• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingmarz
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2016
    • South Island New Zealand

I’ve used permaseal gasket a couple of times on Subaru’s leaky EJ25-4 engines and they seem to be reasonable good quality. Yeah I would try the 4 notch gasket as they should be more forgiving and should bring down the compression ratio slightly which may stop the head from lifting if that happens to be the cause and I guess you’ve gota try something different this time also make sure there’s no dirt in the head bolt holes/thread in the block which can be quite difficult to clean especially when not removing engine and being able to turn it upside down on a stand but definitely use brake cleaner. TBH it sounds like you’re doing everything right.
    Get a EGT gauge and an aftermarket temp gauge cos just today I was towing fully loaded enclosed trailer 400km in my Pajero 3.2DID and when going up a long steep hill my aftermarket temp gauge was hitting 100 and going back down to 75ish when cruising but my factory temp gauge never moved from just below half way.
    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Martynhpajero
      • Jan 2011
      • Mount Gambier

I used a genuine 4 notch head gasket from amayama.com. about $100 I think. And New genuine head bolts from the same place. Peace of mind...

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
      NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's
      NL GLS 2.8, PC Challenger auto for the wife.

Comment

• chaddy
        • Jul 2019
        • Victoria

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
        I’ve used permaseal gasket a couple of times on Subaru’s leaky EJ25-4 engines and they seem to be reasonable good quality. Yeah I would try the 4 notch gasket as they should be more forgiving and should bring down the compression ratio slightly which may stop the head from lifting if that happens to be the cause and I guess you’ve gota try something different this time also make sure there’s no dirt in the head bolt holes/thread in the block which can be quite difficult to clean especially when not removing engine and being able to turn it upside down on a stand but definitely use brake cleaner. TBH it sounds like you’re doing everything right.
        Get a EGT gauge and an aftermarket temp gauge cos just today I was towing fully loaded enclosed trailer 400km in my Pajero 3.2DID and when going up a long steep hill my aftermarket temp gauge was hitting 100 and going back down to 75ish when cruising but my factory temp gauge never moved from just below half way.
        yes I will get some gauges installed and try to figure out what is actually wrong with it. Thanks mate

Comment

• chaddy
          • Jul 2019
          • Victoria

Originally posted by Martynhpajero View Post
          I used a genuine 4 notch head gasket from amayama.com. about $100 I think. And New genuine head bolts from the same place. Peace of mind...

I went to this website, it is really amazing. Thanks for that mate. BTW why did you go for a 4 notch gasket?

Comment

• 4ePikanini
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • South Africa, East London

I always accompany a headgasket job with a new genuine thermostat + radiator cap and a radiator flush (proper removal and cleaned by a reputable shop)

Have you checked the viscous fan is working?

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
            1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
            2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
            2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Martynhpajero
              • Jan 2011
              • Mount Gambier

Originally posted by chaddy View Post
              I went to this website, it is really amazing. Thanks for that mate. BTW why did you go for a 4 notch gasket?
              4 notch is the thickest and therefore the safest option. I'd rather have a little bit lower compression, than any chance of valves hitting pistons.

NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's

Comment

• MACXR8
                • Jul 2019
                • SYDNEY

Try https://www.smsdiesel.com.au/product...ch?qs=ME200754 for your head gasket and bolts. way better than permaseal. all these gasket etc are either OE or genuine

Comment

• chaddy
                  • Jul 2019
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
                  I always accompany a headgasket job with a new genuine thermostat + radiator cap and a radiator flush (proper removal and cleaned by a reputable shop)

Have you checked the viscous fan is working?

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
                  The fan is noisy as soon as you start the car and it goes away within few seconds. I think that's how they work even on new cars.

I haven't professionally checked it though.

Comment

• chaddy
                    • Jul 2019
                    • Victoria

4 notch is the thickest and therefore the safest option. I'd rather have a little bit lower compression, than any chance of valves hitting pistons.

Yes that's what I need too. I'll go for the 4 notch one this time. Cheers mate

Comment

• chaddy
                      • Jul 2019
                      • Victoria

Originally posted by MACXR8 View Post
                      Try https://www.smsdiesel.com.au/product...ch?qs=ME200754 for your head gasket and bolts. way better than permaseal. all these gasket etc are either OE or genuine
                      I'm just wondering whether to order from here or from Japan from the link posted earlier. Which one is the best?

Comment

• Martynhpajero
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Mount Gambier

Genuine gasket ME200754 was about $50 US from partsouq. Plus postage. Genuine head bolts about $3.50 each. Cheap and genuine.

Comment

• chaddy
                          • Jul 2019
                          • Victoria

Genuine gasket ME200754 was about $50 US from partsouq. Plus postage. Genuine head bolts about $3.50 each. Cheap and genuine.

This is also a good one. But unfortunately they have run out of notch 4 gaskets

Thanks for all these info mate

Comment

• Martynhpajero
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Mount Gambier

amayama have them from $67.

Comment

• chaddy
                              • Jul 2019
                              • Victoria

amayama have them from $67.

Yeah this site is pretty good. But even though I put the best parts in it, I'm still worried whether its gonna give up again

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X