keeping the car until it stops so can put up with the occasional fumes at the moment as otherwise the car drives perfectly.
      I notice you live in a very cold area & your car has a early model DPF.

Does the car get a good long run to get properly hot for over 30 minutes, at least every few hundred kms? The DPFs appear to need this to successfully complete their "burn".

Check the engine oil level regularly to ensure it doesn't become overfull due to failed DPF burn cycles (the car injects extra diesel when trying to complete a burn & repeated burn failures cause diesel to build up in the sump oil).

Also check your mechanic is using the correct specification "low ash" oil, as the wrong oil can cause the DPF to become clogged & eventually fail.

During & just after a burn, it will smell quite hot & may have a different odor - I wonder if that is what you are noticing?
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• brejen
        • Aug 2008
        • Gold Coast

Wondering if you ever fixed the smell?
        We have changed our exhaust and had the manifold clean twice.
        The fumes are sometimes eye watering but only outside the car and not in the cabin.
        Car has never missed a beat.

Comment

• polarbear8131
          • Apr 2013
          • Macedon Ranges, Victoria.

No success yet, but the fumes are definitely worse in the colder months and only on the outside of the car. I have recently installed a new CAT and DPF (due to other issues) but the strong exhaust smell is still apparent. Apart from that, with new injectors, CAT & DPF the car drives great.. bloody cars !

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X