• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haynes1701
    • Dec 2010
    • Tennessee, USA

2001 Montero Ten-Year Ownership Review

Reporting in on ten years of ownership of my 2001 Montero Limited. Purchased used in September of 2009 with 78,000 miles. Now has 152,000. This has been a fantastic vehicle from day one of ownership. Did a tune-up at 100,000 miles. Been through two sets of tires and one set of brakes. Two auto aerials. Two batteries. Windscreen replaced a year after purchase due to metal rod impalement while driving on the interstate. Replacement of stock radio with Bluetooth double din unit last year (air con controls moved to lower bin).
    This has been my favorite vehicle thus far. Still looks better than any of the “modern” stuff for sale now. I still smile every time I walk out to get in and drive it. Smooth ride, precise handling. I can “feel” the road with the steering wheel. Four wheel drive works great and never let me down. Excellent visibility out of the car, unlike the “gun slit” windows of these new cars.
    It is not without its scars and faults, such as the typical occasional flashing C/D Lock light, mediocre gas mileage and need for expensive, high grade petrol. I foolishly replaced the stock headlights with cheapo Chinese aftermarket ones, and they are terrible at night. Reflectors are almost non-existent and the clear coat on the outside is already peeling. Will probably go back to the stock ones soon (the newer one made the car look “younger” IMO). Leaks oil slightly, but not enough to warrant gasket repair job. I just keep oil changes up as scheduled. Paint on top of the Montero is fading due to sun, but the rest of the car is near flawless, except for dings.
    My wife drives a 2016 Ford Explorer with all the bells and whistles, and I would still rather drive my Monty. Mitsubishi got it right with this series. It was a car ahead of its time both in looks and capabilities. Mitsubishi has sold nothing like it in the States since 2006. I would by a new one tomorrow if it were available. So until then, here’s to many more years with this great car!
    Attached Files
  • AzMontero
    • Jan 2018
    • Arizona

Nice

These Trucks are quite robust. As 226,000 miles and counting. doing stupid things like jumping off from steep rail road grades to being a comfy desert runner. Really the only severe consequence, is a broken belt idler puller and a semi-inoperable sunroof.

Any Future Modifications?

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Dont think you,ll have any problems getting people on here agreeing with what a class act the Paj is in any of the variants....
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        Dont think you,ll have any problems getting people on here agreeing with what a class act the Paj is in any of the variants....
        Yep, got that right
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X