• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Bright + Blue Rag

Just spent 4 days in Bright. Towed my 16 ft Jayco Poptop van over from Cooma. Went both ways via Cabramurra and Tumut Pond dam. Road is unchanged from the last 50 years - winding and steep in places, but driven sensibly is OK for a caravan. Fuel consumption for the trip over was 12.3 L/100, and 13.3 L/100 on the return. At times the bar graph on the fuel display was way off scale.

No 1 Priority was Blue Rag. Awesome. I was in my NW Pajero with just my wife and myself, no other vehicles with us. I was on standard highway tyres, so it was no place for heroics. 1st gear low range (and diff lock, although not really needed) and walk the vehicle up and down the steeper sections of the track. There were some loose shale sections. The scenery was awesome. Alltold, it was an easy drive for the Pajero. My wife complained about the bumpy trip though...

The next day we went to Mt Porpunkah. A 2WD track, but the views are superb. After that we went round the back of Mt Buffalo. That was really a 2WD track as well, and the views are stunning.

Bright is a delightful place - so relaxing and so beautiful. Can really recommend it.
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Photos?
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Sorry - we were trying out a video, and I have trouble getting stuff off the camera onto my computer. Suffice to say it was awesome.

Comment

• mr gus
        • Dec 2012
        • ne vic

Thanks for posting that Erad, might have to head there in the coming days.
        Wasnt sure how my Pajero would go (lifted and muddies) and was a bit reluctant without any other vehicles to convoy but sounds like no problems!

Cant wait for pictures

Cheers

Gus
        NW Pajero VRX, Smartbar, Bushskinz x 5, Achilles XMT muddies, MM seatcover, Rhino crossbars, Diff breathers, 3 inch exhaust, rear shelf and diy parcel shelf.

Comment

• mk2grimace
          • Feb 2013
          • Benalla, Victoria

Thanks for the update, I'm heading up to Blue Rag next weekend. Been up there a couple of times, never seen it in the wet- I'd imagine it gets a bit more interesting after a downpour. Always been in driveable condition although the last pinch up to the trig point gets a bit sketchy if the steps have formed again and you carry some momentum..
          2001 NM 2.8TD GLS Pajero, ARB bar, 9000lb Tmax winch, Airtec snorkel, GME UHF, breathers, 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, rear storage, Ebay HID's, King EHD lift, LED lighting, dual battery kit, bushskinz intercooler/sump guards, narva +120 globes, tigerz awning, Exedy HD SMF clutch/flywheel kit, pinstriping aplenty...

To do list: Locker, sliders, transmission guard, blah blah blah....

Comment

• DT6061
            • May 2015
            • Tea Gardens

Just back from 4 days at Bright ourselves as part of a rapid 2500 km holiday incl via NSW South Coast. May have seen you at the Bright Big4, think we're having a tyre issue the day before you left? We were opposite the camp kitchen/a entities with Jayco Swift. Sadly we didn't hit the dirt. No recent 4wd experience (had fun years ago in a Suzuki Sierra), really didn't research before we went there and the cheese and kisses is a bit of a worrier. Would have, could have, should have spoken with you as it seems you could have given us some ideas. We did have a great time though, even via the black stuff there are plenty of beautiful places with no one around.
            2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by mk2grimace View Post
              Thanks for the update, I'm heading up to Blue Rag next weekend. Been up there a couple of times, never seen it in the wet- I'd imagine it gets a bit more interesting after a downpour. Always been in driveable condition although the last pinch up to the trig point gets a bit sketchy if the steps have formed again and you carry some momentum..
              They're starting to come back but still absolutely nothing like it was pre grading a couple years ago. Still steep but very smooth in comparison. Would have no worries in the wet I wouldn't think.
              MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
              Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

DT6101: Yes - it was me with the tyre issues. I had rotated the tyres just before I left home and forgot to put a valve cap on the L Rear tyre when I reset the pressures. Couldn't find any punctures, only the whole thing was nearly dead flat. There was a large chunk of tread chopped out in one part of the tyre. I pumped it up to 40 psi and put it on as a spare, and it is still up.

TCBarky:
                There weren't any notable "steps" on the run. There were some erosion control jumpups, and there was one puddle on one of the saddles, but that was the worst of the whole trip. Really, the trip was a doddle. My Pajero - bog standard except for a bullbar & towbar - took it all in its stride. I cannot see any problems even if it was wet. Some of the steeper slopes are covered in shale and that was the worst part.

Would I do it again? If you asked me last week, I would say no, but my feet are getting itchy already. I will try to get some photos off the video camera & post them. If anyone can upload, I may be able to email some video to them and they may be able to post it here?
                Last edited by erad; 15-02-16, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by erad View Post
                  DT6101:
                  There weren't any notable "steps" on the run. There were some erosion control jumpups, and there was one puddle on one of the saddles, but that was the worst of the whole trip. Really, the trip was a doddle. My Pajero - bog standard except for a bullbar & towbar - took it all in its stride. I cannot see any problems even if it was wet. Some of the steeper slopes are covered in shale and that was the worst part.
                  Just the last pinch is starting to show signs of the rocks poking through again, as you say there are no steps yet though. I've done it a couple of times a year for the last four or five and it's interesting watching it transition back slowly. They did a very good job of grading it.
                  MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                  Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X