• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Da_Penguin
    • Nov 2015
    • Brisbane

Water leak in NT Exceed

My NT Exceed which my wife is now driving has developed a leak I believe.

The drivers footwell I think is the point the water is accumulating as my wife mentioned that on one day it dripped on her foot during heavy rain.

She has not noticed it since, but the carpet now smells very mouldy so I suspect it is occuring more often than she is noticing.

My questions are:

1) The most common leak points for the NT. I would think the windscreen and possibly a blocked AC drain pipe perhaps?
    2) Any ideas how to get rid of the smell for the carpet? Bleach is great at killing mould but I would think it would also ruin the black carpet.
  • NT11Pajero
    • Jun 2019
    • Brisbane

My NT had the same problem. Hopefully I've fixed it - will know the next time it rains for sure. I found big gaps between the corners of the windscreen where it meets the roof rail channels. I pumped HEAPS of windscreen sealant in the gap and pressed it in with a flathead screwdriver to try to force it into any gaps. I've tested with a hose and it seems fine. Fingers crossed.
    Pajero 2011 NT GLS DID Auto. 3" 304 stainless exhaust, dyno tuned (135awkw), EGR block, EGR cooler removed, provent catch can, custom intercooler

Comment

• ccoop
      • Nov 2014
      • Wollongong NSW

I’ve seen the same problem on 2 pajeros ns and nt where water leaks through cracks in the sealant within the roof gutter. this then runs to a point above the windscreen and down the a pillar, behind the dash and on to your foot. take off the a pillar plastic to prove it. fixed it by removing the mouldings in the roof tracks and putting a bit of sikaflex then put it all back.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Is the air conditioner operating when you get wet? Although the A/C unit is on the left side, my memory tells me the condensate drain is in the centre of the car, and if it is choked with crud, it could drip on your foot.

Comment

• johnandcass
          • Oct 2014
          • Margaret River

Originally posted by erad View Post
          Is the air conditioner operating when you get wet? Although the A/C unit is on the left side, my memory tells me the condensate drain is in the centre of the car, and if it is choked with crud, it could drip on your foot.
          Although I’m hijacking this thread that’s 4 years old this my exact problem!
          Very wet drivers footwell and after a few weeks of investigation have narrowed it down to an air con leak.
          My only problem is I can’t find the actual leak. Based on old posts mainly about NP/NS issues in the passenger footwell I have tried to find the condenser unit and the under car outlet but I really don’t know what I’m looking.
          Pic attached - is this the drain outlet that the screwdriver is inserted in? If not what am I looking for?
          And how do I get to the condensate drain behind the dash?
          Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4798.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1134892
          2010 NT RX, diesel auto.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

I don’t envy you with this problem. The A/C evaporator unit is located above the glovebox. You will be able to locate exactly where by finding where the A/C pipes enter the firewall under the bonnet. That is easy. Having located where it is, next problem is to get into the air duct. Almost certainly the drain at the bottom of the duct will be blocked by leaves or similar crud.

I think that you would have to remove as much ducting as possible and look for crud. A fibrescope would help enormously if you can borrow one. Once ducting is opened up, you may be able to dislodge the crud by blowing with air or even water. Messy and awkward job.

Comment

• johnandcass
              • Oct 2014
              • Margaret River

Thanks erad
              I’m away for a few days so will tackle it late in the week.
              2010 NT RX, diesel auto.

Comment

• Gerard2
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2022
                • Ipswich

Originally posted by ccoop View Post
                I’ve seen the same problem on 2 pajeros ns and nt where water leaks through cracks in the sealant within the roof gutter. this then runs to a point above the windscreen and down the a pillar, behind the dash and on to your foot. take off the a pillar plastic to prove it. fixed it by removing the mouldings in the roof tracks and putting a bit of sikaflex then put it all back.
                I'll have to check this. I have this type of leak and not leaking with water applied at th escreen. Was thinking roof rack gaskets but your suggestion sounds like a good one.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X