• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

ARK dual connector 7 pin flat plug and Anderson style install

For anyone interested since there wasn’t any feedback (from memory) on an earlier thread I started about this particular 50mm high dual socket plug.

So I needed a new 7 pin flat plug anyway and also need an Anderson so I got this ARK dual socket for $36 plus $8 postage.

(No affiliation and the reviews of their store aren’t all great and the guy on the phone certainly wasn’t keen on talking to me but the item arrived within 2-3 days)

ARK said no issues mounting it upside down. I was just curious about whether the 7 pin would hold in the same as when the lid is on the underside and the cable weight is pulling it down slightly.

Then it arrived and I wondered how to fit it above the existing factory towbar flat (and bent) steel bar that comes out the side of the square hitch receiver, without trimming the plastic bumper. I was prepared to trim the bumper but would prefer not to. Also, the dimensions between both pairs of holes aren’t the same so I couldn’t mount the Ark unit into the existing 7 pin flat plug holes.

So I found a spare flat piece of steel, cut it, drilled, filed, painted, some new M4 bolts with nylock nuts and fits well upside down, the new steel pulls it just far enough out to be able to open the lid with a small amount of give in the bumper when doing so. There is a millimetre spare between the plug and the bumper. The 7 pin plug seems to be very secure when in.

If I had a bigger bit of steel to start with I would’ve provided total protection to the underside of the plug front to back so there is no exposed plastic to be damaged. Another time when I have a larger spare bit. Especially since the plug isn’t totally straight and my OCD will get the better of me. This will do for this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 18-08-19, 11:14 PM.
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Videos:

Clearance for opening top lid:

And when plug is in: https://youtu.be/EkdddgoYbSY

Comment

• Pixie_au
      • Apr 2019
      • Queensland

Thanks for sharing

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

Looks like you will rub paint and probably into the plastic as well when the plug is in use. If you were concerned I’d try a very thin piece of epdm foam stuck to the lid or to the bumper itself.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

ARK dual connector 7 pin flat plug and Anderson style install

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
          Looks like you will rub paint and probably into the plastic as well when the plug is in use. If you were concerned I’d try a very thin piece of epdm foam stuck to the lid or to the bumper itself.
          Thanks mate, I thought of that later last night and went looking for an appropriate piece to stick on the lid, but thanks for raising it as I probably wouldn’t have thought to come back and mention it.

Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 19-08-19, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X